Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Necromancer-AMV

Doom: Mutation V2.1 Released! 6/6/12

Because eventually, somebody will make something worthwhile in this category.

Also, "eventually," the Earth will crash into the sun.

But seriously, some people just want a different experience from time to time.

Mista_T said:

Also, "eventually," the Earth will crash into the sun.

50/50 chance there, so that makes the odds even less likely! :P

killer2 said:

It's already been done. Countless times. Why do people keep making this crap?

I can only speak for myself here, but I only just figured out how to do it and was feeling kinda proud of myself. Believe me, I wouldn't have shared my randomizer publicly if I had known everyone was going to call it a steaming turd.

I like the approach you've taken with this. Instead of packing it with sprites and sound files from Realm667 (like I did) you've accomplished everything with code. For whatever it's worth, I'm impressed whether anyone else is or not.

Nice one. I like how you managed to recreate even some well-known variations from the beastiary, with the use of pure scripting (Plasma Elemental comes to mind). Also, I liked the pistol fire/raise animation - very smooth! It's a pity that the other weapons have not been given the same smoothness - IMHO it'd improve the feel of the standard arsenal by one whole order of magnitude...

A couple bugs I found, though:

- berserk does not autoswitch to fist.
- shotgun altfire grenade makes no sound when exploding.

In short: something that's already nice to play with, but that could shine - at least from my point of view - if all weapons were animated like the pistol is.

The no sound on the grenade has already been fixed, and I can do the fist switch in a bit.

I'd like to do smooth weapon animation for more weapons, but it's a lotta work.

Hmm...maybe I was quick to judge. This mod really is nice, as I can see you did most of it yourself. Very nice execution indeed. However, I did find some bugs:
-the rocket launcher's alt fire consumes no ammo;
-the plasma rifle's alt fire also consumes no ammo.

May be just my old version of GZDoom, though.

The rocket launcher's altfire not taking ammo has been fixed, and the plasma rifle not taking it will be fixed momentarily. I'll post a V2 when I've got a little more feedback.

Sodaholic said:

Oh boy, vividly colored red green and blue items and monsters, this looks like crap.

Dick head.

Keep on truckin', Necro.

Sodaholic said:

Oh boy, vividly colored red green and blue items and monsters, this looks like crap.

...because the projects YOU have contributed to the community are so much better, right?

Sodaholic said:

I'm starting to believe your posts are the only refutation necessary to your custom title.

Sodaholic said:

You fail it! Your skill is not enough!

Sodaholic said:

Maybe this was an unsmiled sarcasm? Hopefully.

Anyway, nice. I remember the Doomworld community being described as quite harsh in comments (particularly during deathz0r's reviews), glad people are finally getting scolded for saying "crap", "sucks", "shit".

This is quite a good mod. For some reason people are not as receptive to these kinds of wads around here like they are over on the z/gzdoom forums.

Here are some improvements I think you should make:
1-The chainsaw gun saw sounds runs on way to long after you stop sawing.

2-The Quad shotgun should be able to shoot its primary twice before reloading.

I didn't a get a good look at all your custom monsters and items, so I can't really comment on that.

If its cool with you, I may use some of these in future project.

Oh yeah, forgot to add something. You can't just remove the chainsaw like that! That's sure to cause balance screw-ups!

Honestly, I like the idea of the Chainsawgun far more than I thought I would initially. It really helps when you're caught in close quarters and don't have time to switch weapons, which is something I've always wanted in a weapon. That said, the regular chainsaw should still be an option. You should also include a detailed lowdown on the new weapons and functions in the readme - I didn't even know the Plas Rifle's altfire could be charged until I reread the ZDoom forums thread you have.

killer2 said:

You can't just remove the chainsaw like that! That's sure to cause balance screw-ups!

Steve1664 said:

That said, the regular chainsaw should still be an option.

Point taken. I've been spitballing ways to both have the chainsaw alone to prevent unbalancing, and still have the chainsawgun w/o redundancy. Only thing I came up with was to have some sort of "attach/unattach" function where you can have the two separate (if you either have the chainsaw but not the chaingun, or vice versa) but once you have both, you can attach the chainsaw to the chaingun.

Steve1664 said:

You should also include a detailed lowdown on the new weapons and functions in the readme - I didn't even know the Plas Rifle's altfire could be charged until I reread the ZDoom forums thread you have.

I'm writing up a guide that explains all the weapons. Not quite finished yet. I would put the descriptions here, but DW doesn't allow for collapsible spoilers and I don't want mile long posts. Also, er, that bit about the zoomed shot being chargeable; it's out of date. They aren't.

In other news, Version 2 of Mutation is out! Check the first post for the download.

Version 2 Changelog:
-Explosion sound added to rockets.
-Quad Shotgun can fire twice in primary fire mode before reloading.
-Hold down primary fire when using the Chainsawgun to achieve a faster firing rate. Faster firing degrades accuracy, however.
-Rocket Launcher altfire now takes away Cell ammo properly.
-Plasma Rifle altfire now takes away Cell ammo properly.
-Infernal Baron corpses now disappear completely instead of going translucent.
-When health is at 90 or below, Stimpaks will be used automatically on pickup instead of going into inventory. Same goes for the Medkit, except it will be used automatically if health is 75 or below.
-Previously, picking up the Quad Shotgun in a level would give you a glitched version that "locked" you into that weapon, due to a backup version being kept in the actor definition. Said glitch didn't happen when using the "summon" console command. This has been fixed.
-Previously, picking up a Berserk didn't select the fist. This has been fixed.

Judging from the images provided, I don't particularly like the brightly colored Imps, but at least they are distinguishable. Once I feel like hooking up my lappy to the internet I'll download and give this a go, I don't trust my Desktop enough X)

Very good mod, you did a nice job here. And ignore the haters, they just want to get a rise out of you.

I like the item randomization, my only suggestion would be to make the RGB imps darker colored. Thanks!

Keep it up!

Mista_T said:

But seriously, some people just want a different experience from time to time.

There's better ways than this, I'm sure.

I like the new guns alot (esp. Plasma rifle) yet still, I hate huds where is only text, can you able the "bigger hud" also?

Csonicgo said:

Perhaps, but odds are they'll get bashed just as much as this one.

Csonicgo said:

There are better posts than this, I'm sure.

Anyway, just played through a couple levels of Doom2.wad. It's nice, I like the alternate fire of the weapons and the monsters have interesting fighting tactics.