Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yellowmadness54

absolute least favorite maps in doom or doom 2?

I'm going to join the imminent opposition against MAP05. I remember, virtually every time I play through Doom 2, entering upon MAP05 is guaranteed break-time. MAP25 really never stood out as anything special to me either.

When I decide to recall my collective experiences from any respective Doom 2 level, I can hardly remember a damned thing about MAP25, aside from the titular bloodfalls.

Lots of people hate maps I love (E2M9

Well, the starting cave area isn't too bad.

Aldaraia said:

When I decide to recall my collective experiences from any respective Doom 2 level, I can hardly remember a damned thing about MAP25, aside from the titular bloodfalls.

Not even the weird HOM-cube? :P

Doom 1:

For the first several years I had Doom I had only the SNES version. When I got the full game on PC I was so used to the way it played on SNES that most of the "new" levels didn't appeal to me very much. Many of the E1-E3 levels cut from SNES still don't feel as classic to me as the ones that weren't cut.

Has anyone else had a similar experience (playing a console port first, and not liking the "new" levels as much when you got the game on PC)?

Doom2:

The really narrow walkways in The Chasm always stood out. They aren't entertaining and there doesn't seem to be any point for them to be that narrow other than to slow things down. Which is generally a terrible reason to have something in a Doom level.

Map30. The spawning enemies was an interesting idea, but the mechanic of "wait for elevator, shoot rocket(s), wait forever for elevator to get back up again" is just stupidly slow.

Ep1: I love them all!

Ep2: M6:, I play this map for years and I still forget the spot of the red key.

M9: Boring and ugly, looks like its made in 10 minutes.

Ep3: M1: Not a good map to start a episode.

M2: I hate this one because the lack of ammo.

M8: Boring and simple bosslevel.

Ep4: M4: too short and easy to fit in with the other Ep4 maps.

DOOM 2:

M4 and M5 because they are boring and just not fun to play.

M12: Ugly design, boring to play.

M17: Ive never liked this map I don't know why but I just don't like it.

Leo Sosnine said:

I love that map, very funny. Maybe you just can't deal with archviles. They are so sweet. And they say their "argggh-arrgggh-aaarghh" so funny. Just love them.

it's a mixed bag for me - i like dealing with archviles, but have a miserable memory for these maze-like kind of maps where everything looks the same, so i get lost every time. it's a very original and memorable map, and the music just tops it off, but the maze style just isn't mine.

Gez said:

Use the imps to soften the cacos a bit through infighting. Once the imps are dead, shoot the cacos. Punch the demons. You can't get past them, but they likewise can't get past you and mob you.

reading my post from a few months ago, i think e3m1 isn't that bad. although i'd like a berserk pack for those demons. i remember how much trouble i had with the caco that followed me to the starting area when i played the game in early 1994, i had just a dinky pistol and didn't know how to dodge... and that hell sky really stood out.

e2m9 is the ugliest of the original maps, flat and with bad texturing, like thrown together at the last moment. that might be actually true, as petersen made his maps just weeks before doom was released, but it's still a poor excuse for a secret level.

terminator44 said:

E2M2: If I wanted to wander through a maze, I'd play Wolf3D.

agree that this map is rather flat and a curious mix of styles. however, exploring the spaces between those crates was really fun for me (as opposed to plutonia's archvile maze, this one doesn't look the same everywhere), and it's the perfect introduction to berserking the crap out of those poor imps.

The Courtyard of DooM 2. I just can't ever seem to like it.

And the only other map I USED to hate (which is strange as it's now one of my favorites) was Suburbs. It may be a bitch to pistol start on UV, but your priority should be clearing a few imps ontop to get the chaingun, then make a beeline for the library. Once your there, your stocked; Super Shotty and a box of shells, along with 2 more boxes and a backpack, plus a megasphere. It's practically heaven, along with the little almost boxed of corner where the SSG was, it makes everything go smoothly. Unless archie decides he's evicting your from there and you can't push his ass out.

Doom 1: Hard to choose, but I can say E3M2, this map has a not so good layout, and a shitty music.

Doom 2: Map21. A semi-urban city in hell, with D_STALKS (I REALLY hate this song), with boring gameplay, not to mention how short this map is. I wish this map didnt existed.

That level from TNT: Evilution called "Habitat", or something. It's quite a soulless and ugly map, although the author went on to create an awesome map for Icarus.

Okay, I just thought of some maps from Plutonia I don't like:

MAP01-MAP03: I won't bother with specifics for each map, the trio in general is bad. Disorienting, boring, and difficult for the wrong reasons. A terrible start for an otherwise good wad.

MAP07: This one is a bastard on UV. You have to kill Mancubi in a courtyard while troopers and chaingunners spray at you from the walls. Once you've killed them, a bunch of revenants spawn on the walls. You try to go to the lift that just opened to escape the missiles, only to find Barons of Hell. If you manage to get past them and jump into the moat, you now have to deal with Arachnotrons. While most of Plutonia's maps feel difficult, this one feels like a conga line of "Fuck you"s.

I don't disagree that you hate them. I don't hate them though. E4M2 is frustrating but still a neat map in my opinion. I think MAP09's music alone is enough for me to not hate it.

As for MAP05, getting dropped into imp ambushes and dark hallways isn't my favorite thing in the world.

In Doom, E3M1 (although not E3M9, as the concept is neat), and E3M2. E3M1 because it's a rather slow way to start a level. E3M2 for reasons unknown. I've just never enjoyed it. Maybe it's how cramped it is, maybe it's the actual design, all I know is that I dread E3 because of the first couple maps.

In Doom 2, MAP18, then MAP19 immediately afterwards. For some reason, I got hung up on both of them for some time on my last play-through. Would probably be tolerable if they were in different slots, but oh well. Oh, and MAP09, another one for unknown reasons. Just rubs me the wrong way, I suppose.

Marcaek said:

I actually like E2M3 :\

Seconded! And you know what, there are several maps in E2 which are much more rubbish than Refinery.

printz said:

Lots of people hate maps I love (E2M9, E2M4, E3M5, E4M2, E4M6, MAP09, MAP16...)

E2M4: Can anyone hate this timeless masterpiece?
E3M5: Mindblowing central area
MAP09: Great doom2 semitech level also music rules
MAP16: One of the best of the city maps to me

Cell said:

Seconded! And you know what, there are several maps in E2 which are much more rubbish than Refinery.

The only truly bad map in E2 is M9, what maps do you consider worse than M3?

Marcaek said:

The only truly bad map in E2 is M9, what maps do you consider worse than M3?

Well, I don't consider anything bad, but I state E2M3 is good as it is.
It gave me more memorable experiences than, for example, E2M5, in which I didn't get lost for the third time to play through.

Oddly enough, I find that E2M5 is one of the most memorable maps from that entire episode. It's one of the few maps that has a degree of height variation and more than one memorable location.

My Doom 1 dislikes: E1M6 (Central Processing), E2M3 (Refinery), E2M5 (Command Center), E3M4 (House Of Pain), E3M8 (Dis, only because of disappointment), E4M1 (Hell Beneath). I should mention that overall, my appreciation for the episodes declines; my least favourite map from Knee-Deep In The Dead is still preferable to my most favourite from Thy Flesh Consumed.

Doom 2, in general, I found to be very uninspiring. I agree that only half-a-dozen levels in it becomes lacklustre, with only a few exceptions.

My least favourite maps in Doom and Doom 2.

E1 - None

E2 - None, except for E2M9. Too short and uninspiring.

E3 - I felt that most of the maps in that episode lacked in polish compared to Sandy's original maps in E2. In my opinion, E3M4 was the only good map in the episode, but that was about it. I also liked the two maps by Tom Hall which Sandy completed for that episode, even if E3M7 had little enemies and mostly lava. Final level was anticlimatic, especially if you have a BFG.

E4 - I don't mind E4M1, but I do have to admit, it's difficult due to sparse ammo and health, not to mention the four barons when getting 100% secrets. Unless you employ some strategy and use your weapons sparingly, getting 100% secrets is suicide. Otherwise, I didn't find any levels in E4 I dislike.

Doom 2

About half of the levels suffered the same problems as Doom's E3 maps, then again, most of them were designed by Sandy Petersen. I have mixed feelings about Sandy's maps though. While some are garbage (Maps 21), or tedious (Maps 19 and 24), or meh (couldn't name them all), there are some exceptions (Maps 13 and 27). I'll leave out the two secret Wolfenstein levels though since they're intended to be easter eggs.

Ultimate Doom:
E2M9 - Hardly any effort was put into this as it was just a few simple rooms stuck together.

Doom 2:
MAP14 - Tiresome brown theme and architectual design.
MAP21 - Too simplely designed and kind of boring.
MAP22 - Jam packed and ugly looking.

Snakes said:

Oddly enough, I find that E2M5 is one of the most memorable maps from that entire episode. It's one of the few maps that has a degree of height variation and more than one memorable location.

I think E2M3 is uniquely well-designed as it introduces how to design with no much heigh variation and still, it keeps itself dynamic.

Of course, I wouldn't compare it to E2M4 for instance, but if I had to pick my worst nitpick from E2 (actually not E2M5), it definitely wouldn't be E2M3.

Snakes said:

Love it - from start to finish... textures, secrets, etc.
For me one of the best maps in Doom.