Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

On that note, I thought revenant missiles had splash damage for years. I don't know why. Probably the way it looks.

At some times I thought that the Arachnotrons shoot the green plasma blasts from their eyes, because those little cannons which they have beneath their heads are not always easy to see, especially from a long distance.
But regardless, the Arachnotrons will always be my favourite characters from the game.
And one of the main reasons why I hated DOOM 3 was because these majestic creatures were scrapped from the game's bestiary to be replaced by the irritatitng and ugly Trites.

Phobus said:

The second part to this confession is that I was mishearing "Oh no ya don't!" from a sound clip from Evil Dead which actually said "I'll swallow your soul!"

I have something similar but not for DOOM. In Blood, the Hell Hands say "I'll swallow your soul!"

When I was a kid, playing the shareware, I thought they said "What's up doc?" for the longest time.

Marcaek said:

That track is awesome.

I love it too.

I hate tricks n traps and barrels o fun in the original doom 2.
And i like the abyss.

I don't think i have ever beaten the original map30 with no cheats or mouselook. Though wait no, i must have done that at least one time, when i was beating the whole game on UV for the first time. I wouldn't have cheated back then.

I realise it is judgemental of me, but i immidiately feel strong dislike for people who say that they hate doom 3 :D

I purposely make Zdoom divide by zero

I still don't know how to use the stair build action

I conform to the grid when making maps

I rarely use difficulty levels when making maps

For the longest time, I never noticed that the Berserk pack would put the player's health up to 100 if it was below that when picking it up.

I thought until recently that the medikit was spelled 'medkit'. It didn't help that Doom 3 calls it a 'med kit'.

When I'm mapping, all the two-sided lines have to have the first side defs be the ones with the upper and/or lower texture. I spend time flippin' em as needed. If a line has a needed upper on one side and a lower on the other, it always kind of bugs me.

I do exactly the same thing, and chide myself when I find one that's awry.

I play Doom with the Sound Blaster AWE32 soundfont. It's the same sound card my grandmother had when I would play Doom on her Windows 95 machine. If you want to know what the MIDIs of Doom sound like on an AWE32/64, look up the videos on Youtube. Somebody uploaded all of the AWE32/64 renditions of Doom/Doom II MIDIs. So just search for a Doom title like "Hiding the Secrets AWE64", and you'll find the video.

I can really only play the IWADs on Chocolate Doom. Only way to play the original games is to play them unmodified IMO. I'll play PWADs like Alien Vendetta on other source ports though.

Sometimes I wish I had a CRT monitor to play Doom on. Gives playing Doom a much more classic look to it.

I love Ultimate Doom enough that all my Ultimate Doom playthroughs are 100% kills/items/secrets.

I love E4M2 of Ultimate Doom. Sure, it is a pretty tough map, but the Plasma Gun is your best friend in that map and the fact that you can mow everything down with the Plasma Gun makes it fun.

When I play on Chocolate Doom, I only mix in three sound effects. This way the Plasma Gun sounds much better and doesn't sound uber-obnoxiously loud like it does in source ports.

Outside of Episode 4 in general and E2M9 in Ultimate Doom, I hardly ever use the Plasma Gun. I only use it when I have really low health and when I am uncertain about upcoming health and monsters. It's a good escape valve gun, knowing you can blast an enemy into oblivion with it and knowing it goes down in seconds.

I ALWAYS play with the IDDT cheat enabled. Hey, if id Software allows you to use IDDT when playing on Nightmare, it's not really a cheat, right?

I played episodes 2 and 3 on SNES Doom before seeing them on PC Doom. I only had shareware Doom on my home PC, but my grandmother had Doom 1.666 on her PC, and that was why I loved going to her house as a kid.

It took me FOREVER to figure out how to beat Mt. Erebus on UV. Remember, you can only play Episode 3 on SNES Doom on HMP or higher. I found the secret exit in Mt. Erebus far before I found the normal exit. You know how the secret exit is in a blue box? I had no idea that that was the secret exit. I assumed that if you fell into that blue box that hitting the switch would just lower the box to the ground so you could freely escape.

After going through Mt. Erebus, then Warrens, it then took me AGES to figure out how to get through Limbo because of that #&$*(#&$(*ing Red Key. I kept only finding the BFG and its nearby teleporter in the maze, but one day, I explored the maze more in-depth and to my behold, the Red Key.

Regarding the above two levels, there were no FAQs or walkthroughs for me to help me out. The Key FAQ found on GameFAQs for Doom was absolutely useless in helping me get the Blue Key in Mt. Erebus and the Red Key in Limbo. There were no written walkthroughs for Doom, but I took care of that problem and wrote for all of the classic Doom games on GameFAQs. :)

When I was little (like, 5 y/o litle), I always paid attention to the marine's face in the status bar for health instead of actually looking at the health number.

When I was little (same as above), I thought the marine was wearing invincibility glasses when invincible and not having yellow, god-like mode eyes.

Well, that's it. I think.

peach freak said:

my grandmother had Doom 1.666 on her PC, and that was why I loved going to her house as a kid.

Your grandma sounds bad ass

Phml said:

On that note, I thought revenant missiles had splash damage for years. I don't know why. Probably the way it looks.

Or their blast sound. Those skeletal dreads are the worst thing existed in Hell ever.
Stating this as finally, over 8 years of play, I've finally switched off God mode for playthroughs.

Cell said:

Stating this as finally, over 8 years of play, I've finally switched off God mode for playthroughs.

Same here. Replaying even a little bit of a level because I died so infuriated me that single player was hardly an option. I've always preferred multiplayer coop for that reason.

I did make it through all of Ultimate Doom and Doom II the last few days with only a couple deaths in coop on UV.

Last night we started TNT.. Not so much.

Phml said:

I always thought that, too. Same with Mancubi flames. Must be their sound and size, Revenant rockets sound like regular rockets / barrel explosions so it's hardwired into my brain that there's splash damage connected to that.

Me Too! And it doesn't bother me either. Somehow I have never felt the need to look it up or anything since I'm so used to picking up the plasma gun on map06.

walter confalonieri said:

i never get how to reach the plasma secret in map05

Spinat torch is your friend.

Curiosity got the better of me urging me to get that plasma gun. You just aided me in killing a childhood mystery of the ages. I hate you. Still, that's a tough little secret to crack.

fiend-o-hell said:

Curiosity got the better of me urging me to get that plasma gun. You just aided me in killing a childhood mystery of the ages. I hate you. Still, that's a tough little secret to crack.

This was definitely one of the last secrets I cracked.

When I was a kid I only had the shareware version of Doom. I played that version for 2 years.

My Doom shareware came on 4 disks. With cheats I could get all 7 weapons. But a friend of mine had a different version. It came on less disks (2 I think?) and he didn't get all 7 weapons with the IDKFA cheat. I don't know what else was missing from his version. Does anyone what version this is?

In 1996 I got hold of the shareware version of Duke3D.
But I wasn't able to even run it on my old 386DX. I also got a CD-Rom that came with a magazine with the shareware version of quake and I didn't even have a cd-rom drive. The only thing I could do was look at screenshots of those games...

In late 1997 my parents finally decided to buy a new computer. A Pentium with 166Mhz and 16Mb ram. I remember exactly how excited I was when I heard the Duke Nukem 3D theme for the very first time!

Because of Quake, duke3d and many other games I forgot about Doom very quickly. I wasn't interested in playing more shareware Doom after 2 years.

The first time I heard the Doom theme was in 2001 when I got broadband internet and I pirated the full version of Doom. Then I played a lot of doom online with Doom Connector. I remember playing a lot with a guy from the Netherlands.

I never finished e2, e3, e4, doom2, tnt and plutonia. I have only seen the first few levels of all those episodes/wads.