Sign in to follow this  
Sharessa

Favourite Genre

What is your favorite game genre?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite game genre?

• FPSs (Doom, Quake, Halflife)
    • RTSs (Warcraft, C&C, TA)
    • Other Strategy (Civilization, Sim City, Dungeon Keeper)
    • RPGs (Balder's Gate, Fallout II, Ultima)
    • Console RPGs (Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire)
    • MMORPGs (Diablo II, Everquest, Ultima Online)
    • Puzzle Games (Tetris, Dr. Mario, Brix)
    • Other (elaborate, please!)

RPGs like Lunar I really love. But not the crappy online ones. Action RPGs like Zelda are cool too.

FPSs would be next.

Then maybe some flying games like Silpheed.

I like a genre where it takes more killer instict than brains and where you get immersed a lot at the same time.
So naturally, the FPS gets my vote.

I used to like RTSs, but I grew tired of having to spend so long time making upgrades/building stuff before I could send troops to attack, plus, I'm not that great a strategean.

RPGs are mostly boring imho, I just don't like spending more time having conversations/looking for puzzle items/solving puzzles than engaging in combat - I'm way too aggressive for that :-)

Hmmmm...my response is similar to one I made in the thread "Is DOOM the best game ever?" Yes, that level of sarcasm.

Console RPGs (Final Fantasy, Zelda, Shadowrun etc..) Doom is the only PC game I really like right now.

Erik said:

btw, since when is Diablo II a MMORPG?

Thats what I thought. Diablo kinda falls into the "brainless adventure" category, IMHO.

Crendowing said:

Pardon my newbiness, but, what's the MMO stand for?

Massive Multiplayer Online, IIRC.

Erik said:

btw, since when is Diablo II a MMORPG?

I figured RPGs are split into three categories:

Normal RPGS: The game focuses on actual Role Playing
Console RPGs: The game focuses on being pretty
MMORPGS: The game focuses on getting better items in exchange for carpel-tunnel syndrome

Erik said:

Shadowrun

For the SNES? I love Shadowrun for the SNES, it was the first console game I ever played aside from Super Mario World (still one of the best games ever).

Erik said:

Shadowrun

Is that the weird game with the 3/4 view? I remember it because it was the first 3/4 view game I played and I absolutely abhorred that viewpoint.

I grew used to it after getting addicted to Equinox, but never played Shadowrun again.

Shadowrun for the SNES had a pretty fun concept, collecting keywords you could ask other characters about. It was really fun unless you took the boring approach and asked every dude you met about everything you could (this would take ages anyway). Wasn't too thrilled with the ending part though with weird stuff like dragons and giant snakes. But the part up to and including the vampire club was really awesome. Also the dudes you could hire were pretty good, especially the foxy mage chick =)

I play games like FPS,DM,RPG, DM at lan parties, FPS and RPG at home. Also I love Delta Force, what is it? It's a team to team war game. No clue if you had this thingy listed or not, but there is nothing better than blowing up a whole platoon with your buddies.

Erik said:

Shadowrun for the SNES had a pretty fun concept, collecting keywords you could ask other characters about. It was really fun unless you took the boring approach and asked every dude you met about everything you could (this would take ages anyway). Wasn't too thrilled with the ending part though with weird stuff like dragons and giant snakes. But the part up to and including the vampire club was really awesome. Also the dudes you could hire were pretty good, especially the foxy mage chick =)

Hmm, I have no idea what you're talking about. I remember some sort of club, where I was knocked out, then taken down to this weird junkyard thing where I had to earn money by fighting big dudes in an arena before I could leave. Then I sort of stopped playing for some reason and my SNES is long broke.

Somehow that game (from the descriptions given) reminds me of Rise of the Dragon. I had that thing on SegaCD. I remember liking it even though it was annoying as hell and near impossible to figure anything out in.

i played the Shadowrun ROM on SNES9x. I got to the point where the Ork attacked me in the alley, but I couldn't figure out how to equip the pistol I found. I've heard it's a fun game, although ruleswise it has nothing to do with the Shadowrun TTRPG.

Oh man, I never to finish that game before I lost the rom and save data in a format =\

Liam the Bard said:

Oh man, I never to finish that game before I lost the rom and save data in a format =\

You didn't get to finish your sentence either it seems.

I was stuck on the damn Egyptian boss for 2 months. I finally found a Pro Action Replay code for invincibility and kicked her ass. I was lucky I decided to keep the code on, cause the next scene you had to fight all 5 big bosses again, including her.

The last boss(es) are really cool though, and the ending was pretty depressing too.

Liam the Bard said:

Orks and pistols? Weird.

That's Shadowrun in a nutshell. Tolkien-brand high fantasy and futuristic cybertech trying to share the city of Seattle. With lots of guns of every conceivable shape and size.

IMJack said:

With lots of guns of every conceivable shape and size.

Atomic Uzi, perhaps? =)