Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
KuriKai

Help the DHTP by reporting bugs

The DOOM High-resolution Texture Project now has a bug tracker to allow people to report problems with the textures contained in the pack. e.g. colour/contrast doesn't match, alignment is different, textures don't tile, etc.

If you know of a problem with any textures in the project please report them here http://dhtp.freelanzer.com/?page_id=226

The DHTP's new website is also located at http://dhtp.freelanzer.com

I think a lot of problems with the pack are ideological. Not to start a shitfest here, but I just have to say it

@Csonicgo
You're saying that because you personally don't agree with using high resolution textures, that KuriKai and everyone else who has worked on them shouldn't bother because you are quite happy with the low res originals?

Whether you are content with the low res originals, or if you will use his pack is totally irrelevant.

KuriKai's post is merely an invitation to those who are interested, that his project now has a better means for giving feedback.

DaniJ said:

@Csonicgo
You're saying that because you personally don't agree with using high resolution textures, that KuriKai and everyone else who has worked on them shouldn't bother because you are quite happy with the low res originals?

Whether you are content with the low res originals, or if you will use his pack is totally irrelevant.

KuriKai's post is merely an invitation to those who are interested, that his project now has a better means for giving feedback.

CSonicGo's post didn't say anything about disagreeing with the use of high-resolution textures, actually.

Speaking from personal experience, I ran into some ideological issues with the DHTP guys when I tried making some submissions a few years ago:

A major flaw I saw in the pack was that a lot of pieces that were supposed to match each other did not actually match. For instance, many textures were off-color or otherwise mismatched from the other textures and flats that they were designed to seamlessly match up with, and there were about five completely different versions of SUPPORT3, each appearing in different textures where it was used.

I tried submitting some patches to correct this, creating new textures and compositing existing ones to correct for the inconsistency issues and make the textures match one another like the originals are supposed to. Despite clearly explaining exactly what I was doing and why, my submissions were met with demands that I "stop stealing their work," and it was then that I understood why there were so many glaring inconsistencies in the pack.

Last I've checked, many of the same errors (among countless others) are still there all these years later, and critique of anything in the pack has usually been met with weeping and gnashing of teeth.

This is when one guy goes in, fixes all the textures, then releases his tweaked pack without consent and everybody explodes into rage while the actual players calmly enjoy the corrected graphics.

esselfortium said:

my submissions were met with demands that I "stop stealing their work,"

If I had been drinking something it would be all over the room right now. Seriously? WTF. Hurr.

A major flaw I saw in the pack was that a lot of pieces that were supposed to match each other did not actually match. For instance, many textures were off-color or otherwise mismatched from the other textures and flats that they were designed to seamlessly match up with, and there were about five completely different versions of SUPPORT3, each appearing in different textures where it was used.

That is why the project has a bug tracker now. So it's easier to know what has to be done to improve the project.

I tried submitting some patches to correct this, creating new textures and compositing existing ones to correct for the inconsistency issues and make the textures match one another like the originals are supposed to. Despite clearly explaining exactly what I was doing and why, my submissions were met with demands that I "stop stealing their work," and it was then that I understood why there were so many glaring inconsistencies in the pack.

It can't have been me that said that, as I have accepted that kind of texture before, and also have made textures that way as well(check the readme's for info about them)

Last I've checked, many of the same errors (among countless others) are still there all these years later, and critique of anything in the pack has usually been met with weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Critique of the pack has always been gladly welcomed; people saying the pack sucks has been met with opposition(as is human nature)

This is when one guy goes in, fixes all the textures, then releases his tweaked pack without consent and everybody explodes into rage while the actual players calmly enjoy the corrected graphics.

No one has ever managed to get a pack like that which you have described.

Also...

If anyone knows of a problem with any textures in the project please report them here http://dhtp.freelanzer.com/?page_id=226

esselfortium said:

CSonicGo's post didn't say anything about disagreeing with the use of high-resolution textures, actually.

It was inferred rather than stated. As far as I am aware, the goals of KuriKai's project, his ideals, are to produce a set of high resolution textures which replicate the look and feel of the original resources. From a conceptual and design point of view, there is therefore no difference between KuriKai's pack and the original id resources.

CSonicGo's objection on grounds of ideological difference I can only therefore infer to mean a dislike for higher resolution resources.

I've no comment on how the project is maintained, other than that I have personally always found KuriKai to be approachable and open to constructive criticism (I've no complaint).