Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lord FlatHead

Strange picture from Quakecon 2K1 presentation

A short while after DOOM was shown behind closed doors at last year's Quakecon, this picture surfaced on the net :

The question is : what's that on the screen ? The Bathroom scene and the Fire scene are well-documented, but the rest of the 2-minute presentation is still a mystery to those who didn't attend Quakecon last year. Let's take a look at the eye witness descriptions :

"the demo had a mixture of the old scenes from macworld, and some new scenes as well as old levels from new angles (that bridge opening up for instance). extremely impressive stuff. obviously the whole idea was to show off the lighting and that certainly worked well. the bathroom scene looked unbelievable. some dead guy lying on the floor, and an overhead light swinging back and forth. a monster (almost looked like one of those half life mutant dog thingies but a whole lot bigger) comes out of the shadows and starts kicking and eating the corpse, blood everywhere, etc etc. awesome stuff. other standout moments were an imp of some kind crashing through a giant plate glass window, and LOTS of fire in a few scenes." -- Shacknews

Well, this shot doesn't look like anything from the Macworld demo as far as I can tell. It's not from the bathroom scene or the fire scene either. It could be something crashing trough a window from a weird angle, though. I also recall someone saying there's a scene in which a mutated marine walks past a door with the UAC logo on it.

The impression that I get is that we're looking down a cylindrical hallway of some sort. The big bright thing looks like a laser, and the thing on the right is probably something organic.

Well, I dunno. Any ideas ?

Uh, it looks like the scene in Independence Day looking up at the ships as they blast the laser beam into the first building in LA and start the firestorm.

/Me gets flashbacks of Quake 2's laser traps.

Looks more like a bottom-to-top dramatic view of some kind of generator given the weird perspective and the circular simetry.

I agree with Zaldron. Definetly some kind of generator...

P.S
Haven't been here quiet a while...
Zaldron, what's the deal with you not being a moderator anymore?

Zaldron and Lüt apparently are secret supermoderators. They have wicked powers and don't show up on the main forums page. Unlike weak mortals like me.

FlatHead said:

Unlike weak mortals like me.

Well, you still have a higher rank than crendowing and me ;-)

Yeah, I can realize how you guys concluded such possibilities above, and come to think of it, I'm with Zaldron, too. It does look like some sort of generator, or could be some kind of fan spinning behind the wall that was shown in the scene from the macworld video below. Either this or that .

FlatHead said:

Zaldron and Lüt apparently are secret supermoderators.

It's not a secret: Forum Leaders, right under the listing on the main page.

orion said:

we need something like that for dolts.

Oh yes, I can already imagine it. Hey Lüt save that page to Team Insanity and make some modifications ;)

Zaldron said:

Oh yes, I can already imagine it. Hey Lüt save that page to Team Insanity and make some modifications ;)

I'll make something like that for the spammerz... wait I forgot the memberlist is activated again =P