Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

What is so funny about Youtube poop?

What is so funny about Youtube poop? I mean I love random humor and all but there is rarely anything in youtube poop videos besides completely random noises and images. Its typically not even funny in the "lol wtf" kind of way.

Or perhaps I am just not seeing the funny ones?

I think you're pretty much just not seeing the funny ones.
The thing about YTP is that people see them, think 'Oh look! Effects! I can do that!' and because it's relatively easy, they go and make lots of videos overusing those effects, whereas the one that inspired them might just have been using them occasionally. The better ones are the ones that do not rely on cheap effects. And there do exist ones that don't, believe me.

Is this your first day on the internet?

I can't imagine anyone actually finding YTP interesting or entertaining or amusing. But I may be underestimating people. Plus I'm probably too old to understand what 'dem kids are talking about anymore, and I'm just not getting something.

My brother was into YouTube Poop (and retarded GMod videos) for a long time and he fucking drove me insane with it. I didn't get it, and I still don't. What's the appeal?

It is very hard to explain. Somehow, when done right, random chopping, weird noises and other stuff can be tremendously funny, entertaining or even sexy. I think it might have something to do with brain reflexes rather than rational, clear thinking.

Some techniques, like sentence mixing or visual jokes, are much easier to understand of course. This is why mediocre poops like "Toys Gone Wild" and "Pride Patties" get millions of views, while real quality stuff that requires much more effort remains underground.

I also want to mention that YTP isn't necessarily about humor. There is much more to it than that. Take a look at those amazing videos for a good example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvE1Lv5fyfs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-Tt0zXMh2c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdT17AzW5IU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKIgfhIw4Wc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7OghlIoX80

I think YouTube poop is good because it helps camouflage serious YouTube episode videos from searches. They also seem like loopholes to see the episodes anyway, in case the executives put the unedited ones down.

YouTube poops can be potentially entertaining because taking media out of context can create unexpected juxtapositions. This is especially true if the media is very poor, like shitty 80s/90s sitcoms, crappy movies, poorly animated cartoons, low budget instructional videos, etc. The problem arises when people with no video editing skills get their hands on Windows Movie Maker and put no thought into what they do; they speed footage up, slow it down, repeat it, change the color temperature, add digital zooms, distort the ratio, etc. And that's not necessarily funny if there's no rhyme or reason to it.

Another problem arises when said goofballs are unable to resist the temptation to edit media popular in the YTP community, like the "Super Mario Bros. Super Show," those Mario and Zelda CD-i games, or cartoons like "Spongebob Squarepants." Yet another problem arises when the author is so self-indulgent that they stretch their poops to eight minutes or more, when two to three minutes would have been plenty.

As someone who is into video production, I've made my own YouTube Poops, and while I know this is boastful, mine tend to be funny because they're short, I create bizarre juxtapositions, I fiddle with the sound and music, and I work with footage that has not been overdone. I've linked this in the "Insanity Pit" thread, but this poop, which is only two minutes and uses footage from "Saved by the Bell," will surely put a smile or two on your face.

That guy does make some really good poops. But I find the funniest ones lie within bad media. King of the Hill is a great show, so it's funny when see it pooped, but seeing a TERRIBLE show pooped, like say, i-Carly or Family Matters, is much more satisfying. I'm working on a Roseanne one right now.

GoatLord said:

As someone who is into video production, I've made my own YouTube Poops, and while I know this is boastful, mine tend to be funny because they're short, I create bizarre juxtapositions, I fiddle with the sound and music, and I work with footage that has not been overdone. I've linked this in the "Insanity Pit" thread, but this poop, which is only two minutes and uses footage from "Saved by the Bell," will surely put a smile or two on your face.

Nope. Just looks like a bunch of clips mashed together. I don't see anything funny about it.

Can't say I really get the whole Youtube poop thing either. I'd rather just watch the original shows than see them taken out of context and being bastardized.

95% of all YTP are total shit. There are a few where they can splice the clips like a pro and are hilarious as a result. It's when they just resort to stupid effects that they get terrible, and thats most of them. The MLP ones by Dikekike are some of the best, especially What a Story Mark Crusaders.

And then of course there's Swords for Dinner:

Admittedly, even the best are stupid, but they're still hilarious for whatever reason.

I'd estimate that 99.99999% of Youtube poop is utter shit, and the two videos that are funny is completely coincidental.

The cult behind the scene seems to be retarded and laugh at nothing put loud screeches and farts.

Most poops with more than ~100000 views are no good IMO. They are way too simple, slow-paced and are full of unedited material.
I mostly watch more intense stuff, like:

YTPs have the potential to be funny but precious few are. The majority, the vaaaaaast majority, however are, as the name could be taken to imply, just shit.

I'd suggest that the majority of YouTubePoopers haven't got a clue what they are meant to be doing and are just editing and throwing random shit around because that's all they think a YTP is.

I have to admit that I've found some of the King of the Hill ones amusing, but pretty much nothing else.

chungy said:

I have to admit that I've found some of the King of the Hill ones amusing, but pretty much nothing else.

Possibly because the guy doing those is actually going to film school.

Edit: verified it, he is.

I tried watching a couple of them. They basically all boiled down to "GEE IT SURE IS BOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN SPAGHETTI SPAGHETTI SPAGHETTI SPAGHETTI SPAGHETTI SPAGHETTI SPAGHETTI SPAGHETTI SPAGHETTI SPAGHEEEEEEEETTTTTTTIIII GAY LUIGI MAH BOI" along with ear rape and seizure inducing crap

I love making them. I've gotten more clever with each one, relying less on gimmicky editing and more on messing with the sound and creating little montages that seem to flow nicely. Too many of them lack subtlety (yes, YouTube poops can be subtle) and often have glaring editing issues like high decibel volume (resulting in undesired clipping) and black gaps between clips. I wish more poopers had a background in video.