Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

Was Nine Inch Nails a phenomenon here years ago?

I'm a bit impressed. Google searches of NIN on Doomworld lead to threads that contain some rogue posts about "too many threads on NIN already". Was Nine Inch Nails so popular here during that time that people kept making weekly threads about it? Frankly, now I wish I was around here that time...

It's hardly surprising NIN was discussed to death around here in the past, considering Trent's involvement with id games. And it's a popular band.

And there's the NIN secret in E4M1. But I think it's just that NIN were very popular around the same time that Doom was one of the highest profile games. A lot of NIN music found its way into Doom wads, so most Doomers heard it quite often, and in midi form too - without all the lame singing and shit.

Load up any small episode of maps from the nineties that you can find. I guarantee you'll find a NIN midi in there (and most likely, it will be head like a hole). There was an unwritten rule for the time that you must absolutely include a nine inch nails midi in your wad if you were going to use custom music.

Those artists you just linked to are way better than NiN, because atleast I can laugh at their "so bad it's good" lyrics, and if you skip to 2:10 on the Fast Food Rockers... :P

Nine Inch Dildos music is way more cringe worthy than the bands you just mentioned. I can't stand bands that cross pollinate genres and try mix alternative and industrial elements with watered down half assed generic metal "riffs" but at the same time trying to keep these "metal" elements tame enough so that the songs can also be played on the radio.

To each his own, but I hate Nine Inch Nails and I think they're one of the worst bands to exist. :P

Heh, I've been trying to find an old map I played in 1996 with NIN music, but searching for NIN in the TXT files returns tons of stuff... All I can remember is you start outside and go down into some marble-themed dungeon where there's a bunch of imps. And yeah, that was pretty common too. ;)

DeathevokatioN said:

One of the worst bands ever.

hypocrite :P

It was mostly just me and Crendowing making NIN threads all the time. NIN was pretty much the only band I listened to around the time that I joined these forums. I was very narrow minded back then.

hex11 said:

Heh, I've been trying to find an old map I played in 1996 with NIN music, but searching for NIN in the TXT files returns tons of stuff... All I can remember is you start outside and go down into some marble-themed dungeon where there's a bunch of imps. And yeah, that was pretty common too. ;)

Pretty sure dwango5 had at least one NiN midi. I know for a fact that there are a few in the 32in24 series.

lupinx-Kassman said:

There was an unwritten rule for the time that you must absolutely include a nine inch nails midi in your wad if you were going to use custom music.

lol my unfinished megawad from '97 is no exception, Last is the title screen music.

DeathevokatioN said:

played on the radio.

Spare us the diatribe and just say this next time.

DeathevokatioN said:

Exept not

they're better than FOR EXAMPLE Lady Gaga
(hope I dont break ur heart if ure a fan of hers)

I like 'em. Not a huge fanboy or anything, but they did some cool stuff. On that note, Reznor's new project sounds pretty cool thus far.

DeathevokatioN said:

While I respect your right to opinion, I seriously want to strangle you right now.

:P

I think Trent is very skilled in the studio, but I don't care for his taking the ethos of guys like Jim Thirlwell and Raymond Watts and applying conventional song structures. This is why the Quake soundtrack is his most interesting work to me.

Back in the day, I thought Doomworld only listened to a bunch of 1's and 0's because of all the NIN threads and references. Now, everyone basically listens to what I listen to, except for the vocal few who shit up the metal threads.

DoomUK said:

Worse than [...] The Cheeky Girls [...]? Thought not.

WHOA! Let's not let our opinions get ahead of us.

lupinx-Kassman said:

Load up any small episode of maps from the nineties that you can find. I guarantee you'll find a NIN midi in there (and most likely, it will be head like a hole). There was an unwritten rule for the time that you must absolutely include a nine inch nails midi in your wad if you were going to use custom music.

My "Too evil" megawad will also use NIN midis (wherever it fits) \m/

I listened to some How to Destroy Angels songs and I found them a little monotonous. Maybe I'll adapt to them...

Okay I'm sorry NiN fans, and please don't strangle me Xaser.

Use3D said:

Spare us the diatribe and just say this next time.

I've always hated the wave of bands that cross pollinated metal with alternative music though. They diluted what has made metal so good to me, with their less driven and more generic guitar work. But yeah next time for the sake of not arguing with the whole forum I'll say it's because they played on the radio. Sorry if I offended you man. :)

DeathevokatioN said:

Okay I'm sorry NiN fans

You are forgiven. ;)

Bah, I was just kidding. *ahem*

*puts away piano wire*

Figure I'd point out that I'm not a metalhead though. I suppose that from a metal perspective, yes, the riffs n' such are very watered down. I like it from the perspective of a fan of an electronic music. I could probably break it down and come up with a bunch of reasons why, but honestly, it's the sort of thing just appeals to me. That's all. :P

I'm not offended by opinions, unless they're conveyed disingenuously. Saying NiN has somehow diluted a genre you prefer by making it accessible to another audience just smacks of insecurity to me. For the record, I'm not even a big NiN fan, I respect Trent but only own 1 album.

Did anyone catch that interview with Steven Wilson on MetalSucks.com? He mentioned wanting to work with Trent on some material. That'd be kinda cool.

DeathevokatioN said:

I've always hated the wave of bands that cross pollinated metal with alternative music though...

And I've always had a strong dislike for the pigeon-holing of music into specific immovable genres where "cross polinating" is seen as unacceptable. :P

Enjay said:

And I've always had a strong dislike for the pigeon-holing of music into specific immovable genres where "cross polinating" is seen as unacceptable. :P

Indeed. New styles and genres, metal and all its subgenres included, stem from taking something familiar and adding influences from something different. Without that, you just get stagnation.

I have a very wide music interest and I'll try out everything in /blogs' "What music...".

Downward Spiral was permanent in my 5-disk for a very long time. I like to shoot pool with it.

I like Trent's soundtrack work (especially with Fincher's last 2 films), but his music otherwise has never managed to really catch my attention. There's a couple of good tracks here and there, though. Perhaps there is some partial blame in growing up with a sister who overplayed every damn Nine Inch Nails song imaginable. It grew old before I could even give it a chance.

Basically, I'm neutral to NiN altogether.

While I love Industrial music, NIN is an exception. There are a few good songs, but it's hard to find one that isn't talking about his dick, sex, or some whiny bs. I'd rather listen to the liberal preaching of Ministry.

Though, I do love Trent's soundtrack in Quake. He does have good ambient stuff, he just shouldn't sing and write lyrics.

NIN was my gateway music to Industrial and aggrotech music. Back when I didn't have a computer, I had all of his albums. Now though when a NIN song pops up on my winamp playlist, I find I just skip to the next random song.

PRIMEVAL said:

There are a few good songs, but it's hard to find one that isn't talking about his dick, sex, or some whiny bs.

I think he finally outgrew all that stuff on Year Zero and instead wrote lyrics about how the American government are creating a future dystopia, and shit.