Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Where the heck is the "extended" shotgun graphic?

I remember years ago, seeing extra vertical pixels on the shotgun, which were obviously clipped for the game; they aren't even seen with the HUD omitted. So just now, I checked both doom.wad and doom2.wad in Slade3, and was surprised to find that although extended versions of the chaingun and rocket launcher are intact, the extended shotgun is not. Where is it? I'm not dreaming this up, am I?

No, GoatLord. You are the extensions.

And then the moustache was Fu-Manchu's.

this sure is a twisted revelation my friends

*ahem*

Check out the shareware Doom.wad -- that has them, I believe.

The perspective of the shotgun as it is looks really weird to me. The one in the beta looks a little more realistic but the huge hands make the gun look really small. It would probably look better if the hands were smaller.

The only thing I don't like about the shotgun is the ugly looking green pixels but I guess it couldn't be helped due to the limited palette.

40oz said:

The perspective of the shotgun as it is looks really weird to me. The one in the beta looks a little more realistic but the huge hands make the gun look really small. It would probably look better if the hands were smaller.

A toy gun was used in creating the shotgun, so I can assume that's why it looks so small in comparison to the hands.

Xaser said:

this sure is a twisted revelation my friends

*ahem*

Check out the shareware Doom.wad -- that has them, I believe.

can someone post this? I have never seen this ever.

So I actually decided to take a look this time, and realized I neglected to think about version number. The 1.9 shareware doesn't have it, but v1.1 does have the extended shotgun. There are extended versions of the pistol and fist as well, but one has to look at the press-release beta to get those.

There's an archive of all the Doom shareware/alpha graphical resources that differ from the final here:
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=26099

You'll be able to find the pistol, fist, and shotgun in the "Press Release Beta" folder there. Hope it helps. :P

[EDIT] I wadded 'em, for good measure. They've got identical offsets to the 1.9 IWAD guns (so you'll notice absolutely no difference ingame :P ), but here they are for resource n' whatnot:

http://ionline.vectec.net/doom/doomext.wad

Extended shotgun images, coming right up.

EDIT: Xaser, thanks for the wad. Now I can use it to extract and upload the shotgun images in PNG format.

That's an interesting question. The obvious answer of 'why' is "to save space", but they never touched the chaingun, BFG, or RL, and they decided to toss the extended pistol/fist graphics by the first shareware release. There's no difference whatsoever between the extended sprites and the full ones except for the extension -- even the offsets are set so that the sprites line up perfectly.

Anyway, Occam's Razor suggests the "Whoops! Missed a spot." theory. :P

Technician said:

Why did id decide to crop some of the graphic but leave the rest of the weapons intact for the final release?

Probably because it would block off too much of the player's view to have so many vertical pixels.

Amazed that I've never heard of this before. Here are the press release beta extended weapons if anyone's curious:

The rest...

There's also some interesting/amusing versions of the "exploded player" death animation which it seems got cut.