Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheNebulousThinker

Doom Speedrun Youtube Channel

No, it makes sharp turns look less jagged. This is a purely visual effect - it doesn't change the actual in-game events.

For instance, if a player turned by a 45 degree angle in one tic, and didn't turn at all in the next ten tics, then with smooth playback the viewing angle would shift more gradually. How gradually depends on the "factor" value that the user chooses. Any shots fired during the period while the sharp turn is being smoothed out will be fired in the direction the player is really facing, rather than the direction the camera is looking.

a small thread hijack... as some of you have already noticed, i started uploading my doom demos to my youtube account. videos so far (except the ancient zdaemon ones) were recorded with glboom-plus 2.5.1.3, 1600x900, pretty filters cranked all the way right, smooth playback on. music captured with timidity, fluidsynth and SGM-V2.01 soundfont.
yt messes with resolution anyways and i don't think i want to change the filtering levels or the soundfont (cause i love how it sounds), however in the light of this thread, i'd like to hear some opinions on:

smooth playback - should i start recording it snappy/jerky? i've been told my turns are surprisingly smooth for a speedrunner (i found out i'm rather below average in the mouse sensitivity department), but after rewatching the vids already uploaded, i found a couple of shots "off sync" because of fast turning.

music volume - it's rather low at this point, mostly because this is how my system records it despite me amplifying it a bit. should i bump it more? it doesn't matter in the uv-speeds i uploaded so far, but there are longer max runs ahead to upload and i guess louder music could be nicer.

brightness - my gl settings are nowhere near my software gamma, but it might still look bright to some. on the other hand, i find some vids on youtube too dark and non-descript, perhaps because of google's pesky postprocessing.

splash screen - should i bother with a second or two of it before the demo starts? i'd rather not, it seems like a vanity move. :)

Keep doing what you are doing. I've only seen a couple videos, but if all of your videos are recorded using the same settings then I don't see why you would need to change anything. Do what you please...It's your channel.

EDIT: For New Years I think I'm going to do a LP of Doom II so keep an eye out for that. Demos will still be uploaded when my lazy ass decides to view more demos but as of right now you can expect an LP coming your way.

I'll add my +1 for turning smooth demo playback OFF. When a player is feeling jittery or has a jerky style, I want to see that. When a player's turns are actually smooth then I want to see that too because that's just sexy.

Also, everyone has permission to upload my demos if credit is given. I'll try to include a permissions notice in future text files.

Whether any of my demos are worth uploading, I'll leave to you. Somehow my Sky May Be MAX got 10,000 views when Never_Again unloaded it. (Since then he's taken it down.)

Creaphis said:

Also, everyone has permission to upload my demos if credit is given. I'll try to include a permissions notice in future text files.

Ryback said:

Chiming in late to say I don't have any problems with any of my old runs being uploaded here.

This gives me a few more options. Thanks!

Yes, Relic is right. I am running that Compet-N YouTube page.

I'm posting the world records up on good faith that the community, and the speedrunner, will be okay with having their work shared. It's something I've been contemplating for a while now, and I was hesitant for a bit due to the varying degrees of 'high quality' there seems to be. I wanted to try to be as true to the original game, but have the 'attractive graphics' that would be pleasing to the eye. That was difficult to find a balance that I thought was good.

I do ask for some help though with collecting dates on some of the demos posted up, as that would help with cataloging and such. Any and all help would be appreciated.

I'm also open to suggestions. As of right now I'm unable to post up any records that are longer than 15 minutes, so the UV-Max Movie records are not going to be able to be posted up til then. However, they are already recorded and saved in video format on my hard drive.

The speedrunning community has been a firm part of my teenage years growing up, and I want to return something back to the best damn community I've been apart of.

Again, any help you guys have, I am open to suggestions.

Thanks.

One thing mentioned is turning off the "Secret Found" sound effect but keeping the message. Anyone know how to do this in PRBoom-plus/GLBoom-plus? Or do you guys not mind the sound effect so much?

You might have to replace the sound in the prboom-plus.wad with a null .wav. I agree with taking the sound out, actually, as it's more appropriate for slow-paced first-time play than for speedrun videos.

I can't seem to find a .wav file anywhere within the folder. Is there something I'm missing?

Just delete DSSECRET from 'prboom-plus.wad'
Note that when several secrets are activated in a short period, the message would be displayed throughout without any sound so people unfamiliar with the secrets won't notice the player activated 2 or more secrets.

kimo_xvirus said:

Just delete DSSECRET from 'prboom-plus.wad'
Note that when several secrets are activated in a short period, the message would be displayed throughout without any sound so people unfamiliar with the secrets won't notice the player activated 2 or more secrets.

True. Okay, another idea: open Doom2.wad with Slade3 or your lump editor of choice. Export the sound lump DSITEMBK. Open prboom-plus.wad. Delete DSSECRET. Import DSITEMBK. Name it DSSECRET. Then, when a secret is discovered, the viewer will hear the short and sweet item-respawning sound rather than the long, mysterious clanging noise that normally plays. I believe this was actually the default "secret found" noise in earlier versions of Prboom-plus. Another good replacement would be DSRADIO (the sound of receiving a chat message).

Are most people really in favour of keeping the message? I'd suggest removing the secret notification entirely (which can be done by changing just one option).

Grazza said:

Are most people really in favour of keeping the message? I'd suggest removing the secret notification entirely (which can be done by changing just one option).

It would be useful for all categories that involve secrets.

Creaphis said:

I'll add my +1 for turning smooth demo playback OFF. When a player is feeling jittery or has a jerky style, I want to see that. When a player's turns are actually smooth then I want to see that too because that's just sexy.

well, i'm another guy who rather likes watching demos than recording himself (i'm crap at that, simply), and i want to see what the player is actually doing, how he's moving the mouse etc, not watch a playback smoothed out for better viewing and wondering how the hell this guy is moving.

good idea with linking doomworld and the demo site, this might attract more visitors. new players came and started breaking old records like there's no tomorrow, just look at the TNT demo pack, so doomers should use every way of getting more people involved with this classic game.

1- I agree with smooth demo playback off
2- I disagree with the secrets message not appearing, i like to know when the player is visiting a secret.
3- I don't care about the sound when you get a secret, is it that important?
And the total time of the demo should be in the title of the video, not only in the description.

Ancalagon said:

2- I disagree with the secrets message not appearing, i like to know when the player is visiting a secret.
3- I don't care about the sound when you get a secret, is it that important?
And the total time of the demo should be in the title of the video, not only in the description.

2 - yes

3 - not really, but as an extra alert, for example when a player just opens a secret to make it count, but doesn't enter and take the stuff.

and posting the total time in the title makes it easier to find a certain demo in a playlist, instead of having to read the description.

entryway said:

mus_fluidsynth_gain config variable

thank you, thank you, thank you. i can start capturing the longer maxes now. :)

As for the Compet-N records YT channel, I have smooth demo playback turned off. I did that when I realized Panter's e1m1-009 was exiting with him not even facing the switch. I've stopped using it entirely at this point, even on playback of my own on my own channel.

I don't know if the secrets sound is a big deal. Someone mentioned it and I thought I'd ask for input is all =)

Wow I didn't realize how ugly some of those old max records of mine looked until I watched them again. I felt the same way when I watched my old pl32 max record to re-learn the route. Oh well, feel free to knock some of those down a notch lol. :P

Relic said:

It's funny when you say that some of your old world records are terrible, because they've held there ground some how?

I'm thinking he means visually.