Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Technician

Florida Cop Brutality

Fox Tampa Bay Said:
TAMPA - No doubt you've heard the adage: a picture is worth a thousand words. A picture of 62-year-old Nick Christie could be worth thousands of dollars when a jury sees it.

The photo shows the Ohio man restrained inside the Lee County Jail with his body covered in pepper spray.

"This photo is a picture of a man who is strapped to a chair naked inside a jail for hours with a hood over his face. That evokes thoughts of being tortured," says Cleveland-based lawyer Nick DiCello who represents the Christie family.

The photo, which was obtained by FOX 13's investigative unit, was taken in the final hours of Christie's life.

The District 21 Medical Examiner ruled his death was a homicide because he had been restrained and sprayed with pepper sprayed by law enforcement officers. But to this day, nobody has ever been charged with a crime, and the Lee County State Attorney cleared the sheriff's office of any wrong doing.

It's been more than two and a half years and his wife still can't accept what happened.

"I was shocked. This was something out of a horror movie," says Joyce Christie. She said her husband was depressed and was showing signs of erratic behavior a few days before leaving for Florida.

She called authorities and pleaded with them to take her husband to a hospital and be given his medications. Instead, he was taken to jail for disorderly intoxication.

Her lawsuit alleges he was pepper sprayed 10 times over a 48-hour period, at times while in a restraint chair.

Tom DePolis spent more than 30 years in law enforcement at the Tampa Police Department and Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office. He's seen first-hand the effects of pepper spray and knows its limitations. He can see no reason for deputies to repeatedly pepper spray Nick Christie since he was already in custody.

"The purpose is to temporarily incapacitate someone -- temporarily, that's the key word, so you can restrain them," says DePolis.

Monshay Gibbs was a deputy trainee at the jail at the time. In a video deposition, she testified that she thought the way Nick Christie was treated was excessive.

"He had a spit mask on and was naked," she said on the video while under oath. Gibbs testified that Christie pleaded with guards to take off the spit mask because he couldn't breathe.

He later died at the hospital. His heart failed from the shock of the pepper spray. The Lee County Sheriffs Office declined to comment on our story because of Joyce Christie's wrongful death lawsuit, which is scheduled for trial the middle of next year.

Welp, we're off to a good start this year. It'll be hard to top this example of police brutality. Please disregard that I suck...

I foresee these cops having a horrible afterlife in Hell...

Technician said:

It's been more than two and a half years and his wife still can't accept what happened.

So, it happened in 2009? :)

Let me just bend of for you.

Hahaha, that's great. I think I'll use that for a quit message. :D

Technician said:

The District 21 Medical Examiner ruled his death was a homicide because he had been restrained and sprayed with pepper sprayed by law enforcement officers. But to this day, nobody has ever been charged with a crime, and the Lee County State Attorney cleared the sheriff's office of any wrong doing.

I'm surprised nobody's facing murder charges over this.

It's the blue line of death! (no that's not right)
It's the blue screen of death? (no that's something else)
It's the blue wail of silence! (or some shit like that)

Ya I remember this from when it (actually) happened. Fucking pigs

and echoing what CSG said... Florida

lol

Satyr000 said:

This made me lol
http://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/09/nyregion/metro-news-briefs-connecticut-judge-rules-that-police-can-bar-high-iq-scores.html
"METRO NEWS BRIEFS: CONNECTICUT; Judge Rules That Police Can Bar High I.Q. Scores"

I bet Connecticut isn't the only state doing this. Sure explains a lot.

Wow, you can't make this shit up.

boris said:

I'm surprised the victim isn't charged for trying to discredit the officers by dying.

[edit] like http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-train-fatality-suit-20111229,0,1641941.story

It's like someone enabled ludicrous gibs in Illinois.

I've had run-ins with cops of both good and bad varieties. It feels like every police officer is one extreme or the other.

The Long Beach Policed Department scares the living daylights out of me and is the primary reason why I'd never live in that community. They harass everyone without prejudice or reason. They once searched me and kept me in handcuffs for 45 minutes because I fit the description of a robbery that happened nearby.

I asked them what the description of this person was, and I am not kidding:

"White male between 5' 9" and 6' 2" in his lower-to-mid twenties."

Seriously.

Cops do whatever the fuck they want and it is always excused by the system. They are the brutal hand of an arbitrary rule, being slowly and almost invisibly transmuted into a domestic army against the citizens by replacing or retiring the "good" cops and replacing them with thugs who are willing to exert their psychoses on the populace at large.

If you think the same kind of brash inhuman cruelty displayed by the military in Iraq and Afghanistan hasn't been packaged up and imported back home to America, you're either asleep or just willingly blind.

There isn't really anything we can do about it. We can protest all we want, even going so far as to circulate examples of police brutality (which is the case here), but it will not make a difference. It takes a higher authority to make the changes necessary to ensure that police officers do not violate human rights.

GoatLord said:

There isn't really anything we can do about it.

Sure there is.

Just how willing you are to accept the consequences of your action or inaction.

Yes, it's hard to do this stuff, and easy to talk about it. but there will be a time and place when the easy doesn't clear our conscience anymore.

"A large portion of his body was thrown about 100 feet on to the southbound platform, where it struck Gayane Zokhrabov, then 58, who was waiting to catch the 8:17 a.m. train to work. She was knocked to the ground, her leg and wrist broken and her shoulder injured."

Jesus...that'll fuck up your day x_x

HavoX said:

I foresee these cops having a horrible afterlife in Hell...

Quite the opposite, they will become devils in Hell, get issued a pitchfork and continue their "work" there. How do you think devils are recruited?