Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have an interesting idea. Instead of making a megawad for gameplay, why don't we try making one for graphic art.

EDIT:
Add a few challenges to each map so that each structure has a gameplay purpose.

I think that's a really cool idea, but it should still include monsters, killing demons and exploring -like another Eternal doom but without the switch hunts hopefully.

DoomHero85 said:

I have an interesting idea. Instead of making a megawad for gameplay, why don't we try making one for graphic art. I.E. Make maps without monsters simply to see what cool structures can be made for the player to explore. Secrets of course can be included.

This rings a bell.

You all seem to be missing the point, I mean a community project, doesn't even have to be a full megawad, maybe just a community map where the idea is to use cool architecture and exploration to make a map interesting. It would actually make sense for this to be a zdoom map. I don't even mean using new textures and graphics.

I think people are just trying to give you ideas and sources of inspiration. It sounds like a nice project idea, although I do think it would be best if there were monsters or some sort of gameplay element, even if the focus is on eye candy and exploration. My favorite maps are the ones that create whole environments with their own atmospheres--maps that have a true sense of place--but there has to be a goal for the player, and a clear sense of trying to accomplish something.

I'm all for levels that emphasize exploration, although I think it's best done when there are also monsters to kill. Like for instance; Curse of D'Sparil's E3M2 "City of Lost Children". Or Alien Vendetta's "Beast Island".

Seems like a good idea, but I'm to busy with other maps to contribute now.

Make an eyecandy map set out of a 18 year old game (outdated graphics) and not even populate it with challenges?...

How about a thematically challenging megawad? Much like Purist's maps in October.wad, the first map I would consider the "chainsaw" map, the second map I would consider the "rocket launcher" map, the third map I would consider the "survival" map, etc...

The art concept could be viewed as an added bonus, and would certainly make the megawad unique.

That's pretty much how I went about making those maps in October.wad (or Oct11.wad as I think the filename ended up as) - treating them as short concept maps to practice gameplay ideas. Making maps in the context of a non-serious project gives you the opportunity to test the execution of ideas without feeling as though you're wasting time or under pressure to make it work within a bigger map.

In that respect I support valkiriforce's idea and might contribute something if the project gets up and running.

purist said:

Making maps in the context of a non-serious project gives you the opportunity to test the execution of ideas without feeling as though you're wasting time or under pressure to make it work within a bigger map.

Huh? I've always been confused by this way of thinking, can't people experiment and play around with fun and gimmicky gameplay ideas in serious megawads as well? And do players actually let out a sigh of disappointment when they encounter a set piece that doesn't "make sense" in a map that would otherwise be your normal E1 themed clone or gothic map?

DeathevokatioN said:

Huh? I've always been confused by this way of thinking, can't people experiment and play around with fun and gimmicky gameplay ideas in serious megawads as well?

Yes, but from personal experience it's sometimes useful test-driving gimmicky set-pieces prior to trying to trying to fit them into a serious map. Previously, concepts that worked well in my head didn't translate as well as I pleased in the map itself and with the benefit of being able to evaluate why retrospectively I can then make them work better next time.