Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

well compaq is gay. They locked the ability to add RAM and to get into the CMOS. i added a stick of 128 to a friends PC and it came up saying "incorect memory size" it would only use the RAM it came with. then i went to look at his BIOS, it then asked for some sort of compaq pasword. fuck,n gay is what i have to say

Do a google search for the motherboard's manufacturer and see if you can get some help from them. Sometimes there are dip switches on the motherboard that can reset bios passwords. I'm certain there's a way you can get around this. You can also try removing the battery (if you can) and waiting awhile to see if the password info gets lost. It may not work, but it's worth a shot.

yea it is called the reset jumper. we did that and the RAM now works. i was just saying it was a bitch that compaq would do that

I remember Compaq (at one point) made different type of RAM for their computers, I believe they added an extra 384K of RAM onto each of their chips for conventional memory purposes. IIRC, that meant that only Compaq RAM would work in boards that were designed to utilize those chips.

i do use LINUX, and i like it very much, but anyway after a quaick CMOS reset i was able to get the RAM to work. besides the system would not even boot before we reset the whole ass in a box

Yeah Compaq aren't the only ones who do this sort of thing,Time,Tiny,Gateway so many of those companies do this sort of thing to ensure the uninitiated go back to them for upgrades.

Doom-Child said:

Build it yourself. 'Nuff said.

DC

Exactly wot I did.Must've been 1/3 of the price I would have paid for something ready built!

Yeh and ready built always defer to price and stick some cheap crap in when it comes to video, modem , sound etc, When you build yourself you know the quality of the stuff you put in.

My niece just bought this peice of shit Dell when I told her I could build her a bitchin' Ghz machine for a bunch less. Then she brought over this junk cheapo CD burner. What can you do though? You try to help people but they just don't get it....