Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Movies that represented Doom better than "Doom"

Most of us here depise the Doom movie for being cheesy and having little to do with the game, save for a few references and some of the aesthetics. However, I've occasionally seen Event Horizon cited as being a better adaptation than the 2004 release. Although it had not a single demon within in--or even the use of weaponry--Event Horizon did embody a handful of things synonymous with Doom: The movie was primarily set on a massive, gloomy space ship which had a sentient presence, resulting in a stream of horrific violence. The mixture of science fiction, explicit gore and a haunting sense of evil echoes Doom in more ways than one. Are there any other movies, whether they are Hollywood films or straight-to-video releases, that have had a similar effect? Discuss.

A lot of Doom is inspired directly from films such as Aliens and Army of Darkness, so those would have to be included by default.

GoatLord said:

The movie was primarily set on a massive, gloomy space ship which had a sentient presence, resulting in a stream of horrific violence.

This makes me think of Deadspace.

PRIMEVAL said:

Event Horizon is the only one I can think of off-hand. Kinda wanna go watch it again.

Yeah, that's the best fit of them all. While Evil Dead and Aliens are bases for Doom. It's Event Horizon that got the elements that make up Doom. Failed experiemental Portal that ends up leading to a place one could only describe as hell. Lots of blood, corrupting evil and space.

Another vote for Event Horizon. Even as I watched it for the first time I started thinking of it as basically a Doom movie in mood if not action.

Yup, gotta chime in by saying Event Horizon. Alien/Aliens may have been inspirational in the creation of Doom in the first place, but Event Horizon was better Doom movie than Doom was.

Good horror movie up until that part at the end where the comic relief character ruins all the tension of the climax of the movie. Everyone who's seen it knows what I'm talking about, but I won't spoil it too much for those that haven't.

GoatLord said:

Although it had not a single demon within

Actually:-

Spoiler

Though it's never stated outright I always thought Sam Neill gets possessed by one, which is why he went batshit and gouged his own eyes out and stuff. So yeah, Sam Neill was the demons.