Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

how does a modern-day cruise ship capsize so dramatically?

If the hull is so badly damaged, the ship will capsize. Engineering improvements can only do so much to stop that from happening. You might as well ask why modern ships aren't 100% unsinkable yet, or why planes can still fall out of the sky.

So if there's a hole in a boat, it'll sink? Who knew. I thought they floated on a pillow of fairy dust and hopefull dreams.

Water is a lot heavier than people might think. A cubic meter of water weighs a metric ton.

DoomUK said:

, or why planes can still fall out of the sky.

There are more planes in the ocean than cruise ships in the sky...

Ships are sinkable, yes.

However, I've seen fishing boats that won't sink at all because of the material used. you could blow one up and the pieces would still float on the water.

That being said, I heard that the Captain was a total idiot on this one but that was on the BBC in the morning so I'm not sure if that's the case anymore. But holy shit, people were lucky to swim to shore.

Csonicgo said:

However, I've seen fishing boats that won't sink at all because of the material used. you could blow one up and the pieces would still float on the water.

Even a syrofoam boat could capsize, or even sink if it took on enough water. Ships of the line were wooden, got blown up all the time and sank despite the fact wood floats. Anything less dense than water will "float". What the hell kind of boat are you talking about?

Wow, I never thought people would have to start coming up with conspiracies to explain how a boat with a hole in it the bottom could fail to stay afloat. Thanks, internet.

Quast said:

Even a syrofoam boat could capsize, or even sink if it took on enough water. Ships of the line were wooden, got blown up all the time and sank despite the fact wood floats. Anything less dense than water will "float". What the hell kind of boat are you talking about?

No matter how I read and re-read this, you seem to by implying that styrofoam is denser than water.