Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Decided to just turn this into a thread about the project itself.

EDIT:
Original title: How do I rip resources from the Windows 9x maze screensaver?
Original post: What the title says. How could I go about ripping the textures and sprites from it?

They're probably stored as resources inside the executable. Use a resource editor to extract it?

fraggle said:

They're probably stored as resources inside the executable. Use a resource editor to extract it?

This will net you the four main textures just fine, so this is your best bet.

I'm not sure how the rodent is packed in there, though.

And, if you're lazy:

EDIT: Also, a random thing no one here probably knows, but I was poking at the 3D Text screensaver in much the same manner and pulled out this image:

It seems to be a semi-common stock image, as I've seen it used to test simplistic environment mapping setups in the past, but I have no idea of it's origins. The only thing I know is that a variant of this image appeared in an early OpenGL red book, where they mentioned that the image was a photograph of a coffee shop in Palo Alto, taken with a fish-eye lens. That's about it.

AgentSpork said:

Making a Maze Screensaver TC for Doom, are we? :o

Yup. :P By the way, thanks, InsanityBringer!

The coloured letters on the table in the fourth image look earily familiar to Google. :P

I actually want to use the mutant rats from the SNES version of Wolf 3D. I'd rip them via screenshots, but the resolution is far too low for that. What's the best way to rip them? If it makes a difference in the ripping process, I'd like to mention I'd rather grab them from the beta version, since that one had blood.

Sodaholic said:

I actually want to use the mutant rats from the SNES version of Wolf 3D. I'd rip them via screenshots, but the resolution is far too low for that. What's the best way to rip them? If it makes a difference in the ripping process, I'd like to mention I'd rather grab them from the beta version, since that one had blood.

You might get in touch with InsanityBringer on ZDoom forums; I seem to recall he was working on a program that could examine the SNES game's sprite resources.

Sodaholic said:

If you're working from a ROM, YY-CHR might do the job. I used it to edit graphics in a Super Mario World mod I never bothered finishing.

Heh, a lot of people refer to that screensaver as the Doom screensaver. It would be great if a WAD could be made about it.

But yeah, what about the color flashy walls? Were those done in the code itself or were they animated textures?

I imagine they were still pictures of fractals, and the program cycled the hue values in realtime.

I have no idea what they were. I found 8 other resources in the .SCR that could have been images, but I'm not sure what format they are (the only noteworthy data is that the first four bytes of each one were "A3 A2 A1 A0"), but at this point I'm trying to reverse-engineer the potential format of an image format contained in a screensaver from the mid 90's.

Okay, so I've decided to take this on as a fullblown project. I'm going to basically have it be like a dungeon crawler fps, where the monsters just wander around until you're near them, at which point they'll start chasing you until you're no longer in range. The gameplay will basically consist of scavenging for supplies scattered throughout the maze, killing a certain percentage of monsters until you're allowed to exit the level. There are 30 to 60 levels planned (not hard to throw them together at all, it's just simple mazes). It will probably use a custom version of ToB GZDoom, and will be packaged as a standalone game.

The current working title is Maze-95. Any better ideas for a title, or should I keep this one?

Oh, and screenshot of what I've got so far.

http://i.imgur.com/TgyaG.png

By the way, thank you for helping with this InsanityBringer, it means a lot to this project.

I really have to wonder why in the world you need not only ZDoom, not only GZDoom, but Tower of Babel GZDoom to make a TC based on the Windows 95 maze screensaver.

I mean, do you need any source port to do that? Honestly?

esselfortium said:

I really have to wonder why in the world you need not only ZDoom, not only GZDoom, but Tower of Babel GZDoom to make a TC based on the Windows 95 maze screensaver.

Maybe he wants to take advantage of DECORATE and full color HUD?

Technician said:

Maybe he wants to take advantage of DECORATE and full color HUD?

Regular ol' ZDoom can do both. If it's the colors he's worried about, that can be done with some palette tweaking.

esselfortium said:

He wants to have the upside-down pickup with the same camera rotation effect.

esselfortium said:

I want to use GZDoom, as I want full color, and I'd like to be able to use ToB's weapon bobbing effects. That, and what Gez mentioned, I need to have rotation effects.

esselfortium said:

Honestly, a fully faithful recreation would be pretty difficult in vanilla.

Speaking of fully faithful recreation, I've been studying the original screen saver some more, and found some more nitpicks in the texture scaling that I fixed (floor and ceiling textures are actually 1/3 scale compared to the wall textures). I also wrongfully assumed that the renderer used linear filtering, when it in fact is nearest (you can blame that on my shitty memory). I don't count the ceiling texture as using linear filtering during rendering, as it is only prescaled 2x using bilinear filtering, still rendered using nearest.

In case I haven't already mentioned, the wall textures are scaled 0.75 vertically, creating 4:3 wall panels.

http://i.imgur.com/AxdHh.png

Aliotroph? said:

Why would anyone want to play 30 levels of that? Five would try my patience.

This isn't gonna be just a direct conversion with the original "gameplay" intact, I'm adding gameplay elements to (hopefully) keep it interesting. The automap can be used, and everything will be shown from the start, just like the screensaver's automap, so you won't get lost.

I can understand if maze-crawling isn't your cup of tea, but I want to make it clear that there will be plenty more to do than just aimlessly wander mazes.

Guest DILDOMASTER666
Sodaholic said:

I want to use GZDoom, as I want full color, and I'd like to be able to use ToB's weapon bobbing effects

Oh my god there are weapons in this?

Oh my god

Fisk said:

Oh my god there are weapons in this?

Oh my god

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? This is going to be more than just walking around, I plan to implement combat. Really, wouldn't this just be boring without shooting the rats? :P

Guest DILDOMASTER666

I was originally going to go into a hilarious, pointless tirade about the ripped resources in this project, or about how you're using of all things GZDoom to implement it, but I stopped when I saw that screenshot and now I don't know what to think anymore about this project.

Fisk said:

I was originally going to go into a hilarious, pointless tirade about the ripped resources in this project, or about how you're using of all things GZDoom to implement it, but I stopped when I saw that screenshot and now I don't know what to think anymore about this project.

Don't worry the coup de grace is when it is confirmed that this will be a CLOSED-source modification that will bit-rot and become unplayable in 3 years.