Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ReFracture

Playstation Doom multiplayer

I'm considering purchasing two copies of Playstation Doom and the link cable just to try it out. 'Why?!' For the hell of it.

Anybody ever play Playstation Doom multiplayer?

I used to play Playstation coop all the time with a friend when we were in school. Good times.

What can you say about it? It's PS Doom in multiplayer. I guess the main drawback is the two player limit. Can't recall any method of allowing more than two players to play DM.

I don't think this is a good idea.

I own playstation Doom and Final Doom and while playing them once or twice is fun for the sake of getting to play the PSX version of Doom the game suffers from poor framerate and there are mods that recreate the PSX verison of Doom for the PC.

I don't think its worth it to dish out cash for 2 copies of the games and 2 ps1's just so that you can play some PSX Doom multiplayer which you would probably grow sick of fairly quickly anyways.

hardcore_gamer said:

I don't think its worth it to dish out cash for 2 copies of the games and 2 ps1's just so that you can play some PSX Doom multiplayer which you would probably grow sick of fairly quickly anyways.

The Playstation version of Doom is good, Final doom not so much. I've played it, I had a friend's copy of the game for a couple years until he finally asked for it back. I miss it, heh.

I had a couple of friends that played constantly. Neither of them were computer guys. I never got in to it.

I've never played playstation Doom multiplayer, or playstation doom at all for that matter. I've read people's experiences with the game to be not-so-great. A remotely similar thing that I'm working on is getting four used office PCs for $50 on ebay, running odamex multiplayer with them on a home LAN network, connecting a Logitech F310 Gamepad to each one and projecting them on a widescreen TV.

As of late I do not have a definite answer on how I'm going to do the display. Streaming video uses a lot of bandwith, using a remote administrator occupies a video driver so that I cant run the program and odamex at the same time, and a device that splits 4 video inputs on one display is either really expensive or not very good quality. My best bet is searching for a TV that comes with built-in picture in picture settings to get the desired effect. If all works well I'll be able to play coop, deathmatch, team deathmatch, duels, and CTF on any wad I desire.

Mike.Reiner said:

Anybody ever play Playstation Doom multiplayer?

Me, lots.
It's fun enough, but keep in mind that along with the games and cable you'll need two TVs and two old-school PlayStations -- not PSOnes, PS2s or PS3s, I mean the old grey slabs.
Unless something's changed in the last couple years, nothing but the old units have, recognize or utilize a link ability for the PS Doom games.
As was stated earlier, you might just wanna go with a PC simulation. Or, if you want the best console-locked multiplayer, try Doom II for Xbox360 if you've got friends who will play.