Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HavoX

Tech junkies, post your rig specs here.

DoomUK said:

So that underclocking business a few months ago didn't help?

It made it last a few more months, but I underclocked it as much as possible and even then it started becoming unusable.

My desktop's largely unchanged from what I posted here, apart from replacing the floppy drive with a Sony MPF82E-U1 USB drive that it shares with the laptops.

Danarchy said:

Put it all together myself. I feel accomplished.

Same here, I prefer do-it-yourself desktops.

Case: Thermaltake Element-S
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k @4.4ghz (w/ Thermaltake Contac 29 cooler)
Mobo: Asrock Extreme3 Gen3
RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8gb DDR3 1600
Video: NVidia GTX 260
HDDs: 128gb Kingston SSD, 2tb+1.5tb+600gb Seagate internal, 2tb USB3 Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk external
Optical: Samsung blueray
Monitors: LG Flatron E2340v 23.5" LED primary, Acer x243HD 23.5" LCD secondary, both at 1920x1080
Keyboard: Logitech Illuminated
Mouse: Logitech G500

Plan on upgrading the video card later this year when the new nvidia series cards are out, apart from that everything else is pretty well up-to-date.

Still on the same rig I got in 2006, just with a new graphix card and some extra RAM. Will probably upgrade when (if?) new Mac Pros come out this year.

This comp was a beast when I got it, but def. gets bottlenecked by CPU in intensive tasks these days. Still not bad for a system that is ~6 years old.

Xeon 5150 @ 2.66GHz x 2 (basically two C2Ds)
7GB of DDR2 FBDIMM @ 667MHz (expensive :-|)
Mobo, case etc. are all Apple designed. Nice tool-free HDD trays.

Radeon HD5770 1GB with Apple Cinema Display 30". The monitor was almost as expensive as the computer :-\. Nowadays a nice 27" panel set you back about half what I paid for this. Still, it's a really nice monitor and is still going strong after all these years.

1TB Caviar Black as my system HDD, with 1TB Caviar Blue for media / VMs and the original 250GB HDD that came with the system for Wind0ze and games.

CPU: Intel C2Q Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz
GPU: PNY Nvidia 460GTX 1 GB
RAM: 2 x Kingston HyperX 1GB
MOBO: ASUS P5Q
PSU: SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W
HDD: Seagate 250 GB
DVD: ASUS DRW-24B1ST
Case: Rosewill Challenger
Sound: Onboard Realtek HD
Mouse: Logitech G500
Keyboard: Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Monitor: ASUS VH222H (1920x1080) and Acer X193W (1440x900)

It's about six months from the 4-year mark when I build a new tower. But I'm not really feeling it this time. None of the PC games I play tax my current computer, much less word processing or internet browsing.

Yep, I still have the most boss keyboard on Doomworld. Unless you guys break out with some realforce or happy hacking action, looks like I'm the undisputed king of typing.

I wouldn't call myself a tech junkie but here are my specs:

Moniter: Q2009 1600x900 res

CPU: i7 920 QuadCore 2.66GHz 8MB L2 Cache

RAM: 6GB 3x 2GB DDR3 1066MHz SDRAM

GPU: GTS240 2GB VRAM

HDD: 2x 500GB (I don't feel like listing the details.)

Disc Drives: 1 DVD-RW and 1 BLU-RAY read only. (Again I don't feel like listing the details.)

I couldn't be bothered to list everything else.

CPU: Intel Quad Core i5 750 (Overclocked @ 2.79 GHz)
CPU FAN: CPU FAN: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
GPU: Nvidia GTX 560 Ti
RAM: Kingston 8GB DDR3
PSU: Titan Power (750W)
HDD: 2x 1000GB
Monitor: Dell (1920x1080) and an LG (1280x1024)

Gaming Gear:
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder
Mousepad: Steelseries PC Qck+ Mouse Pad
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa
Headset: Steelseries Siberia v2

After writing up my specs, I realised how much I have forgotten about my computer specs. I should really check up on this stuff.

CPU: Pentium 4, 3.4 GHz, Hyper-Threading (yes single core)
GPU: GeForce 250 GTX 1GB
RAM: 2GB
HDD: internal 80GB and 320GB, external 1.5TB
Bought a new monitor on christmas last year, it's a 23" LED LG, capable of 1920x1080 resolution.

Even though it's a fairly old computer, I've been playing Skyrim on it with medium to high settings, at 1920x1080. It's pretty impressive if you ask me.
I also have an LG laptop, dual-core, 4GB RAM, Windows7/CentOS6, for college mainly.

Shaikoten said:

Yep, I still have the most boss keyboard on Doomworld. Unless you guys break out with some realforce or happy hacking action, looks like I'm the undisputed king of typing.

I have this:

It's a Kinesis Classic. Bought a decade ago, for $200 (worth every penny!) It's usually hooked up to my laptop, unless I'm out and about.

The only other keyboard I enjoyed using was the old IBM Model M. But the Kinesis is better (more ergonomic).

ASUS P5Q Pro motherboard
3.0GHz Core 2 Duo E8400
4GB DDR2-1066
Radeon HD 4850 512MB
Hitachi Deathstar 1TB HDD
OCZ Vertex 30GB SSD
LG DVD±RW
WinXP x64
600W PSU
Antec 300 case
Plus a couple of external DVD burners (one of which reads BD), a 1.5TB external HDD, a flash card reader and a bunch of other operating systems living in VirtualBox.

It does pretty much everything I want except video encoding (I've been converting VHS home movies to DVD lately) which would benefit from more CPU cores (and a lesser degree from more memory). So all of this is subject to change depending on what NCIX puts on sale tonight...

hex11 said:

It's a Kinesis Classic. Bought a decade ago, for $200 (worth every penny!) It's usually hooked up to my laptop, unless I'm out and about.

The only other keyboard I enjoyed using was the old IBM Model M. But the Kinesis is better (more ergonomic).

The Kinesis is a cool-as-hell board if you like ergos, pretty much the best ergo I've seen out there. But not my style, I like traditional. Also, with a tad of research I found that my board uses the same switches as the standard ergo. Kinda cool!

ASUS M4A87TD-Evo Motherboard
AMD Phenom x2 550 Black Edition - 3.2ghz
Asus OnBoard Sound
AMD Radeon HD 6770 1GB
4GB DDR3-1066mhz RAM
Barricuda 1TB HDD
500W PSU

Trying to start building a rig of my own. Trying to budget myself at around $800-$900 bucks. Can any build eat Crysis at 60 FPS for that price?

Shaikoten said:

I have a Das Keyboard. FAPPO!

Well for graphics you will want an HD7970, $600 off Amazon. 6990 is still faster but is not worth the extra cost (and heat!) IMHO.

AND is probably more bang for buck but i5-2400 is around 200 and a mobo will set you back around another 100. 60 for a Cooler Master PSU and 40 for 4GB RAM. HDDs are expensive right now so that will be an extra cost.

$1000 for a pretty good rig. Not too much over budget and will run Crysis at enthusiast settings without dropping below ~50FPS. If you want to nickel and dime, just wait for the 7950 to come out. That will save you around a note, and you can get another one when you save up some more cash.

SlayeR said:

Plan on upgrading the video card later this year when the new nvidia series cards are out

Big N is keeping me waiting too.

Planky said:

Yea bwoy, I've got one of those. Hardware within:

• Intel Core i5-2500K (Sandy Bridge, Quad 3.30 GHz)
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1GB
  • 4GB(2x2GB) DDR3-1333 RipJaws G.Skill RAM (Obnoxious product names, I bet razer is jealous)
  • Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3R-B3 Mobo
  • 500GB + 1TB WD Drives
  • 620w SeaSonic PSU
  • No internal optical drive because I'm a future spaceman.
The above system is almost exclusively for games while my main workhorse is a Core2Duo 2GHz Mac Mini with a 350GB 7200rpm HD and 2GB of RAM running OS X 10.6.

Shared between them are a Microsoft Sidewinder x4 keyboard and a Cyborg V3 mouse. Also a couple of Dell monitors for looking at.

Bucket said:

I have a Das Keyboard. FAPPO!

Das is cool, but it's a huge fingerprint magnet with the glossy surfaces and I don't care much for the font on the keys. But for sure, they're a great board, just kinda high maintenance.

Also, got my upgrades today. They are amazing. Love having tons of extra ram, and all the games run super smooth.

I'm not sure which you're referring to, but I have the original one with blank keys and the classic grained (matte?) finish.

Yeah, I was talking about these, must be the newer sort! They're total fingerprint magnets. I'd prefer the oldschool kind for sure.

Mr. Freeze said:

Trying to start building a rig of my own. Trying to budget myself at around $800-$900 bucks. Can any build eat Crysis at 60 FPS for that price?

My rig ran it quite well (and it wasn't as old fashioned in 2007). Well enough for me to play through it and discover that it was a thoroughly mediocre shooter.

I guess if you played Crysis as a "shooter" you wouldn't have had much fun. Try it at 60FPS with max settings. And just like, look at the graphix, rofl

CPU: i7 920 @ 3.8 GHz
MOBO: ASUS P6T Deluxe v2
GPU: 2x Radeon 4890's in Crossfire
RAM: 12 GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator @ 1600 MHz

SSD 1 - OS: Crucial C300 128 GB
SSD 2 - Programs: Crucial C300 128 GB
Hard Drive 1+2 - Games: 2x 300 GB VRaptor in RAID0
Hard Drive 3 - Media: 640 GB WD Caviar Black
Hard Drive 4 - Archived Data: 640 GB WD Caviar Black

PSU: Antec Quattro 1000 W
CPU Heatsink: Corsair H70
Case: Cooler Master HAF-X

Note the motherboard size is ATX. The case is very large.

Airflow scheme.

It's been pver a year since I've cleaned the interior. Still very clean... because of dust filters in pics below.

Custom Dust Filters

... I'm looking forward to upgrading the graphic cards to a pair of 7970's... when they are much cheaper.

Mr. T said:

AMD is probably more bang for buck

If that's all you can afford, yes. But technically speaking, Intel destroys AMD in every benchmark you could think of.

I'm not saying that AMD's CPUs are bad, it's more of a brand preference. (I myself had an old AMD Athlon XP+ 2500 that overclocked like a dream. I wonder if my older brother still has it, shelved away?)

CPU: Core i7 860 @ 2.8 GHZ
MOBO: I don't know, the computer is a Gateway FX something, so it doesn't tell me.
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 460
Memory: 8 GB DDR3-1333/PC3-10600

HDD: 1 TB Seagate Barracuda
External HDD: 500 GB Western Digital Passport(?)

PSU: Corsair GS700 (I would like to get another harddrive or two in the near future, the old power supply was not enough).

CASE: Antec 300
RAM: PNY 8GB DDR3-1333
CPU: i5-2500k that I haven't bothered to overclock yet.
MOBO: ASRock Extreme 3 Gen 3; didn't come with any sound, but rendered moot by...
SOUND CARD: Asus Xonar DS
GPU: GTX 560Ti OC'd to about 950mhz
HDD: some Hitachi 500GB one
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 650W
DVD drive is some generic Pioneer thing I picked up at goodwill.

Bought it around Christmastime, and a hell of an upgrade to my previous E2200/8500GT system. I'm pretty satisfied with it, though I could have picked a better case.

I'm actually more interested in how freaking loud Huy's computer is. I'm actually pleasantly surprised, I was told this 6950 was going to have a really loud fan but even under load, I haven't heard anything more than my old GPU. It pretty much eats up every game I toss at it, so, good times. I couldn't go Crossfire if I wanted though, micro-atx board.

HDD: 500GB
RAM: 8GB DDR3
Case: CM690
PSU: Seasonic S12 620 Bronze 620W
GPU: 6950 (1gb)
CPU: Phenom II X4 955 BE
MOBO: MSI 870A-G54

Here's my first attempt. I'm not worried about HDD size (I don't really download too much), so that's been downgraded from the "recommended" size (1TB). Thoughts?