Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
killer2

What's your first hardcore moment of Doom?

Your first moment when you felt your skill got to an epic level, the moment that separates you from all the "good" players and places you above them, somewhere at "very good" or "elite".

I've just had my first hardcore moment yesterday, when I beat map31 of Kama Sutra from pistol start on UV, without a single save. Unfortunantely I don't have a demo. Anyways, this was my first hardcore moment of Doom. What were your hardcore moments?

Shooting stuff for the very first time in Doom. It was hard not to feel pretty boss in those simpler times.

I haven't had too many "hardcore moments" since then.

Agreed. Beating that first imp standing on the platform above the first nukage area in E1M1 was quite a buzz in Dec '93. :D

When I learned about infighting and managed to goad a Baron of Hell to clear most of E3M3: Pandemonium for me, until it was finally killed by an imp ;-)

I had a number of memorable "step-up" moments in my Dooming life. Here are a few of them in a progressive order:

Finishing Plutonia 32 on UV from scratch (2003);
Finishing HR MAP13 on UV from scratch (2004);
Finishing HR MAP24 on UV from scratch (2004);
Finishing HR2 MAP32 on UV from scratch (2004);
Beating a stx-Vile record for the first time, on MM MAP23 Nightmare Speed (2005);
Finishing HR MAP13 on Nightmare from scratch in 2:23 (2007);
Pushing the MM MAP28 UV-Fast record down to 13:39 (2010);
Pushing the 2002ADO E3M4 UV Max record down to 3:55 (October 2011);
And finally, pushing the MM2 MAP28 UV Max record down to 9:57 (November 2011);

But I'm sure that I'll have some even greater "hardcore moments" in the near and far future.

Your first moment when you felt your skill got to an epic level, the moment that separates you from all the "good" players and places you above them, somewhere at "very good" or "elite".

Can't say I've ever felt that way.

Not getting hung up on the semantics, I did feel pretty good in late 2009 when I "rediscovered" Doom, using less saves and getting more into the game, seeing my skill increase a fair bit as a result after pretty much no changes from 1997 to 2009. Suddenly a whole world of pwads I could only tackle on ITYTD before opened up.

Probably when I took a little time and mastered BFG bumps to take down Cyberdemons in two shots. Seeing them get bounced back by the full blast is so edifying.

kmxexii said:

Probably when I took a little time and mastered BFG bumps to take down Cyberdemons in two shots. Seeing them get bounced back by the full blast is so edifying.

Yeah, I love to do that too. It's really effective once you master the right timing.

Enjay said:

Agreed. Beating that first imp standing on the platform above the first nukage area in E1M1 was quite a buzz in Dec '93. :D

I knew I was a real badass when I managed to make it across the zigzag platform without falling in the nukage!

Then next map I got lost in the scary computer maze. ;)

Playing Doom on Nightmare Mode.

Even though I never got to finish E1M1 that way (heh, I guess I need more practice), I still find Nightmare Mode to be very manly compared to Ultra-Violence. :P

Probably playing Doom 64 for the first time. It was not only the new graphics, sounds and music, as well as heightened sense of fear, but it was a more challenging game. I hadn't played any user-made maps by that point, so I wasn't used to the level of carnage in Doom 64, particularly in the later levels.

Finishing plutonia map 12, I remember myself when I was 9 the hell knight, cacodemons and chaingunners after the first door always killed me and I don't know why I was so motivated to play on UV even when I barely finished doom 2 on hurt me plenty.

Everything I do in Doom is a fucking hardcore moment motherfucker!

... Er, I mean, uh - probably when I finished PL32 pistol-start/no-save style for the first time. That felt pretty good.

Offline, probably beating the Barons for the first time.

Online, I had a series of good winning streaks in 2005.

When I beat the shareware, of course. This false sense of accomplishment could be attributed to most people in the office being exceptionally worthless at video games even for the 1993 standard. Guess I had some Wolfenstein knowledge working to my advantage.

Mine was when i just started doing VERY well with the berserk pack avoiding everything and just punching demons. I had so much excitement and fun over this too.

kmxexii said:

Couldn't agree more

Beating one of those stupidly long vile flesh maps, urgh it's not good on the nerves when you are 18 minutes into a demo and you just want to survive to the end. Probably why I like recording short maps :P
Yeah I'm so not hardcore :/

My first moment was beating the Bruiser Brothers at Phobos Anomaly. I used to save up all of my rockets once I reached the Computer Station.

Getting past the Spider Mastermind and Cyberdemon duo in Gotcha! It was pretty hard cause I didn't find out about strategic infighting, only by accident.

Beating Doom 64 for the first time. I always got stuck on Alpha Quadrant, due to not knowing I could escape that dark pit once the bridge fell out and quickly became a snack for some pinkies. Hectic was another level that gave me hell, non-surprisingly.

Beating Plutonia was one of the biggest, those first few levels were quick to discourage me but it got easier I was went on, until MAP30.

This is the only "hardcore" Doom moment I can think of. Usually I'm just a lazy ass who just plows through on skill 1 or god mode.

Oh, there was that early alpha/demo of Shai'tan's Luck where I did a really fast UV demo of the first level.

I guess 2 major moments for me ;)

1. When I found ZDaemon for the first time in 2009, I was like OMGOMGOMGOMG people still play this! (This was when we trashed our old Win95 back in 2000 and when we finally purchased a desktop in 2009). Later, i found Skulltag and stuck to that since I thought it looked prettier at the time (no offense, anyone).

2. Playing without dying. I used to be scared of the bloody screen in DOOM when you died. Until I got raped by the good players, I was like "Fuck yes", no cheats for me anymore.

(Until I met Sunder)

Never felt "above good", or "elite" or whatever, but I was pretty "proud" when I got the same time as Okuplok on SoD map31 (08:06) after manymany tries (copied his route/run 100% hahah).
I VERY seldom try to speedrun Doom though.

I also felt pretty bad ass back in the days when I found the secret exit in E1M3, leading to E1M9. None of my friends had ever seen that level before, and they were like "wooooow!".

Nice run DuckRecon...I should try that sometimes. Could someone tell me how to record a demo please...? And what are the compatibility options for sunder and sod, and if I can use freelook? Thanks in advance.

The first time I ever killed a baron with a shotgun, took place on E2M4. I was so impressed with myself that I insisted on showing my father, who was also somewhat impressed.

My first hardcore moment was when I defeated the Cyberdemon, when I played Hell Revealed, when I showed enough intellect to defeat monsters more powerful than me.

When loading Doom for the first time, I saw "Doom Operating System v1.1" printed on the screen, and thought "WHOAH! This game is so boss it has its own OS which kicks weak MS-DOS in the ass!". And that was before I even realized that it was actually a 3D, fully textured, real-time game instead of a rail shooter of some sort, like I had anticipated :-p