Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This question pops up every few months, generally from new people. Take from that what you will.

yukib1t said:

"Doom will never die. Only the players."

I could not have said this better myself.

j4rio said:

I'm sure this is only superstition. Not sure though. :\

Relic said:

Best Doom quote I think I've ever herd!

I can't take credit for it. The first time I read it was way back in high school while I was checking out the old Doom Legacy website. This was before they had 3d floors and maybe before FraggleScript, even.

It won't die any time soon. It does depend on the /idgames archive though, so if that gets legally shutdown, things will get harder for us.

I could see Doom being used as some kind of easy to use 3D engine for completely new games in the future, as it can still be easily updated to look nice even today (GzDoom). Modding the original game however could get dull and boring sometime. But hell, some people surely said that in the mid 90s too. But I bet there will always be some fans playing it maybe even in some decades. The gameplay kind of gets never old.

Until the end of mankind honestly.

If DOOM was made illegal... the community would live on.

If DOOM 4,5,6,7,8,10 sucked... the community would live on.

When aliens or hellspawn take over Earth and dwindle the populous... the community would live on

Fact: even in the post-apocalyptic world of Rage there are people loving Doom.

yukib1t said:

"Doom will never die. Only the players."

Very likely, as long as backward capability (or at least source porting) continues to be possible.

geo said:

If DOOM 4,5,6,7,8,10 sucked... the community would live on.

And this would be because Doom 9 was so awesome it bought a lot of new blood to the historically acclaimed original-engined games.

Phobus said:

And this would be because Doom 9 was so awesome it bought a lot of new blood to the historically acclaimed original-engined games.

Heh, IF (and I stress IF) the community lives on to that point, its sense of elitism (which is already bad as it is) will have been cranked to eleven as it will be filled by even more bitter, mumbling, grumpy old men that will totally haze and pwn any "noobs" who dare enter their Doom Sanctuary. Actually, it won't even be possible to join Doomworld without recommendation from a long-standing member and an invitation from the Council of the Elders of Doom ;-)

eargosedown said:

Very likely, as long as backward capability (or at least source porting) continues to be possible.

Honestly, I can see the game still being somewhat well known and played even into the next century, kinda like how people still watch old classic movies, like Wizard of Oz. Of course, it will probably be a little less popular due to it's age, but still rather popular.

I'm pretty sure it will last as long as doom can be played on any available hardware. I look forward to blasting demons in the future using a complete neural interface.

Until SOPA II happens and we're all arrested for talking about copyrighted material.

it will never end.
after UAC perfects the portal technology that results in doom actually ocurring, people from the future will come back through time to escape the harsh reality and experience it as just a game.
all mobius-strip style.