Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
1337CyberdemonxX

Is this the best mapper ever?

I've known this dude for a fairly long time. But he has outdone himself. Would everyone please click this to view one of his work. It is mindblowing. Look at the architectural skills this guy has! Unfortunately for him, he doesn't want to upload his work to ID Games because
"I know how crazy it is, lol ive made levels that even when I know exactly how to get through em still take like 45 hours to get through em. But I don't cuz I noticed all the maps made for the games they have produced are small & everything opposing my style. Thed prob go "you make these crackhead levels with thousands & thousands of monsters in them that no ones going to make it through & few people have time for = make some down to earth shit or YOUR FIRED!" "
So what do you think, would he guys like if he uploaded it?
P.S You should watch his other videos too.
P.P.S If you're bored watch this.

No idea why is this in Doom Editing, but this map is bloody insane. I would be afraid to play through it, I have only one life...

The real question is, does it even run. And why would he not upload it? Does he care about what some people might say? That would be silly. I am sure there will be people who will appreciate his effort.

Wads and Mods probably. Although obviously huge, much of the texturing looks butt-ugly. I suppose anyone can throw thousands sectors into a doom editor, but is it any fun? I guess only the person who made it cares. Bigger isn't always better.

Much of the video is barely watchable, with most of the screen just showing black void as he flies over top of things you can hardly see. And I've got to agree with Use3D: what can be seen from it just looks ugly.

1337CyberdemonxX said:

Unfortunately for him, he doesn't want to upload his work to ID Games because...

(stuff)

That doesn't make sense. Just upload it anyway and say "screw the haters" if one really HAS to. :P

1337CyberdemonxX said:

Unfortunately for him, he doesn't want to upload his work to ID Games because
"I know how crazy it is, lol ive made levels that even when I know exactly how to get through em still take like 45 hours to get through em. But I don't cuz I noticed all the maps made for the games they have produced are small & everything opposing my style. Thed prob go "you make these crackhead levels with thousands & thousands of monsters in them that no ones going to make it through & few people have time for = make some down to earth shit or YOUR FIRED!" "

Alternatively, we'd just comment on how thematically inconsistent and ugly it is.

The view of the overhead map in the editor told quite a lot about the map. It's very mazey. And not necessarily in a good way. I think the overall aestetics of the map is best viewed from the overhead map. Because that is where I would say it is at it's best. The layouts doesn't come out to me as being very rewarding game play wise.

But that's just from watching abit of the video. I would really have to see the map in game, and preferably play it to see what it is like.

His fears that people would diss his work because it's somehow too grand is rather strange though. Because people make large sprawling maps all the time. People make all sorts of maps, and they are all judged by their strengths and weaknesses. And different players like different maps. So with that in mind it really sounds more like an excuse he's coming up with to not expose his work to the public for fears of it being criticized for other things than what he is imagining. So instead he's pretending to be this crazy outsider person, who does stuff that "other people don't understand". This is probably comforting to him and makes him feel special.

But I don't really know that of course, it's just me playing keyboard psychiatrist. I'm curious to take a real look at the map though, because there's not many real psychadelic level designers around. Most people, myself included just end up paraphrasing the checkerboard floors of American McGee's Alice.

To me, it only appears intricate because he stuffed rooms into almost every empty space on the map he could find. The act of filling the grid appeared to take precedence over every other aspect in its design.

At the end of the day it seems like this guy is a newbie, he even said that this was his first real map somewhere in the video, he doesn't want to upload it because he is afraid of criticism and has probably witnessed idgames reviews firsthand. I don't think it's a bad first attempt, I hope he comes across a mapset such as Alien Vendetta and learns the finer qualities of compact sized maps that are digestible in a single sitting, a non linear medium sized map with a compact layout and lots of different factors that can impact on gameplay has more play value than a huge collection of large featureless rooms.

He's complaining about having only 255 tags and 255 polyobjects to play with -- he should consider UDMF then.

Also using the GZDoom visual mode plugin from DB2 he'd get to see the ramps and stuff in the editor.

And he can put multiple polyobjects in one subsector if he uses a recent SVN build of ZDoom.

Well I for one would play it, just out of curiosity.

It certainly is unique, if nothing else.

I think it looks cool. If he has experience with AutoCad and architecture, then it somewhat shows, because as pointed out, pretty much every inch of space on the map is filled, and that's naturally what a real constructor would do.

Looks interesting! I'd love to try it out. Doesn't exactly look pretty, but the design looks interesting and thought-out.

The overhead map looks beautiful as an art form. In some ways it's similar to Tom Hall's maps because it's stuffed into a rectangle.

Actually, even the map itself should be interesting. It reminds me of those classic, 90s Doom 2 wads which cared less about detail and aesthetics but were quite fun to play through.

I would love this map. I like the over-the-top insane mapping style this guy has. Please, please, please, get him to upload this at least to wads and mods so we can playtest it for him. It would be interesting to see how it actually plays.

kmxexii said:

To me, it only appears intricate because he stuffed rooms into almost every empty space on the map he could find. The act of filling the grid appeared to take precedence over every other aspect in its design.

It reminded me of e2m2 of doom in this respect :P

Honestly, he really should show this to us in a way we can actually help him with his map design. He owes it to himself as the artist to at least find out if his map is awesome or not. One thing we do well here is give honest opinions and actually help people with their mapping skills here. Who knows, he may have started the "Doom CAD art wad" style map.

If he's mapping from an artist's stand-point, than the map itself would be more so looked at as a piece of art. At this stage of the game I would like to see as many different and interesting ideas applied to the old craft of Doom mapping. I would very much like to see his creation see the light of day.

Yes, this should certainly be uploaded. Anyone who can't take a few anonymous trolls on the internet should man the fuck up.

I clicked on this thread thinking it might be about me or esselfortium, but I'm relieved to find out it's not me, since the fame and pressure of being the greatest of all time is unbearable.

I'll bet the actual greatest Doom mapper of all time is locked in a bunker somewhere in Antarctica being fed a steady diet of canned meat, cheese and beer by scientists who wish to see just how insanely packed a doom editor can be packed with content, and given nothing to do but craft a map with 9 billion linedefs, and 2 million monsters. Of course we'll never see the map because he's never let out except to yell at the snow and ice.....and yetis.

General Rainbow Bacon said:

I'll bet the actual greatest Doom mapper of all time is locked in a bunker somewhere in Antarctica being fed a steady diet of canned meat, cheese and beer by scientists who wish to see just how insanely packed a doom editor can be packed with content, and given nothing to do but craft a map with 9 billion linedefs, and 2 million monsters. Of course we'll never see the map because he's never let out except to yell at the snow and ice.....and yetis.

Well until he/she show his/her self than my money is tied up between Essel, Mechadon and Lutz.

General Rainbow Bacon said:

that sounds kinda like what the russians do with eternal.