Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheEndOfUs

"Doom 4 on PS3 could have more data than PC and 360 versions" -John Carmack

(Not really anything newsworthy, but its better than nothing)

John Carmack, in an interview with Merlininkazani, talked a little about Doom 4 and what we can expect from its different versions.

“The videos are just using the normal game data,” he said, when asked if the new videos of Rage were made using the Super Texture Pack he recently talked about and if the same will be used for Doom 4,” he said.

“There is a decent chance we will fill the PS3 Blu-Ray with more data than we ship on DVDs for Doom 4, but we will have to see how much trouble it is maintaining two complete builds of the data.”

http://www.merlininkazani.com/John_Carmack__Roportaj-oyun_roportaj-43890p4.html

http://gamingbolt.com/doom-4-on-ps3-could-have-more-data-than-pc-and-360-versions

Did he even consider putting the pc version on blu-ray and why is he praising the ps3 above the one platform he started with in his career which is obviously much easier to develop for than the ps3, I honestly don't get it.

Yeah, its weird. Maybe the PC-version only uses the disc for activation, so you`re stuck having to download the actual content from Steam. Wasnt Rage like that?

Avoozl said:

Why the hell can't they make the pc version on blue-ray?

The only remotely sensible reason I can think of is that it might alienate anyone who lacks a BR drive. Why can't they just release it that way anyway, where it's just tough luck for anyone who insists on buying a physical copy but lacks the hardware to install the game? Who knows.

sgt dopey said:

Id could release two versions for pc one on DVDS and one on bluray?

That wouldn't be very interesting for them. As far as publishing costs go, it'd be like publishing two games at once. There's also not much reliable data for who is going to buy the BR version and who is going to buy the DVD version.

It'd be simpler to sell two discs at once: the game on a DVD, and an optional hires pack on bluray. There'd be more cost in that there are two discs per box, but at least you don't have to deal with the logistics of estimating proportions of both, and you can get some savings from going to full scale production on both, rather than half-scale.

Xbox 720 has been announced on various sites.I wonder how this will influence the development of Doom 4.

DooM_RO said:

Xbox 720 has been announced on various sites.I wonder how this will influence the development of Doom 4.

I thought the same. I just hope DOOM 4 will be just to amazing...
Maybe it will kill the other franchises...if it has the correct merchandising and marketing deals.

Clonehunter said:

Is that seriously what they're calling it?

That has been unconfirmed, so take it with a wee amount of salt.

id are never going to release a game on PC on Bluray as long as it is not the absolutely most dominant format out there. You guys forget that in 2003, when DVD was in full swing and most large game releases were DVD already, Doom 3 shipped on 3 CDs.

AirRaid said:

id are never going to release a game on PC on Bluray as long as it is not the absolutely most dominant format out there. You guys forget that in 2003, when DVD was in full swing and most large game releases were DVD already, Doom 3 shipped on 3 CDs.

2004? Wait, that makes it even worse.

To be fair, I only remember it was 2004 because it was my first year in the military, and I was scrambling to get a new computer built before the game released. Did end up with a pretty beast system though, and was able to run it on I think high res with everything on. I seem to remember that I ran it on Ultra but I don't think that's right. I also got surround sound, turned out the lights, aluminum foiled my windows and even put a piece of tape over the peephole in my dorm room. Day or night, I was playing it in pitch black with the sound cranked.

Maybe that's what the people who didn't like the game did wrong.