Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The_MártonJános

Map with the largest height variation range

Tell me - as far as you're concerned - which map does feature the hugest variation of height in all senses! I mean, not only a 128 units high sector (Floor: 0, Ceiling: 128) overlooking an abyss (Floor: -4096, Ceiling: 56+), but a map which features many heights in the range of - let's see - +/-1024 in both floors and ceilings.

Do you know, for example, of a map that leads you into a huge tower?

The first two mappers that popped into my head were darkwave0000 and Jim Flynn. (SOD's even-number maps + map31 and Enigma, specifically)

masterjumps map09, sector 17 has floor at 0 and ceiling at 32767. when you touch the ceiling, the wrap-around effect kicks in and you jet out from the floor again. the map is intended for "rocketjumping" with a dehacked plasmagun which really makes it possible to traverse the whole vertical distance.

Yeah, check out rocket/plasma jumping wads. Big height variations where all the height can be used by the player. I don't think vanilla/boom wads can have such big height differences because it would crash or be buggy.

You could actually have a sector bigger than 32767 in zdaemon, but I couldn't escape that sector (the lines acted like they were impassible).

Andy's Wad has some absurd height differences - ones where you bounce in mid-air part way down, and caco fireballs are coming at you from such an angle that they look like rain.

Ah, it seems that you misunderstood my point. It doesn't have to be "the tallest sector ever made", but a map that has some rooms with the floor of 32512 and the ceiling of 32640 but also does have some with 0, 128 as well, and various others between these values. For example, the most primitive example of this is when you ascend to a staircase that seems to be infinitely tall and is congested with monsters, getting harder by every corner. So, the natural conception is a spiral staircase with height variation as well as only the highest step has its ceiling set to the maximum (may it be 62767). And then make staircases and pathways go up, down and around each step, it's the moderate conception of this. That's what I'm interested in.

briggs.wad

Kidding aside, a few Sunder maps (MAP05 and MAP10 especially) come to mind as having some of the largest "practical" height differences I've seen (meaning it's more than just a really tall sector... though admittedly I suppose I should strike MAP05 from the list if that's the case ;).

Also Equinox, because yes.

But yeah, huge height variation really does do a lot for a map, I think. Makes it feel even grander than it may already be. Gonna have to remind myself to exploit this fact for a certain something I'm making. ;P

There's always "Sky City" (Map20) in 1337.wad :P

As for maps that are any good though, I'll third the recommendations for Equinox.