Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lazygecko

Anyone remember Dark Reign?

Pretty good game if I can recall correctly. I played it with my dad quite a bit many years back. That, Command & Conquer, and a game called NetStorm were the cause of many family-related brawls in our household. :D Can't imagine playing it on a console, though.

kristus said:

RTS on console? O_o

Yeah, it's the one and only kind of game where I think you absolutely must be using mouse and keyboard to be able to play it properly.

There were no mice or keyboards designed for the Xbox afaik.

RTS can work on console. The N64 port of Starcraft played pretty well if I remember correctly. Also, I used to play C&C there all the time. And Army Men RTS on PS2 was pretty fun, I thought.

kristus said:

RTS on console? O_o

Sure. Warcraft 2 on PSX and Dune II on Genesis spring to mind, both fully controllable with the gamepad. There was also Warhammer: Shadow Of The Horned Rat on PSX, but calling that a pure RTS would be a stretch. Maybe a Real Time Tactics?

C&C: Red Alert also saw a Playstation release.

I'll vouch for WC2's PSX port. Though I think it was probably nerfed a bit, because I was actually decent at it and I suck at RTSs.

Nomad said:

I'll vouch for WC2's PSX port. Though I think it was probably nerfed a bit, because I was actually decent at it and I suck at RTSs.

It actually had a small advantage compared to the PC version: almost full-screen visuals (despite the having the same/slightly lower resolution) and the ability to select more than 9 troops at once (that is, until group shortcuts were added to the PC version).

Marcaek said:

Dark Reign was excellent.

I just tried both games. Horrible user interface and unintuitive controls in the first one, quit after 4 missions. Slow, boring gameplay and bland, empty maps in the second one, quit after 2 missions.

Can't imagine why anyone would pick the first one over C&C, KKND, SC or TA. The second one is just crap.

There were so many of these games coming out around 96-98. I remember playing another one called Dark Colony. There's also one whom's name eludes me that I've been trying to track down for years. It was much more of a blatant C&C ripoff than the others. The only details I can remember are an FMV intro with TV/news exposition just like C&C, a very low pitched narrator/EVA voice, and the harvesters needed to seed the ground with the resources before you could harvest them.

I recall owning Dark Reign at somepoint in my illustrious past, but I dont think I played it much

Im very much a C&C Red Alert 1 fan, still play every now and then. I do recall making a map called Naval Wars/Island Hopper which was a bout 12 small islands. You had to transport harvesters to islands with ore. Made it hell when you were trying to take out your opponent and remember to load/unload your harvesters.

Good ole RA1, back before tank rushing was a dirty word. LoL!

I remember Dark Reign being a big deal because it was 3d. Never played it myself but had a few friends who absolutely loved it.

RTSes are quite playable on console, if not to a PC level of twitch-micromanagement. Dune 2 on Genesis kicked ass.

Mr. T said:

I remember Dark Reign being a big deal because it was 3d. Never played it myself but had a few friends who absolutely loved it.

I think that was Dark Reign 2?

I've worked with a number of guys that worked on Dark Reign over the years. My old college teacher worked on KKnD. Good times.

It was released around the same time as Total Annihilation from memory. Take a guess as to which one is more fondly remembered.