Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Naked Snake

Zdaemon sucks

Zdaemon fucks my computer up, so therefore I hate it and it sucks and should be destroyed. Thank you.

I agree with the last two messages - shut up bigbadgansta! ZDaemon is the most amazing thing on the net!

bullshit. ZDaemon is a buggy pile of trash that doesn't have proper spectator code.

Zdaemon sucks, but there's nothing better (as long as people don't start playing on zone more).

I went to ZoneLan last night (I noticed u'd just been there, Erik) and was told how to play Doom there, but I don't think that'd be very good cos u hav 2 use the original doom game, so u dont get freelook or anything, plus no1 can join and leave in the middle of a game. But, does any1 wanna play GTA or GTA London there sumtime? I havnt tried it, but from wot I was told about how ZoneLan works, i cant c why gta wouldnt work.

MaTT [TiK] said:
I went to ZoneLan last night (I noticed u'd just been there, Erik) and was told how to play Doom there, but I don't think that'd be very good cos u hav 2 use the original doom game, so u dont get freelook or anything, plus no1 can join and leave in the middle of a game. But, does any1 wanna play GTA or GTA London there sumtime? I havnt tried it, but from wot I was told about how ZoneLan works, i cant c why gta wouldnt work.

ehh, the point is that you can play the original doom there... othervise you could just play lame-ass zdaemon. freelook? nwahahaa

Erik said:

freelook? nwahahaa

damn straight. i'm against quake additions when it comes to DM.

Erik said:

ehh, the point is that you can play the original doom there... othervise you could just play lame-ass zdaemon. freelook? nwahahaa

Yeah, i used 2 prefer the original doom (cos thats the first thing i played multiplayer games on, with a null-modem cable), and i hated the Quake-copy edition things (I hate Quake), but now i'm used 2 jumping and looking up and down, i cant get used 2 the original again - its a shame really.

ZDaemon I didn't like because of the way it handles lag. You can peruse the level at a normal speed, but things and enemies will randomly appear all over, sometimes even kill you before you can see they've come across the room and are tearing you to pieces.

I like the infinite ammo option though =)

Hey BBG how about some details about what happens when you try to run it. Error messages? Lockup? BSOD? Random reboot? What? Can you run ZDoom? (which is what ZDaemon is based off of)

He means it "fucks his computer up" by the trail of events...BBG joins game...BBG gets his ass kicked...BBG hits computer in frustration...computer reboots...BBG concludes "ZDaemon fucks my computer up" :)
[edit]Sorry...message "Fodders_DS joined game" is usually associated with this time line too [/edit] :)

Dude, like when I exit, it fucking gives me an error, the error WILL NOT CLOSE, then I ignore the error and go for another game, except when I exit the second time, what does it do? FREEZES MY COMPUTER!

So, you are saying that you can play zdaemon, but when you exit there are problems with zdaemon terminating cleanly? That's a new one. Anyhow, computer misbehavior with zdaemon and other game programs is very often sound card related or video card related. Maybe updated drivers are needed, or maybe a sound or video setting in the zdoom.cfg file needs changing. Any clue, NF?

I had this error and it was only fixed when windows was reinstalled, which gave me no idea of what it was, tempted to think of directX version

You mean like this?

Zdaemon
This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.
If the problem persists, contact the program vendor.

ZDAEMON caused an invalid page fault in
module KERNEL32.DLL at 0167:bff766bc.
Registers:
EAX=0066003c CS=0167 EIP=bff766bc EFLGS=00010202
EBX=00000000 SS=016f ESP=00660000 EBP=00660010
ECX=00000000 DS=016f ESI=00660108 FS=5107
EDX=bff76855 ES=016f EDI=81675780 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
e8 13 ad ff ff 8b 55 08 8f 82 b0 00 00 00 8b 4d
Stack dump:
002a0014 00000000 0066003c 0066003c 00660024 bff766fd 0066003c 006601b4 00000000 006601b4 bff883ed 0066003c bff79060 00000000 0075ffec ffffffff

Yes, indeed it sucks big time. It always happens to me, damn it. You better fix this problem in 1.0, nightfang!

The best lag handling I've seen in a client-server DooM port is still that of csDooM v0.62, whose weapon lag appeared to be quite learnable and somehow natural. v0.7 was unfortunately a step backwards, and ZDaemon yet another leap backwards.

Note that we are talking about playing with pings 200+ here. For LPBs, this hasn't been an issue at any point in the DooM c-s port evolution. If ZDaemon is supposed to have better networking and prediction code than its predecessors, it's the HPBs that should be noticing it. I sure am NOT noticing anything like that.

All weapons are messed up, most notably the BFG. Fire, bump a wall to silence the weapon, THEN start thinking about aim (lots of time for that), and make sure you're looking in the correct direction the nanosecond the green ball leaves the weapon. This is how the BFG is supposed to work. In ZDaemon, however, using this procedure will have your green balls flying in what seems like almost random directions. That's a tad annoying. And, if learning the csDooM lag was straightforward and natural ... well, I sure as heck am not going to bother trying to learn something so perverted and screwed up as the above mentioned weapon behaviour of ZDaemon.

Also, I seem to get almost equal amounts of keys-stuck-effects and random crashes in ZDaemon as I used to get in csDooM. Sometime it freezes my computer and I have to hit the reset button. Sometimes it starts running in slo-mo and it'll feel like I'm walking instead of using run mode, etc...

I really can't think of many reasons for why ZDaemon would be better than csDooM. That weird attempt at a silent BFG feature? Nah, it doesn't make up for the messed up lag handling. What else? I dunno...

I want the csDooM master server back. That is, for occasions when I really want a game, but can't seem to find anyone willing to play real DooM (DooM should obviously be played at the MSN Gaming Zone).

N.C.

nc_ds said:

your green balls flying in what seems like almost random directions.

Oooer missus :)
You're right NC, where's ESOX btw?
csdoom can be found at
130.232.21.67:10677
130.236.229.68:10666
130.236.229.68:10667
194.177.125.68:10666
194.177.125.68:11666

I agree with pretty much everything NC stated. I've never dug through the code so I'm not an expert on the way these ports work. How ever i feel like ranting a bit :)

To me ZDaemon seems to have some way of lagging the weapon so when you hit fire, you get a delay, then gun looks like it fired and sound, now bullets appear... I guess thats done that way so it appears smoother... but all it does is fuck up my ssg.

In CSDooM .62, as soon as fire was pressed the gun acted like it went off with sound just as if you were in SP, but then the bullets appeared. To me, this way was much easier to time shots. The problem with .62 and .5 was they were buggy as hell. I rarely remember having a CSDooM game where i didnt have a client side crash. ZDaemon servers seem to constitute for most of the crashes now.

The only map on ZDaemon or CSDooM .7 I can somewhat enjoy to play with a 200+ is map1. I have to serverly alter my gameplay since now the ssg is only useful for shooting down hallways and running outside for the sg is only useful for lureing the opposing player as far away from the respawn spots as possible.. but I can usually make out pretty well on map1 with a mix of plasma, rocket, and bfg respawn frags. But understand, this isn't my prefered way of playing the map. I would love to be able to drop guys in the blue room with the ssg or actually use the sg other than a simple prop, but hell i got do what needs to be done to win. A map like dwango5 map1 where the ssg is a absolute must, im a sitting duck.

Now if you've read this far, You're prolly thinking that im just another HPW bitching about how unfair his ping is.. But I'm not. I love playing DooM DM, and make no excuses for when I get slaughtered, Hell i got slaughtered when i was on cable the only difference now is its just alittle more frequent :) . If a player respects me in a game then i have no problem congratulating him on his victory afterwards. After all, it is just a game that is damn fun when the players dont act like asses.

Oh, and I can't wait for the new zdaemon I'm sure that we will all have a blast on it once its done, but anyways thats the end my rant for the month of april. :) Keep playing and try having fun doing it.

I've noticed that I could actually outrun the BFG energy ball, but never assured that might be the lag the launcher causes. You know, I can't determine practically anything right at my ping. I was around for a few weeks when csdoom.62 was still existed then it had revolutionarized into csdoom.70, so I can hardly remember how the lag in csdoom.62 different from the lag you receive in other ports, but there is one thing I'm sure that csdoom.62's interface looks a lot beatiful than the plain csdoom.70, lol.

Fire.....strafe, strafe.....fire. Wait 5 seconds for frames of gun/firing/moving animations to iniatiate.