Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mexican Doomguy

Have you ever dreamed with DOOM?

I mean, the last week, at least, two of my dreams were DOOM-related.

In my first dream, I was on my city and all the buildings were DOOM-stylized. However, there wasn't anything else. All the rest was pretty normal, with the exception of the sky, who was also DOOM-stylized.

In my 2nd dream, I was in a kinda-mission (I supposed to be a Marine) and then we encounter a lot of barons of hell and cacodemons. However, we couldn't shoot them. And the weird thing is that I don't remeber why...were we out of ammo?

I don't know.

What you guys dream?

Do a search for "Doom dreams", this is one of those topics that pop up with a certain regularity (along with most/least favourite source port/map/monster/weapon/control method/style etc.) and there's a lot to read about it.

Maes said:

Do a search for "Doom dreams", this is one of those topics that pop up with a certain regularity (along with most/least favourite source port/map/monster/weapon/control method/style etc.)

I was going to do that, but the FAQ states that we can't bump threads with more than 3 months of inactivity, so...

Another question that pops up every now and then. Yes, many of my dreams are about Doom. Several maps I've made were inspired by dreams.

I dare you to beat this one though:

I was in the outskirts surrounding this factory, where the curving road leading up to it had a drainage ditch running alongside it. I could spot chaingunners in the distance near the factory, so I tried to keep down low. Well, all was good, except there was this rather old, and huge tree with large red horned fruit growing on it. I decided to take cover behind said tree, but as I approached it, one of the fruits fell off and started rolling towards me. Turns out it's a fucking cacodemon, and it's taken a liking to me. I did a "wtf", and soon more started falling off the tree, and would gather around me, a harmless bunch, but swarming above my head.

I didn't want to shoot the poor things, but I had to move on. As luck would have it, as I got closer, the chaingunners took notice of me, probably due to the massive cluster of cacofruits flying overhead. I got sniped, and EarthQuake was a zombie.

Yep. Quite often they're quite realistic dreams (because hey, it's realistic to dream anything about a virtual world!) and contain custom monsters, defined in most clever ways, usually for a limited port (Boom etc.). I'm often amazed by such feats, until I wake up totally and realize they're nothing special lol.

EarthQuake said:

Another question that pops up every now and then. Yes, many of my dreams are about Doom. Several maps I've made were inspired by dreams.

I dare you to beat this one though:

I was in the outskirts surrounding this factory, where the curving road leading up to it had a drainage ditch running alongside it. I could spot chaingunners in the distance near the factory, so I tried to keep down low. Well, all was good, except there was this rather old, and huge tree with large red horned fruit growing on it. I decided to take cover behind said tree, but as I approached it, one of the fruits fell off and started rolling towards me. Turns out it's a fucking cacodemon, and it's taken a liking to me. I did a "wtf", and soon more started falling off the tree, and would gather around me, a harmless bunch, but swarming above my head.

I didn't want to shoot the poor things, but I had to move on. As luck would have it, as I got closer, the chaingunners took notice of me, probably due to the massive cluster of cacofruits flying overhead. I got sniped, and EarthQuake was a zombie.

Well, I was a bit lucky because the monsters didn't kill me...
I fell sorry for "harmless" things. Were they cacodemon babies?

I'll shamelessly quote a post from this old thread of mine, so the young can learn and the old can remember:

I have dreamt of Doom many times, and what's common to most of these occurences is how Doom is "rendered" in my dream. It looks like a weird cross between reality and Doom: e.g. I always dreamt of Doom with me being actually inside it, not like I was controlling a game, and the looks of monsters and my surroundings were "real", not pixelated or cartoonish. However, the architecture was clearly very "Doomish" in appearance, despite the materials and shapes being realistic, except for water or nukage.

What disturbed me the most, in these dreams, is how the monsters themselves looked: in general they looked very close to the game, but again they didn't look pixelated or flat, something very hard to describe.

The most disturbing dream about Doom was however related to Archviles: in one infamous dream I had a year or so ago, an archvile was following me down the street but not for attacking me, but instead it appeared to mock me by doing a weird, bizarre and macabre dance behind me.

The other dream, more recent, had me kill several archviles with a BFG, only to see their dead bodies being somehow blown close to me: I knelt over to touch one of them: it looked like a mummy covered in dirty, yellowish pus-encrusted bandages, and to the touch their skulls and body felt just like a human body, but with a squishy feeling and crushed bones. It almost made me feel sorry for them.

And also this one:

Not really scary-scary, but last night I dreamt of a sort of Svankmayer-esque Doom level (filled with theatrical props, backdrops, separes, tents and assorted junk), in the usual dreamy "Doom but realistic" style, roamed by a hydrocephalic cyberdemon of sorts. Its body was "normal" in size, but the head was broader than its shoulders, like a giant pumpkin, and the horns had been swallowed in the abnormal growth. It basically looked like a cyberdemon with a grotesque jack-o-lantern where its head should be.

Its texture however was like papier-mâché made from sandpaper, making it look even more Svankmajer-esque. It has a very coarse, flat looking texture and I could actually see the "glitters" from the sandpaper. In any case, this "cyberdemon" was harmless: it could not even walk well, and often stumbled, lamed or got stuck in the architecture. No, I didn't try to "rip and tear" it, nor fist it ;-)

I don't think that much Doom dreaming is normal, but anyways. I dreamed of Doom the night after playing it for the first time. I remember none of it, but this happens to me with pretty much anything exciting, like a trip to a place I've never been before or Christmas as a kid; I sort of can't wait for the next day so part of that momentary obsession infiltrates my sleep.

Only two weeks after getting Doom Builder in my hands (7 July, 2009) I once dreamt with editing a map having sloped waterfalls and drains in a concrete-type map (FLAT5_4 and STONE, mostly), much resembling Plutonia and its visual tricks. I'm still waiting for the moment I would make a map like that, even if in August, I actually did an attempt to it, but not very successfully.

I had two doom related dreams, but in a pretty differrent way.
One evening, I was in some weird, half-dream state. Before I could think about anything, I had to give every thoughtdef "D1 start thinking" action. Strange.
Next time, at the morning, I was half-dreaming again. I heard awfully loud barking of my dog, so... I opened XWE in my mind and starded searching for barking texture(!) to replace it with something more quiet. And now I know how barking looks like!
Edit: why emoticons are censored?

Scypek2 said:

They're not. They just don't get converted into silly graphics.

Well, there is That One Emoticon which is actually censored....

Scypek2 said:

You mean this (without the space): X D

I once had an awesome dream about exploring some strange hell blasted fort in the middle of a wasteland, it seemed very doomy to me at the time.

Ok, I need to explain my dream a little bit.

As a little kid, I played a lot of Doom 64. I was exposed to the Doom 64 Cyberdemon before the PC Doom Cyberdemon. And the Cyberdemon from Doom 64 terrified me as a kid. For example, in Watch Your Step, I would not go face to face with the Cyberdemon. Instead, I would go to the opposite part of the map where you get the Blue Key and fight a lot of monsters. In between the two rooms is the exit room. You can get to the exit room from either side of the map, after killing the Cyberdemon, which opens up the bar doors. I would just poke at the Cyberdemon with the Chaingun/Shotgun through the bar doors.

What scared me the most about the Cyberdemon was his foot stomping sound, and how it got louder as the Cyberdemon got closer.

So, to my dream. There was a Cyberdemon roaming around in my house. After running around, I went into my parent's bedroom and hid under their covers. I heard the Cyberdemon footstomp getting louder. It then got super loud. It then fired a rocket at the bed I was hiding under. Kaboom.

Yes I do have.

One dream, I was in a hellish map which looks like a mix of SOD map28 and WOS map28. I have nothing but only a SSG, then suddenly, about 16 cyberdemons surrounded me, I can't escape, and then a cyber shoot a rocket and then............I woke up.

I remember dreaming about playing Rocket Arena against a Cyberdemon inside of a Costco. It was pretty exhilarating, running around at 60 mph, snatching loose Rockets off the ground instead of on the shelves. Taking potshots at the Cyberdemon from at the end of the aisle.

I actually had a weird crossover dream of doom and another childhood game of mine, Crash CTR, once. I was riding around on a cart, seeing doom weapons and powerups as usable items on the track, seeing all the doom textures and decorations making it seem more legit. It was indeed a strange dream. And I kinda wanna try making a mod based on it...

I had a dream recently about playing a new DM map by essel, with new music by me. I was pretty much making both up as I went along, but to be fair neither was actually very interesting.

Whatever Doom dreams I had, were usually somehow disturbing. There was the Baphomet in one of them which was in a situation that just freaked me out. The last one had imps, lots of them.

Actually, the thread's title asks about dreaming with Doom, which also means that you sleep with Doom ...

Spoiler

I was actually thinking of hugging a big plush Doom Marine while sleeping. What did you think I was talking about? ;-)

Grazza said:

They're not. They just don't get converted into silly graphics.

They do. For example the one with X and D forms itself into two *'s.

Scypek2 said:

Next time, at the morning, I was half-dreaming again. I heard awfully loud barking of my dog, so... I opened XWE in my mind and starded searching for barking texture(!) to replace it with something more quiet. And now I know how barking looks like!

That's pretty concrete!! :D

* Reading Maes' Spoiler *

Spoiler

Obviously you meant a Cyberdemon Ass en peluche, didn't you? :D

@Cell's innuendo

Spoiler

Hmm...maybe a whole one for hugging, and a particular one as a pillow. Would beat any dakimakura in existence ;-)

I had a dream where I was in trouble and tried to type IDDQD but there was no keyboard around which pretty much meant i was screwed.

I haven't had a Doom dream here lately but I have had several in the past. The one that stands out the most in my memory is that I was playing PSX Doom, The Factory. The music in that level freaked me out when I first heard, and it still sort of does. Awesome stuff. Anyway, since it was a dream, I thought I was running around in the game, killing stuff, etc etc but I was actually standing still in one place. Then the game froze and the TV screen went blank....but I could still hear that damn music playing all around me.
It doesn't sound scary to read about it, but at the time, it was rather freaky.