Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mexican Doomguy

Heavy Metal vs. Gothic Ambient

I was wondering, what do you guys prefer, the Heavy Metal midi's of the original DOOM or the gothic-kind atmosphere midi's of DOOM II?

In my case, i prefer by far the Heavy Metal tunes.

Everyone knows that the real DOOM Theme song is E1M1.

Being a Metal Head since before birth, I'd go for the Heavy metal style. However, they both have their place in video gaming.

I'm honestly having difficulty what "gothic" means, apart from a change of mood. The instruments are the same, the tempo and the style is the same, it's just that the melody seems to have more grief in it and generally be grimmer than non-gothic.

It really depends on the wad style. If it's a crazy action map, I'd choose heavy metal. If it's meant to be calmer but scarier, I choose gothic ambient. If it's meant to be like 1994-1995 wads, I choose 80s-90s music.

I run on Rule of Cool, so Heavy Metal wins every time for me. The lively, action-inducing music just makes the game more fun than the more atmospheric and tension-inducing stuff.

The Heavy Metal midis. Without them, Doom would lose some of its charme to me.
The ambient stuff is just boring and generic in my opinion, but it depens a little on the mood I am in. Sometimes, when I want to play some "serious" wads that try to create a new, darker athmosphere, I use those tracks instead.

MSPaintR0cks said:

The Heavy Metal midis. Without them, Doom would lose some of its charme to me.
The ambient stuff is just boring and generic in my opinion, but it depens a little on the mood I am in. Sometimes, when I want to play some "serious" wads that try to create a new, darker athmosphere, I use those tracks instead.

Yep. When I was a DOOM n00b, the principal thing that I like of the game was its metal tunes. I can't erase E1M1 from my mind. Is just too powerful.

One of the things I dislike from DOOM II was the non-pure metal ost.

Both. Every track from the original Doom fits their respective maps perfectly. While there are a few tracks from Doom2 that I don't care for or don't really fit (D_COUNTD and D_DDTBLU, respectively, for instance), it follows suit for the most part.

I think Bobby Prince pretty much nailed the musical aspect of the DOOM games. I remember thinking how cool MAP27's music was when I got to that level for the first time, how it was so different from just about any other DOOM music, and then slowly realizing that it was based on the song "This Love" by Pantera.

Bobby Prince = The Man.

Vordakk said:

I think Bobby Prince pretty much nailed the musical aspect of the DOOM games. I remember thinking how cool MAP27's music was when I got to that level for the first time, how it was so different from just about any other DOOM music, and then slowly realizing that it was based on the song "This Love" by Pantera.

Bobby Prince = The Man.

Unfortenely, he seems to have disappeared from the public scene...
The only things that I didn't like from the DOOM OST was the "remaster FX" on the original midis.

No preference, I like most all variations but like metal or the PSX Doom style ambiance.

DoomUK said:

Neither. I prefer the ambient PSX Doom and Doom 64 music.

Same here, although after downloading the "Doom Metal" wad that replaces both Doom 1 and 2's music with high quality mp3s, it's hard to beat. But the dark ambient tracks will always be my favorite.

GoatLord said:

Same here, although after downloading the "Doom Metal" wad that replaces both Doom 1 and 2's music with high quality mp3s, it's hard to beat. But the dark ambient tracks will always be my favorite.

DOOM Metal? Is that even exists? Where can I download it?
Or you're talking about the Classic DOOM 3 Soundtrack?

All the original Doom (and Doom II, Heretic, Hexen, etc.) music is excellent, but it's gotta be played in OPL emulation or on a real SB-compatible card. :)

Mexican Doomguy said:

DOOM Metal? Is that even exists? Where can I download it?
Or you're talking about the Classic DOOM 3 Soundtrack?

I don't know what the "Doom Metal" WAD is, but there is a genre of music called Doom Metal. Candlemass, older Trouble, Memento Mori, and Solitude Aeternus are a few that come to mind.

PRIMEVAL said:

I don't know what the "Doom Metal" WAD is, but there is a genre of music called Doom Metal. Candlemass, older Trouble, Memento Mori, and Solitude Aeternus are a few that come to mind.

I do know that. I'm kinda metal head, buy I hate black and doom metal.

I think the guy above was talking about a new mp3 DOOM soundtrack remastered.

Yeah, sorry for not explaining. They're really great remixes replacing all the music in both games. Great if you're playing it along with Brutal Doom and the PSX sound replacement wad, I use those with most mods now.

Coopersville said:

Thanks for sharing dude!
Do you have any sample videos showing them off?

I will love that.

Thanks anyway.

EDIT: I've played with that mode, and the OST is the same of "Classic DOOM 3", however, this is very bad-ass.

printz said:

It really depends on the wad style. If it's a crazy action map, I'd choose heavy metal. If it's meant to be calmer but scarier, I choose gothic ambient. If it's meant to be like 1994-1995 wads, I choose 80s-90s music.

Something like this. Music style itself is irrelevant, the music's function is simply to augment the map's atmosphere. Most of the songs in Doom 2 would be totally out of place in anything fast paced, but at the same time I really wouldn't want to play a slow pseudo-horror map while listening to E1M1's music.

Jodwin said:

Something like this. Music style itself is irrelevant, the music's function is simply to augment the map's atmosphere.

Not really...If you hear Heavy Metal, all of your body will be hot and ready to fight...that's why it fits perfectly with DOOM.

Now, DOOM 3 can't have HM music because of its gameplay, it is needed a more atmosphere music.

Mexican Doomguy said:

Not really...If you hear Heavy Metal, all of your body will be hot and ready to fight

Let me quote NOFX: "You`re wrong".

Only if that particular song is tense enough to do that. Metal can give you any feeling, depends on the song.

Hm....

My favorites are the slower, more atmospheric tracks in Doom1 - E1M5, E1M7 and E1M8 which I wouldn't consider 'Metal'.

Most of Doom 2's music didn't do anything for me though. I don't even use it anymore when playing the game - although D_DOOM fits right in with the Doom 1 tracks I mentioned above.