Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Relic

Never really measured it, but I'd say very high.

IMO, with the keyboard, the fact that you can only have a fixed turning rate (BTW, "running" and turning makes it faster, so you actually have two) is offset by the fact that you don't have to move your entire arm all over a surface, and that you can combine a controlled, constant-speed turning with other actions.

I USE INSANE SENSITIVITY ITS STILL NOT HIGH ENOUGH HOW CAN YOU DO NOSCOPES AND TRICKSHOTS AND 360s 720s 103182092s???

For real though I use 35 sensitivity on Chocolate Doom. Not sure how that translates in cm/360

I think a high sensitivity is appropriate for Doom since being able to turn around quickly when monsters appear behind you is usually more important than perfect aim.

Mine is also 35 in default.cfg for use with vanilla/plus. Got curious ant tried to measure in centimeters, so 360° turn translated to about 8 cms.

Around 2/3cm per 360 with acceleration, 7-8cm if I drag it really slowly. I changed it not so long while ago. As for why, well I like spinning on slow elevators. And because there is around 10 cm between keyboard and the edge of my PC desk, and I'm not really pleased if during some 180es I end up with mouse in mid-air. There is no such thing as the best sensitivity btw, it's just matter of own preference - e.g. okuplok has very low sensitivity (I believe).

Acceleration is also very important, and greatly affects how the mouse functions. So a simple statement of the sensitivity without reference to the degree of acceleration used is rather meaningless.

18cm/360, no accel. my yaw/pitch ratio for mouselook in ports is usually around 0.85.

If Doomguy doesn't rotate 1080 degrees when I so much as twitch the mouse, I'm not interested.

About 10cm, maybe.
No accel (registry patched), 800DPI

mouse_sensitivity 1.0
m_yaw 1.0
m_pitch 1.0

prescaled, not filtered.

That's what I use for zdaemon. if i want to play skulltag i have to increase the values a little bit but I still can't get it to feel "right". D:

controls and mouse sens has always been an interesting topic for me, as i like fast yet accurate movement and try to improve my somewhat lacking skills in this regard.
you should check my doomer's peripherals thread where where i asked the same questions about sensitivity and input devices.

(i changed my nick since, to avoid being mistaken)

the conclusion of that thread was that many doomers use a higher sens than players of (predominantly) other games, even fast games like quake 3 / live, if we go by threads like these examples 1, 2, 3 on esreality where top quake players use around 20-30 cm for a 360° turn.

this might be required by doom's extreme speed compared to modern games, and facilitated by factors like vertical autoaim, lack of headshots and generally lower resolution, even when using sourceports.

bloodshedder posted an image of the mouseman96 / later wingman gaming mouse in that thread. i use one with razer deathadder optics built in. it's the original mouse i learned playing doom with and i couldn't ever really get used to another shape. i might post pictures of it later.

i use default windows speed 6/11
accel off via markc mousefix
no filter
real sensitivity is 32 cm / 360°
which is rather low for doom and owing to pixel shooting in these newfangled games.
i have to check what value that ingame. normally i just get a ruler to "calibrate" my sens for a new game.

3 years ago i wrote 20-22 cm.
10 years and more ago i had just 8-9 cm / 360°.
this was the time when i played mostly doom DM and games were generally faster paced.
whatever, i noticed how i could barely play consistently with this old sens, so i lowered it.

j4rio said:

Around 2/3cm per 360 with acceleration, 7-8cm if I drag it really slowly. I changed it not so long while ago. As for why, well I like spinning on slow elevators. And because there is around 10 cm between keyboard and the edge of my PC desk, and I'm not really pleased if during some 180es I end up with mouse in mid-air. There is no such thing as the best sensitivity btw, it's just matter of own preference - e.g. okuplok has very low sensitivity (I believe).

i'm amazed by 2-3 cm with accel (!!!). i would have never guessed that from watching your demos, looks like controlled mid sense to me. i liked spinning on elevators too, now i move like 90° because 180° means throwing the mouse around. i have the same impression from okuplok's demos, low sens helps keeping the aim stable under pressure.

cm/360 is probably the best way to evaluate sensitivity for mice. In game sensitivity means very little without knowing Mouse CPI and OS mouse handling. Never mind the variable acceleration adds to the whole thing. I keep the Windows slider at 6/11 for 1 to 1 movement and never use acceleration.

I use 8cm/360 for Doom and same or similar for 'newer' games like Quakes, Unreals, Half-Life/2 and Call Of Duty games etc. I don't think I really adjust it for accuracy in other games but as related to the movement speed. As in Doom with always run = 8cm/360 but Call of Duty or Urban Terror might = 10 or 12 cm/360 because their slower movement speed makes the mouse feel 'too fast'.

Although most of my non-Doom or modern gaming happens on XBox 360 where my MW2/3 sensitivity fluctuates between 2 and 4 mostly 3 and 4. I'd like it higher for close quarters, watching my own back and to compensate for stun grenades. I'd like it lower for accuracy at mid to far distances but I'd need to be better at knowing where the enemy are and/or have a team that could cover my back a little.

Pirx said:
i'm amazed by 2-3 cm with accel (!!!). i would have never guessed that from watching your demos[/B]

I did notice j4rio's high mouse sensitivity from watching his demos, though I didn't quess it was that extreme. I prefer using quite low sensitivity myself, mainly for the fact that it looks smoother. I also suck playing under pressure and my hands start to shake pretty badly so high sensitivity is probably out of the question anyway.

As for casual play, I don't use mouse at all. I play with Zdoom and a gamepad nowadays. It's not possible to be as accurate as when using mouse, but I just like the feel of it and the smoothness of movement that can be achieved (including analog walking and strafing which is not possible on keyboard obviously).

I was just measuring a full circle and it seems like 5 cm, and I don't apply acceleration. This is 50 in vanilla on my system, and I adjust source ports to work similarly.