Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tango

Soopa Smash Bros

there was a thread about smash years ago in anticipation of brawl's release, and i know there was a pretty decent response to the thread. i don't remember who all but i remember Ralphis played, and i'd played online a few times with Shakal and Rottking and some others in UD i think.

does anyone else still play? i switched to Melee about a year and a half ago and started playing Ganon and i've since started practicing with some really high level players at/around the university, and been to a few tourneys.

i would also be interested in hearing all those silly arguments from you SF junkies about why smash is apparently not a real fighting game, is for kids, all you need is button mashing to win, etc etc etc. i guess doing this by button mashing is pretty easy anyway

Loved Melee. It's refreshingly unique from normal fighting games and require different tactics to win. I probably spent something like 300 hours playing it when I was still at school, became a master at it and unlocked everything. :P

Dunno why I stopped, but I guess it's because of a lack of real human competition.

I've had enough intense duels at it to say with confidence that it is a real fighting game.

SSB is fun, and I say this as someone who usually hates fighting games. Guess the zaniness of it gets to me.

I played and loved Melee during my teens and GameCube days, I eventually unlocked everything but lost the data after it somehow became corrupted so I tried to unlock it all again, it was quite a hard slough to get through it the second time round.

Oddly enough, Brawl emulates fantastically and you can even netplay with it. My brother has a Wii, I have the Brawl disk, which plays very well on my computer. Good times.

I have Melee. I love it. It's my favorite fighting game of all time.

I haven't played much of Brawl or the 64 version myself.

The 64 version doesn't stand as well to the test of time, but Brawl and Melee are almost the same game. Brawl just has more characters and those silly super smash items which I tend to turn off. From what I'm told it's a little more balanced for PRO PLAY, meaning less NO ITEMS, FOX ONLY, FINAL DESTINATION. I am certain people still play it this way though.

Shaikoten said:

but Brawl and Melee are almost the same game.

eh? melee is full of "glitches" that have completely defined the metagame since they were discovered (and one can bitch all they want about wavedashing, l-canceling being "glitches" but it really doesn't change anything). did you watch the second video i linked to? brawl doesn't require anything close to the amount of technical skill and precision that melee does at higher level play.

i talked to some brawl player the other day who said he stopped playing melee 3 years ago and hasn't touched it since because he feels it would take him way too long to catch up to everyone else.

I think I kind of offered up that I don't play Smash at a compo level. I like playing with items on. It's pretty fun. So honestly I wouldn't know about the state of either game's scene right now.

Sheik > *

Melee was the best, hands down. Brawl couldn't hold my interest.

Shaikoten said:

I think I kind of offered up that I don't play Smash at a compo level. I like playing with items on. It's pretty fun. So honestly I wouldn't know about the state of either game's scene right now.

fair enough.

does netplay work well when you emulate brawl? i was able to tolerate the wii's netplay when it first came out but i can't anymore. if only i lived in japan...

The emulator netplay doesn't use Nintendo's network, it's more like emulating split screen control so it think you have another controller plugged in when you're really across the world or whatever. It's not perfect, but in a fairly low ping environment I don't think it's all too bad. I'm sure it's changed since I last played it though.

I fucking LOVE the Smash series, especially Super Smash Bros Brawl. My favorite character would have to be Samus. I always turn items off and set the lives limit to three, that way it won't turn into some boring "My God hurry and die" type match.

Roy

There was a club at my high school that played Melee. I sucked badly and might have gotten like 1 hit in the entire match. Then I played the whole summer against level 9 bots until I got decent. I actually did somewhat well the next semester there. Somehow, though, I got really good at blocking (no, not camping, though the thought of camping in a smash game seems ridiculous to me) and smash attacks (which was why I liked Roy) but not much else. I played Brawl with some people from the WoW forums when I used to post there and they'd beat me but not after taking forever to get a hit on me without being either evaded or smacked across the board.

btw Ike was a crappy replacement for Roy

On an unrelated note, they can add a sega characters such as sonic in brawl but they can't add waluigi.

DuckReconMajor said:

But it's cool to hate Waluigi get with the program!

Sonic is more deserving of hate than Waluigi in my opinion.

Hmm, I had great memories of playing Smash Bros on the N64 at a friends house when I was a kid, so I downloaded it off the Wii store for my nephew to play. What a disapointment, it's just shameless button mashing and even my nephew, a Mario fanatic wasn't really interested. Damn you nostalgia!

Technician said:

I loved Super Smash Bros. for the 64. Sadly, I had a Gamecube, but never played Melee.

Heh, you're really missing out. Me and a good buddy of mine killed so many hours with that game. Lots of long, drawn-out duels featuring Samus (of course) vs. Peach. :)

I always insisted this game was for button mashing kids. So one year I joined a tourney at the local game store, I turned my back to the screen and just pressd one button over and over. I won second place and got 50 bucks.

Played a lot of 64 and Brawl, but never got around to purchasing melee for whatever reason. The games are loads of fun and a great way to kill time. Also, lots of potential for drinking games come attached with it. So, if you hate your liver, but don't feel like socializing with anyone but your roommates/siblings/friends, I recommend it.

Use3D said:

I always insisted this game was for button mashing kids. So one year I joined a tourney at the local game store, I turned my back to the screen and just pressd one button over and over. I won second place and got 50 bucks.

Either you're full of shit or the people you played with sucked terribly.

I'm not saying a button masher won't do decently against someone who's actually good, but you're going to have to use more than one button.

I play as Fox and sometimes Wolf. When I play as Wolf it pisses my friends off because they think he is way over powered. Sometimes I can't turn down the opporunity to troll my friends..

DuckReconMajor said:

Either you're full of shit or the people you played with sucked terribly.

I'm not saying a button masher won't do decently against someone who's actually good, but you're going to have to use more than one button.

Yeah...when I first started playing, I button mashed all the time and my friends whupped my ass. Then I got myself a copy and learned all the moves, so I'm pretty decent with it. There's no way you could win a tournament by button mashing in this game unless you were playing against a bunch of morons.

This game, on the other hand: