Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LightningBolt101

Some editing questions coming up

Just joined the community today and thought I'd say hi! Thought I should come into this section as I've just started mapping my levels for Doom 2 and the what not (Skulltag[Doom in Hexen format] if you want to know). I've been having some trouble with getting some of the commands to work, but I'm sure the community wouldn't mind helping. It's not nooby stuff like "How do I make a door?" but more of stuff like "How do I get monsters in another room to awaken when I pick up an object without them having to see or hear me?" That's actually something I've been kinda stuck with and had to change my map to an alternative to fix.

In other news, I just spent 2+ days trying to figure out how to get an object to move with a conveyor belt, only to figure out I've been doing it wrong.

I'm also willing to post some sample maps for feedback if you'd all like.

I use Doom Builder 2, by the way. Best map editor out there IMO.

There is a lot of tutorials but it's good to see that your experimenting, of course with experimenting it's expected that you'll probably find half a dozen ways something won't work before you find a way that it will. Personally I like to know how things won't work sometimes it's the only way to achieve a working model of your idea and can influence the outcome greatly.

I have a few suggestions since you just started mapping, I'm not sure of your level of experience with other programs but your probably best off starting by making a few vanilla maps. Don't concentrate on the fine details at first put all your focus in to the layout and making good use of lighting and texture choices remember in Doom "Good Layout + Good Textures = Detail".

Since I got my conveyor belt working, I've decided to put Skulltag's built-in custom monsters on them so you can watch these "odd" specimen steadily stream across the window out-looking them. This complements the rest of the map as the rest of it is filled with only Vanilla creatures, giving the feel that there are more powerful things out there than what you're fighting.

However, this also means these unreachable creatures count as a part of the overall monster count. Is there some sort of work-around for this so it's still possible to 100% the map while keeping the monsters there?

Pottus said:

Don't concentrate on the fine details at first put all your focus in to the layout and making good use of lighting and texture choices remember in Doom "Good Layout + Good Textures = Detail".

Also don't neglect monster placement/gameplay as well as traps and interesting situations, like fighting from high or low ground. Some of the best maps look kinda bland but shine due to being just plain fun to blast through.

Good luck!

Worked like a charm. Thanks! Only problem is is that they'd always move to attack since they could see the monsters (via the windows) so I'll just have to keep them as dormant. Not that it makes all the difference. Now the enemies just don't walk in place. No harm. Anyway, I'll be posting it soon for a public opinion from the forum. Just gotta set up a read me file for it.

How does using ACS scripts affect other source ports? I have some maps that I need them in order to make the map work the way I want and I was wondering if it had to be in a form that requires ZDoom or other ports that support scripting.

ACS as far as I know is ZDoom specific. But I think it might be possible to make hexen format maps for other ports that support hexen format.