Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tormentor667

Moments of Doom! - Book now in development!!!

I have just thought about collecting screenshots of the greatest moments in Doom, no matter what kind of. I thought about...

• Great moments in original Doom games (e.g. UDoom, Doom2, Final Doom)
  • Greatest classic projects of all time (e.g. stuff like Batman Doom, Cleimos, Memento Mori, Alien Vanguard)
  • Greatest effects in classic projects (e.g. bridges, texture effects, other magic that was genius for the past)
  • Greatest modern projects (e.g. Action Doom, RTC-3057, Epic)
  • Generally any kind of Doom screenshots that is a blast and shows of incredible work of any kind, wether it's a wad, a map, a tc, a pc, a weapon mod, a special effect, etc. Everything's allowed, just keep it interesting
There are just a few rules to think about...
  • Any screenshot must be taken with deactivated HUD/SBAR/Weapon (screen fullsize)
  • Any screenshot must be taken without being targeted (+NOTARGET for example)
  • Any screenshot must be taken in at least 1024 x 786 resolution (the higher, the better - advanced port) NB: link to it and/or use a thumbnail
  • You are allowed to use any apsect ration of your screen resolution (e.g. 16:9, 16:10, 4:3, 5:4, etc.)
  • 32-Bit is allowed] (the screenshots can look modern but should feel classic)
  • Special effects are allowed as long as they are part of the mod/project (yes to UTNT flames in UTNT, no to enhanced particles in Batman Doom for example)
  • When submitting something, you have to name the project title, the file link, the author and one sentence which describes why it is so special or what people can see
  • It is allowed to show off weapon/effect mods in other projects but not vice versa (showing of projects by adding weapon/effect mods)
  • GZDoom/Doomsday enhancements are fine as long as they are within the spirit of the original project (for example it wouldn't work well with Cutmanmike's MegaMan deathmatch, as it's supposed to be 8-bit!)
For clean shots here's something you can put in your ZDoom autoexec.cfg:
alias	savescrn	"set ep_screenblocks $screenblocks; set ep_crosshair $crosshair; set ep_show_messages $show_messages"
alias	cleansrn	"savescrn;hidescrn;wait;screenshot;wait;resetsrn"
alias	hidescrn	"r_drawplayersprites 0;screenblocks 12;crosshair 0;show_messages 0"
alias	resetsrn	"r_drawplayersprites 1;crosshair $ep_crosshair;screenblocks $ep_screenblocks;show_messages $ep_show_messages"
The main reasons for doing this are two things I have currently in mind
  • The less interesting point is adding these to the Realm667 as "Screenshot of the Moment", nothing special
  • The more interesting thing is that I have planned to create a "Doom Photo Book"
This kind of book is going to be a nice-to-have goody, completely printed and bound as a high quality book that you can order directly. I am working as a media designer in a large marketing and printing agency, so doing this won't be a big deal for me. My main goal also isn't to earn a lot of money, so the production costs and the shipping will go directly from the print store to the people who are interested in this. For me it's simply something I'd like to do because it's a nice thing. And if other people want this as well, I am happy about it :) So right now, before starting with the whole layout and the concept, I just need material. This is actually a community thing and with some support, it might become a pretty cool community thing - it would be kinda hard to collect all the screenshots on my own later ;) On the one hand I might miss something, on the other hand I do not have everyone's taste.

So thanks for your support and I am looking forward to your feedback concerning this.
Best regards,
Torm

News from 26th of February 2012:
http://www.realm667.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1346:moments-of-doom&catid=17:site-news&Itemid=246#JOSC_TOP
Now in development! Keep your screenshots coming!

Cool idea, I'm looking forward to the final result. :) I'll start with...

http://tinypic.com/r/24qilna/5

Project title: EPIC 2
Flie link: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=16262
Author: Alexander "Eternal" S.
Why it is so special: "The opening of level one Just says it all, doesn't it? The atmosphere is so incredible, the placement of everything - including the vases - is impeccable." (a quote from idgames comment section)

Thanks, more of that :) I am looking forward to this as well, I just need enough shots though... not only 10, or 20, actually more than 100 are necessary to make this work.

Tormentor667 said:

• The following GZDoom effects are not allowed: Smooth Sprite Edges, Scaling (e.g. HQ4 and similar), Bilinear filter (this also goes to similar ports and stuff, these kinds of visual enhancements are not in the spirit of this project)

I take it this also applies to Doomsday effects, and things like forced anti-aliasing via one's driver panel?

DoomUK said:

I take it this also applies to Doomsday effects, and things like forced anti-aliasing via one's driver panel?

Doomsday has anti-aliasing.

But yes, for what is suppose to represent the history of Doom, it seems strange to not allow everything.

Things like filters and dynamic lights are as much moments in Doom's history as everything else.

Vermil said:

Things like filters and dynamic lights are as much moments in Doom's history as everything else.

That's true in a certain way, but I doubt that a classic mod fits together with Doomsday flares and hires graphics for instance. It's simply totally different.

Tormentor667 said:

That's true in a certain way, but I doubt that a classic mod fits together with Doomsday flares and hires graphics for instance. It's simply totally different.

A major reason for the existence of GZDoom and Doomsday with their fancy effects is to try to improve the appearance of vanilla maps. Obviously whether they succeed is a matter of personal opinion.

Hence, I think it's something that should be best left to the discretion of the screenshot taker, i.e. whether to use say Doomsday or ZDoom, to take a screenshot in.

I don't know how to get a satisfying screenshot of the final teleport of E1M8. The teleport itself isn't as much of a moment as it is actually getting mauled to death in what was apparently the exit.

Maybe a screenshot of the exit switch of Dead Simple, of course with all the dead mancubi and arachnatrons surrounding it.

Another cool shot would be the start of MAP29, The Living End.

Tell me if I'm doing something wrong, will edit:-

Stepping outside for the first time in E1M1 was a "wow" moment.

@ProcessingControl - Yes, that's fine

@Vermil - Agreed, I changed the rule to this now:

• GZDoom/Doomsday enhancements are fine as long as they are within the spirit of the original project (for example it wouldn't work well with Cutmanmike's MegaMan deathmatch, as it's supposed to be 8-bit!)
I think that catches it better.

Here is one of the most visually stunning moments of original games. The "preview" of Inferno (which appears after the E2 intermission text) is exceptionally well-drawn.

SAV88 said:

Here is one of the most visually stunning moments of original games. The "preview" of Inferno (which appears after the E2 intermission text) is exceptionally well-drawn.

x2 - amazing.

Nice screens so far in this thread, and great call on the story pic; SAV88.

Here are some shots of scenes scenes that were responsible for me switching over from Heretic mapping to Doom mapping. Not that I won't go back to Heretic and finish my work there at some point.

At some point I might edit this post to give each screen a unique description but I'm not so sure I'll have the energy so I can't promise anything, unless it is absolutely required. :P

Alien Vendetta:

Download: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=11790

Speed of Doom:

Download: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=16040

Requiem:

Download: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=8194

Memento Mori2:

Download: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=6562

@Porsche Monty - Please read the rules, they are there for a reason.

@ducon - Yes, for sure.

@Deathevokation - Thanks for all these, would you mind posting them again in the minimum required resoltuon of 1024x768? This is important for the printing quality later.

This space walk from Hell to Pay's MAP15 by Wraith Corporation (mainly Jimmy Siebens and Mackey McCandlish) blew me away with its special effects, with the free floating and the climbing up the air hose (and no link because the WAD is copyrighted).

Tormentor667 said:

@Deathevokation - Thanks for all these, would you mind posting them again in the minimum required resoltuon of 1024x768? This is important for the printing quality later.

Sure, I'll edit a bit later. Sorry about not reading the instructions properly. :)

I just noticed when saving these to my hd, that each of them has a weapon visible. Would you all mind removing these? (read the rules, no hud, sbar, weapon please, that totally destroys the look :))

Tormentor667 said:

I just noticed when saving these to my hd, that each of them has a weapon visible. Would you all mind removing these? (read the rules, no hud, sbar, weapon please, that totally destroys the look :))

I removed weapons (not counting the ones lying on the floor) from my screenshots and edited my previous post.

Please remember not to post very large images using [img] tags. Feel free to link to them or use thumbnails (as edited into the previous post).

kmxexii said:

This space walk from Hell to Pay's MAP15 by Wraith Corporation (mainly Jimmy Siebens and Mackey McCandlish) blew me away with its special effects, with the free floating and the climbing up the air hose (and no link because the WAD is copyrighted).

Map15 was in the section of the wad that was made freely available as a demo (the "limited edition"), so there's no problem with linking to it.
http://www.gamefront.com/files/845720/hell2pay_zip

Somewhat OT: Does ZDoom have a camera mode where the player is just a camera with no hud weapon or hud?

Basically like Doomsday/Risen3D's 'makecam' console command.