Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LightningBolt101

Another map for playtesting

http://www.mediafire.com/?35z956da2x-d7qcj

A map I made to focus more on detail than on the easy gameplay. Of course that does not mean I'm going to steer away from playability. I'm just trying to figure out what players like to see and what players like to play so I can combine them later on when I get some more mapping experience under my belt.

But you can critique the gameplay if you'd like. I'm always looking for new ideas as to texture layout, room height variation, etc. I feel the map could be a bit harder, as it's easy even for a map01.

Fixed. You'll have to remove the "-" between the x and the d near the end. For some reason it keeps changing it to ** (I'm assuming it has something to do with it thinking it's an emote or something).

LightningBolt101 said:

Fixed. You'll have to remove the "-" between the x and the d near the end. For some reason it keeps changing it to ** (I'm assuming it has something to do with it thinking it's an emote or something).

For reasons unknown, the censor does block X and D when they are adjacent to one another.

As for the map, it was of course, easy. The textures chosen were an interesting mix, I only found one secret by luck so I don't know if that's a good thing or not. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

I gather from the text file this is an older map, but you seem to have posted it after your last one (in the other thread)? Anyway you need to pay attention to what ptoing said there, since this map still contains no height variation or anything of that nature. This means the fights are still pretty dull, although at least the four imp battle at the end required a little manoeuvring on my part.
As far as detailing goes every room/corridor looks exactly the same - a simple indent in the floor isn't really detailing, per se. The best mappers use details to make areas distinct from each other. Your texture choice didn't help.

I gotta be honest dude, this map wasn't really worth sharing, and you probably know that yourself. I'm guessing you're just learning how to use DoomBuilder, which is fine, everyone who maps has to do that, but asking others to playtest maps like this is pointless because there's really nothing to go on. I am sorry if that sounds a bit harsh, but if you're interested in 'what players like to see and what players like to play' then the best thing is to play wads players like, you know?

Oh and I tested this in Eternity and it didn't work. Pls investigate Boom generalised linedefs if you want both compatibility and flexibility.

Ah, but it was important that I post these.

When I say play testing, I don't exactly mean I'm going to turn this into a full-blown map that I'm going to release to the community. Perhaps the word choice was wrong.

This is more my way of testing out for future projects. When I do push out long, more detailed maps, I'll have a sense of what I'm looking for by collecting opinions on these styles of mapping. So far I've gathered that the size of the room and the ceiling height generally go together, as people probably expect the ceiling to be much higher in a large room full of monsters than in a tight hallway.

You've also helped me by making a few suggestions. It seems for simple maps that aren't fancy like ZDoom or Skulltag you'd like if a mapped them in Boom format? That seems reasonable. And you've given me a great idea of what I should do with different areas (making each room look unique).

So as you can see, this helps me much more than you'd think. It's the whole reason I'm posting these in the first place. I wouldn't post something without wanting to get feed back, right?

I for one thought it was a great deal better than your last map (take it as a complement.) Maybe add some more ammo and do what the others said. People seem to like the detailing in MAP06 of my wad, if you want to get ideas or whatever. But the best detailing would be found in Skulltag's death match maps.

Rayzik said:

For reasons unknown, the censor does block X and D when they are adjacent to one another.

Supposedly, some Mod or person of importance really hated that X-D face and censored it.

You should definitely work on more textures on the walls, change the floor textures and the lighting, with the red lights on the ceiling flashing but the brown lights on the side didnt really make much sense maybe make the ceiling with the red lights a little higher than do some bording on the sides of the linedefs, maybe a silver texture. The floor, I wouldnt use Flat20 to decorate the floor too much maybe use it for counters and things like that, make different colored doors and smaller doors even, more monster variation, and try to make some multiple entrances to different rooms to make it seem like a real base. or something. Just work more on the basics of doom mapping and you'll get better.