Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Violent Video game tax

If he wants to tackle obesity, I'd start with violent movie and TV program taxes. Watching them involves less physical activity than playing video games.

I love that the author of the article didn't resist the urge to make a pun about the representative's last name.

seeing as this is doomworld and weve already beaten the videogame violence stigma to death, can we bitch about the tax code being used for social engineering instead?

I mean i used to be able to get a pack of smokes for like two dolla. God damn.

Liam said:

I mean i used to be able to get a pack of smokes for like two dolla. God damn.

Cigarettes and tobacco prices in the UK have escalated to levels of absurdity. £7 (around 11 US dollars) for a pack of Malboros or Benson & Hedges. Discuss.

I think it depends on where you get them. Deep in the city a pack can be like 3 or four dollars more than you'd get them around here.

Eh, this thread isn't about cigarettes it's about that idiot's bill.

article said:

All that being said, there’s pretty much no way this thing would survive even if passed.

stopped reading after that.

DoomUK said:

Cigarettes and tobacco prices in the UK have escalated to levels of absurdity. £7 (around 11 US dollars) for a pack of Malboros or Benson & Hedges. Discuss.

You know what's really absurd? Inhaling smoke that is addictive, and worse, doesn't even get you high.

Honestly, anyone under the age of 50 who still smokes tabacco in this century is a dumbass.

Mr. T said:

You know what's really absurd? Inhaling smoke that is addictive, and worse, doesn't even get you high.

There's all different kinds of highs. In this case it's a sense of satisfaction, kind of like what you get when you eat something really nice (minus the nutritional benefit).

...And that, Ladies and Gentlemen, concludes my defence of why I smoke.

Cigarettes do have a slight, very short euphoric high when you first start smoking them, but the tolerance period is very short as well, after which there's just that faint calming effect (which is funny since nicotine is a stimulant). Most long-time smokers probably don't even remember it. I personally don't like it, it makes me nauseous. Glad I never got hooked.

A 20-pack of cigarettes will cost you $14.50 here in Norway.

Whats even more ridicilous is beer/liqour prices. A 0,5 litre of beer in a bar will cost you something between $9.50 (cheap) and $13.50 (expensive). I guess the normal is $11. And this is regualar and boring beer. Buy some brown ale, weiss beer or some kind of import beer, and we are talking $19 + + pr. bottle.

The cheapest vodka (which you will only be able to buy in special stores, with very strict opening hours 11:00 - 18:00, closed on sundays) will cost you $56 for a 0,75 litre bottle.

Now, you can only imagine the prices for whisk(e)y and other liqours ;P

In Poland:

Beer at a pub (0,5l) - ~$0,63 (cheapest shit that I'd never even try drinking) - ~$4,40 (expensive Russian and Czech beer that's found only at one pub)

Pack of Marlboros - ~$4,09

Also, complete derailment in 4 posts :)

Once, when I still was in high school, I was in the school's "back alley" where some of the "cool" dudes were smoking. A professor passed by and gave us a warning.

I replied "But Sir, it's well known that in places where people spend a lot of time isolated and unable to leave, such as ships, prisons, boot camps, barracks, workplaces and schools, they tend to smoke to pass time". I must have hit the nail head-on, as he didn't say a word.