Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Platinum Shell

Help converting these DooM 2 .mp3s's to .ogg

I've recently downloaded all of Suiton1's DooM 2 soundtracks into .MP3 format, and changed it to .OGG; however, for some reason, the .wad wouldn't load the HQ music files, and instead I was given silence.

What specifications are required and how can I fulfill them to convert these .MP3's into Z-DooM acceptable .OGG's?

Thanks for all the help,
~PS

Audacity will do the job quite nicely, though you should bear in mind that converting from one lossy format to another will result in some loss of quality. Where did you download the tracks from and what's their sample rate?

GreyGhost said:

Audacity will do the job quite nicely, though you should bear in mind that converting from one lossy format to another will result in some loss of quality. Where did you download the tracks from and what's their sample rate?

SDL seems to be crashy with MP3s. At least that's what I experienced with Eternity, though it was some time ago. Quasar confirmed it's a SDL problem (probably because MP3 is patented), so I've stayed away from MP3 in SDL since.

Considering this is for ZDoom, I don't know that format conversion's necessary - let alone desirable.

First of all, I have Gold Wave, so the conversion should be fine. And I used YouTube to MP3 (one of the high-quality, fast ones)to convert his DooM 2 soundtrack videos to MP3's, unfortunately it was the only way.

And I don't know sample rate, please explain.

Wait, so I should steer away from .MP3 all together? This is getting more annoying than it should. I just want to know what I can do to make DooM 2 soundtrack videos into a music file that I can plop in a .wad and play.

Platinum Shell said:

And I don't know sample rate, please explain.

With lossy compression formats audio quality is determined by the sample rate, for MP3 128kb is roughly CD quality and 320kb is virtually lossless - so basically the higher the better.

I just want to know what I can do to make DooM 2 soundtrack videos into a music file that I can plop in a .wad and play.

Assuming your YouTube-to-MP3 rips play fine, rename the tracks to correspond to the MUS lumps they're replacing (for example - "Map01_Entryway.mp3" becomes "d_runnin.mp3") and when creating your PK3 file, place them inside a sub-folder called "music".