Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Phml

WhackEd and DeHacked v3.1a

I've been trying to open DeHacked patches in WhackEd 2 and 3 for a while now, and often enough it'll refuse to open some of these patches. Looking in a text editor they are made with DeHacked v3.1a, and WhackEd outputs DeHacked v3.0. Is there important differences between these two versions? What kind of change, if any, can I make to DeHacked v3.1a patches to be able to open them in WhackEd?

I'm questioning the same thing: what the hell is Dehacked 3.1? Its own documentation still shows 3.0a so I'd say it's a hack?

TOP: try setting the numbers at the top of the 3.1 DEH file to the numbers at the top of the 3.0 DEH file.

That was my first thought as well. It didn't work.

Trying to look further into it, it seems one of the differences might be the way codepointers are handled. In the DeHackEd 3.1a patches I'm looking at, it looks like this:

Pointer 24 (Frame 39)
Codep Frame = 157

Pointer 25 (Frame 41)
Codep Frame = 157

Pointer 26 (Frame 43)
Codep Frame = 801

Pointer 33 (Frame 52)
Codep Frame = 38

As compared to DeHackEd 3.0 patches where it looks like this:

[CODEPTR]
Frame 738 = FatAttack1
Frame 739 = FatAttack2
Frame 740 = NULL
Frame 741 = NULL
Frame 750 = NULL
Frame 751 = NULL
Frame 938 = Look
Frame 939 = Chase
Frame 940 = FaceTarget
Frame 941 = TroopAttack

Edit: then again, Scythe 2's DeHackEd patch, which is said to be for DeHackEd 3.0, also uses the "pointer X (frame Y) codep frame = Z" syntax, and can't be opened in WhackEd either. Perhaps this has nothing to do with DeHackEd versions and is more of a WhackEd problem.

The "Pointer 24 (Frame 39) \n Codep Frame = 157" syntax is Dehacked's own. The "[CODEPTR] \n Frame 738 = FatAttack1" one is BEX. See BOOMDEH.TXT.

Oh, duh me.

Well, it looks like if I copypaste raw text from the file to a dummy dehacked file made with WhackEd and change the Doom version number to 21, it works, so I'll just do that.

DeHackEd 3.1a is pretty much the same as 3.0 except that it supports the Final DOOM executable and may have a couple of bugfixes.