Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Z0k

mappers block?

hello Doom Community. well maybe its seems that im new (because i just post on Freedoom Section anyway) but i saw here where most of the mapping legend are! i made just a few maps and still working on some but i just want some suggestions...

how do you get rid off from the mappers block's? there sometimes i cant map cuz i dont get ideas on how to continue my maps. so any suggestions?

For me its really not about the ideas, but the amount of time I want to spend implementing them. I like to just map out a general setting first based off of whatever knowledge I have of a particular area and with total disregard for gameplay, item placement, etc. Maybe just layout a general end goal in the beginning, but after that, the rest should just be spontaneous if nothing else.

If I get mappers block, I always turn up some heavy music or some good music from old games. That helps me map a lot surprisingly. Also helps me to set the midi right when you put a player start, because honestly, after listening to map 01's music for ages, I need something better and in the mood, especially if one does a lot of playtesting. Hearing map 01's music play makes me want to butt-fuck the map while strangling it all the way to map 30.

Basically, music.

If I ever get mapper's block, then what I do is stop mapping and start 'playing' with maps and stuff.

The thing with mapping for Doom is that so often it becomes 'work' with definite 'work' objectives. (i.e. mapping with the goal of a finished map.) So whenever I hit mapper's block, I just put away all of my 'projects' (ye gods, another 'work' related term,) and start just messing with rooms and shapes and textures. No objectives, no maps to finish, no constraints. And firstly this helps overcome mapper's block, because you are not trying to finish a 'map' anymore, you are simply playing. Which is actual fun.

The other thing that I do is that whenever I see a great screenshot of someone elses work, I save it in my 'Doom Pics' folder. So now I have hundreds and hundreds of inspiring pics that I can just scroll through and usually I get through looking at about like 10 before I start to get fresh ideas. No I am not ripping other people's work off, it is just a good starting point to look at things from a different perspective when your own perspective has stopped giving you ideas.

You're welcome. :D

If I got mappers block...

Step away from the machine. I get a lot of ideas about what I want in my map structure-wise when I'm thinking about it away from the computer.

If I am out of ideas with regards to structure and flow of my map and I stubbornly refuse to walk away, I might do some playtesting, detailing or play other maps to get inspiration.

A map is best completed by proper planning. If it's already too late for that, maybe you're experiencing mapper's block because you don't feel like you're really getting anywhere.

One thing you might want to do, is instead of adding on to what you have, create an exit room isolated by itself outside the map. That way you have to build your way to it. Think about possible obstacles the player might endure, such as needing a key or activating a switch that raises a bridge which gives the player access to the exit. Maybe you could mess around and try to create a really cool puzzle or a monster trap and find a way to safely implement it in your map.

Of course, solving the affliction of mapper's block is not the same for everyone.

When a drought such as this has come upon me, then I resort to Oblige and let it build some maps for me. They are great fun to play in their own right. When I come upon a map which I like, then I load it into an editor and start to modify, detail, retexture, add new monsters and/or weapons, etc.. During that process I usually have an epiphany as to what I want in my next map.

Then again, if the Oblige route does not hold any appeal for you, then load any map which you like. Or, as some have done already, the original DOOM / DOOM2 maps, and in the process constructed some very nice pwads, I am thinking of the KDiZd_Team and Rex, and modify them with your own touches.