Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Orchid87

If you were in charge of Doom 3 what would you change?

Totally. Especially if its FPS. Doom 3 would have rocked if it was like God of War but with doom weapons and doom enemies. Instead of Aries have a towering Icon of Sin.

geo said:

Totally. Especially if its FPS. Doom 3 would have rocked if it was like God of War but with doom weapons and doom enemies. Instead of Aries have a towering Icon of Sin.

Wait... How would that have worked at all?

It was a joke. My real comments are on page 1. But it would have worked. Unlockable abilities, double jumps, wall climbs. Guns for long range, short range using your fist, brutal kill moves like pulling the head off a Baron of Hell, shot gunning a pinkie to the face with a 1 second close up. Quick time events. Climbing up a cyberdemon and chainsawing through its skull. Push bock puzzles, imps as archers, using living humans as fodder, tearing apart former humans, sacrificing living ones to the gods so you can continue. Fuck Mars, Diemos and Phobos were gods at some point :-)

Hey even Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks sold copies... Of course you could have done my other idea of making all Doom monsters into cute plushies and had it be a Wii on rails laser blaster game. Not FPS.

-To see more of Mars, not just in those "omg, runnin out of oxygen gotta find an airlock" bits

-More hell & alien ruins areas.

-More weapon functionality; instead of the flashlight & grenades being separate slots, they're weapon mods. Flashlight could be attached to lighter weapons (pistol, machine gun, shotty), the machine gun and chaingun can equip a grenade launching mod, etc. Mods can only be attached to one weapon at a time, and the switchover is not instantaneous and shows the player adding or removing the mod, so switching up in a battle is a bad idea.

-Corpses not disappearing immediately, not exploding when you hit them twice with a flashlight, etc.

-More use out of the Berserk powerup, and maybe bring in another powerup.

Necromancer-AMV said:

-To machine gun and chaingun can equip a grenade launching mod, etc

not grenade launcher, cus then u have COD :(

but the rest, YES!!

D_GARG said:

not grenade launcher, cus then u have COD :(

CoD wasn't the first game series to focus on under barrel grenade launchers and besides, the only CoD games to have existed around the time of Doom 3 didn't have them as they were based in WW2.

Necromancer-AMV said:

-More weapon functionality; instead of the flashlight & grenades being separate slots, they're weapon mods. Flashlight could be attached to lighter weapons (pistol, machine gun, shotty), the machine gun and chaingun can equip a grenade launching mod, etc.

You do realize that hand grenades are not the same type of grenade as the grenades used in under barrel launchers.

Avoozl said:

You do realize that hand grenades are not the same type of grenade as the grenades used in under barrel launchers.

Tell that to the Quake2guy. He finds grenades on the ground that look like some kind of pottery pots. In the hands they're still about the same color, but a bit different shape and twists from the middle, the shape stays when it's actually throwed. In the grenade launcher they're like grenade launcher grenades usually are. But when they're launched they're something similar to those grenades in Quake1. Well, at least he doesn't try to fit them into the rocket launcher, like his cousin Quake1guy.

I guess in Doom3 I would change the grenades less bouncier, shotgun reload 1 shell at a time, chaingun name to minigun and it should also have a larger ammo capacity and faster firerate.. or just replace the gun into some single barreled machinegun. Shotgun pellets could spread less. Double shotgun could have an exception with automatic reload disabled, so that it would still automatically reload, or have a larger ammo capacity than 1 shot/2 shells. Armor was littered everywhere.. I'm hardly ever below 100 points.

Using the artifact in nightmare mode should have restored player's health to at least 25, and maybe if player's health was above 25 in any difficulty, it should decrease player's health to 25. It was a demon item which obviously corrupts the user, but also at the same time keeps him alive. Sort of like The One Ring.

I think the grenades in Doom 3 were flawwed. They took way too long to release and the game is mostly close quarters. So the only real times to use them were dropping them down holes or rolling them through closing doors, which took too long and the grenade would bounce back at you.

The game should have told people the obvious that a shotgun is a close range weapon and a machine gun is a long range weapon. Or just kept the same weapons physics.

Perhaps different and stranger powerups like... an artifact for all shotgun damage done results in more energy for you for 1 minute. Or shogun shells light enemies on fire or plasmaing an enemy will pop out ammo or health packs on their death for 10 seconds.

Jimi said:

Tell that to the Quake2guy. He finds grenades on the ground that look like some kind of pottery pots. In the hands they're still about the same color, but a bit different shape and twists from the middle, the shape stays when it's actually throwed. In the grenade launcher they're like grenade launcher grenades usually are. But when they're launched they're something similar to those grenades in Quake1. Well, at least he doesn't try to fit them into the rocket launcher, like his cousin Quake1guy.

But you don't use hand grenades as ammo for the rocket launcher in Doom 3 now do you, so they are likely to do it in the realistic sense with Doom 3.

I probably would've made Doom 3 a true survival horror game. Doom 3 wasn't really true survival horror. At no time did I ever feel vulnearable or afraid of the monsters. Mainly because I always had plenty of ammo and I knew I could handle any situaion I would come across.

I would've allowed the player to only carry like 2 weapons to start with. However, when the player finds a backpack, he or she would be able to carry 3 weapons at a time. I would've also made ammo and health a lot less plentiful so that the player would have to conserve ammo and scower the base for ammo and weapons.

I would've also made the levels a lot more explorable. Not so linear. Not necessarily bigger and wider open, but just with more paths to take than just one and a lot more rooms to explore.

I would've also made the monsters more deadly by giving them better AI and also allowing to do higher damage to the player so that the player would be more afraid of them. I would've made the Z-secs have smarter AI like the replicas in FEAR so that they would be tactical and fun to fight. The demons would have more animal-like AI. I would've made the imps more like the aliens from Alien vs. Preadtor 3 that would crawl all over the ceilings and walls to get at the player. This would've given the game more variety in enemy AI and tactics so that the player would have to adjust his oher tactics in order to kill the monsters. Kind of like in Rage where each bandit clan fight differently.

The sounds from Doom 3 were really boring. The monsters didn't sound that fearsome. The weapons lacked punch. The explosions didn't sound like explosions at all.So I *******ely would've fixed all those by making the monsters sounds more deadly and vicious. The guns would've sounded more powerful. The explosions would've actually sounded like explosions and also had better special effects so they weren't so boring to watch.

I would've also made Doom 3 more gory. For me, the gore in Doom 3 sucked. Gibbing the zombies was no fun at all. Killing the demons wasn't satisfying either because they would just burn up upon dying. Their corpses, blood, gibs wouldn't stay around so you could see the damage that you did to them. I basically would made it gory like Brutal Doom. I would've allowed dismemberment, head explosions, disembowelments, full body gibs that would be more satifying and cool to watch, and also permanent blood. The weapons, like in Brutal Doom, would be able to really mess up the enemy. Chainguns would be able to dismember, cut in half, rips heads off, or strip an enemy's upper torso of all the flesh it had till it had nothing left. The shotgun would be able to dismember and rips their heads off. The DB shotgun would be able to dismember, rip heads off, blow them in half, or gib their upper torso like in Brutal Doom. Pretty much would've given the weapons all the deadly effects that they have in Brutal Doom to make the enemies more fun to kill and the weapons more fun to use.

I also would've gotten rid of all monster closets and cheap warp-ins that was in Doom 3 for a number of reasons. Number one, because the monsters were way easy to kill when the warped because they would just stand there and roar for like 2 or 3 seconds which gave the player plenty of time to go and give it a shotgun blast to the face. Also because the monster closets kind of ruined the atmosphere. They made me feel like I was in a game rather than in real place. Maybe in some of the hell levels I would have allowed monster closets because it's hell and it could be a little bit more believable to have monster closets in hell rather than in the base levels.

I also would have allowed the player to carry a flashlight on his helmet so that he or she wouldn't be annoyed to have to choose between being able to see and being able to defend one's self.

Probably would've also filled the levels with more living, friendly NPCs in order to make the world more interesting and make story telling more interesting aswell. I probably would've allowed the player to fight alongside an NPC sometimes aswell, but the majority of the time the player would be alone.

Anyway, can't think of anymore changes I would've made. Maybe I would've made the player fight bigger groups of enemies at some points in the game. Not hordes because simply the comps. back then would not have been able to handle that and would've exploded if there was like 50 enemies on the screen at once. I probably would've made the player fight like 10 enemies at once. Mostly the player would be fighting like 3 to 5 enemies at once.

Just thought of another thing I would've changed. I would've made the world more interactive to make it more interesting nad so that the player would be able to do more than just kill monsters.

doom_is_great said:

The sounds from Doom 3 were really boring.

Trent Reznor sounds mod.

doom_is_great said:

I also would have allowed the player to carry a flashlight on his helmet so that he or she wouldn't be annoyed to have to choose between being able to see and being able to defend one's self.

Duct tape mod.

Not that this invalidates any of your other points, and I agree that if survival horror was what id were going for then they should have gone all the way, but nitpicky things like these were fixed 8 years ago.

Yeah, I know. Trent Reznor sound mod doesn't fix all the sounds though. The explosions still suck.

I think making Doom 3 like STALKER, where the base is just one huge massive level and you have to search for ammo and health to survive would've been way awesome. STALKER elements combined with the points that I wrote in my previous post I think would've made Doom 3 way more awesome.

Gore - MUCH more gore and bodies that dont fade away!

Include the double barrel shotgun (I know you can get it from expansion)

Some better sounds, dont get me wrong, Doom 3 sounds great, some effects and gun sounds are pants.

More gore and blood, sticky dripping decals!!!

More Mars surface areas

Some more types of monsters, include some more that were in Ultimate Doom

More gore, being able to blow limbs off monsters....head shots!!

More hell levels, at different times, breaking up the steel corridors

Make the BFG feel like a BFG - monsters should gib violently causing a mess everywhere

Oh and gore!! Lots more gore!! Cant believe I nearly forgot that one!!

Grantman711 said:

Doom 3 changes?

Doom 3 would have drivable Vehicles,
Better online play with game Modes like halo

Yeah, no.

Really, there's only one major thing I'd change about Doom 3 - monster deaths. One of the things that really made Doom stand out for me when I first played it was how gory it was. And yeah, there was lots of gory scenery in Doom 3, but when you killed a monster, it just ragdolled and dissolved. I mean, there was just something about the gore in the original... the first time you gibbed an enemy, the first time you killed a Baron and his intestines spilled out... Like, I'd never seen that in a game before, and it was just so unsatisfying after the original game to just see monsters fall over and disappear.

What would I change if I were in charge of Doom 3? Double the player speed, narrow the shotgun spread, and make corpses not disappear. That's it. I threw together a quick mod like this, and it feels like a completely different game. It's actually a very frantic and fast paced game if you just run around instead of walk around. It's extremely fun to play this way.

GoatLord said:

Are you going to release this mod?

Oh, sure, I'll release it at some point. Right now, it's just an actor definition mod, I plan to do more to it before I release it. Mostly stuff like making new weapon skins, (maybe) try to get weapons centered, (maybe) removing reloading, replacing the machine gun with the chaingun and the grenades with the rocket launcher, stuff like that.

If you really want it, I'll release it in it's current very unfinished state. It was only a quick experiment to see how it would feel, but I think I'll make a whole mod out of this considering I like how it feels.