Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stroggos

Voxel Doom Port!

reaperman said:

What are we missing now anyway?

Also something still needs to be done about the light amplification visor, it still looks weird. :/

For the pickups, I think it's just the Skull Keys and the various spheres, if we can think of a good way to do them. There's lots of scenery/decorative items left too.

Still not sure what to do about the light-amp goggles. Was never sure if they were supposed to be glasses, or some sort of attachment for the helmet.

DooMAD said:

Still not sure what to do about the light-amp goggles. Was never sure if they were supposed to be glasses, or some sort of attachment for the helmet.

I'll mess around with them a bit and see what i come up with.

As far as I am concerned, I like the "PDA look" of the current voxel automap. You can create the "box look" if you want, but I think I would stick to the flat version. :)

As for the decorations, it's great if they get done, but a problem will be ingame alignment. Pickups you can spin, but for decorations it will look stupid. Many of them will just face the wrong way. Over at the Duke3D HRP project, we use maphacks, but they have considerable disadvantages, the most important ones being that it's time-consuming to make them plus they will only work for specified maps, but not custom ones.

BTW in the ZDoom wiki, I read that translucent voxels are possible, but translations are not supported. No clue what that means, but maybe this can help with the spheres - or maybe not. :)

As far as the skull keys go, I'd personally like to see them flat, similar to the keycards, like a skull-shaped key kind of thing.

NightFright said:

As far as I am concerned, I like the "PDA look" of the current voxel automap. You can create the "box look" if you want, but I think I would stick to the flat version. :)

I was just going to make it a bit thicker and change the back a little.

Oh well, then go ahead. :)

BTW for the time being, I have solved the MAP01 problem in Doom II by extracting the voxel wad and making a zipfile instead (putting the lumps into "voxels" dir). There, you just don't include the "maps" dir, and it works again. Besides that, I have also excluded the switches (sw*.lump) since they only work on test map.

And another thing: Was this tested with ZDoom? In GZDoom, item alignments are fine, but with ZDoom they seem to float above ground for some reason. Maybe it's just because of my hardware (I am playing it on a Samsung NC10 netbook), but better make sure.

I don't have that problem with zdoom, but i noticed that if you get far away from the Lamps and pillars that they sink into the ground. Also i noticed that the red button switch dosen't work correctly, just look at it and press it; i'm sure you'll notice whats wrong.

That would explain my problem. But that would mean that GZDoom is the only port that properly supports voxels. Can't they fix it for ZDoom? They know about the issue for over a year now, it seems...

NightFright said:

That would explain my problem. But that would mean that GZDoom is the only port that properly supports voxels. Can't they fix it for ZDoom? They know about the issue for over a year now, it seems...

Thing is, Voxels aren't really a big deal in Zdoom-land. I think a lot of that is Build-code too; not sure if it can be fixed. I really woudl like a build-free version of the voxel code, though. getting tired of no one being able to benefit.

NightFright said:

That would explain my problem. But that would mean that GZDoom is the only port that properly supports voxels.

From my understanding, technically you're looking at MD2 models in GZDoom, not voxels. They're converted at runtime.

Looks shiny so far.

I did start the Red skull key ages ago, but I don't think I made it the right size and wasn't sure how it should look from the back. Would probably need to redo it from scratch anyway.

phi108 said:
One cool use is also the creation of 16-angle frames for the imp, almost faithful to the originals, I did 1 to test, between angle 1 and 2:

Now THAT'S a project I'd love to see done for that and the other doom monsters. Anyone willing to give this a shot?

And a related question, has anyone made (or tried to make) angled monster corpse sprites yet?

Maybe I missed it, but did anyone actually download the voxels for zdoom at this link?

http://www.teamhellspawn.com/zdoom_vox.zip

The zip includes zdoom and a test wad, when you load it you are in a test map full of voxel objects.

I post this because the tone of the thread is as if it doesn't exist, or would be a bad fit for zdoom, but it is right here.

rampancy said:

Maybe I missed it, but did anyone actually download the voxels for zdoom at this link?

http://www.teamhellspawn.com/zdoom_vox.zip

The zip includes zdoom and a test wad, when you load it you are in a test map full of voxel objects.

I post this because the tone of the thread is as if it doesn't exist, or would be a bad fit for zdoom, but it is right here.

It's still missing a few bits before we can call it an official release, but yes, what's there so far is pretty damn good. The tone of the thread is mostly due to the fact that it's a bit of a slog and taking forever.

For me, it's good to use ingame already, anyway. What is still missing IMHO are the skull keys, the spheres (those will be difficult, but I would actually be happy with simple rotating balls having animated faces) and the slime barrels (possibly the golden candelabra, too). From the hanging/impaled corpses, just one is done so far, but I don't miss those so much.

The voxelized enemies might be very interesting later as well. For now, it's already a really good pack and will certainly be a must-have once it is finished (or at least when the most important parts are done).

When I use this, the switches are facing the wrong direction... they are sideways.

Edit: never mind, apparently only the one on MOD DB does this.