Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

steuntron said:

My Doom shareware came on 4 disks. With cheats I could get all 7 weapons. But a friend of mine had a different version. It came on less disks (2 I think?) and he didn't get all 7 weapons with the IDKFA cheat. I don't know what else was missing from his version. Does anyone what version this is?

What the? Every shareware version I've seen has fit onto two floppies and doesn't include any of the plasma/BFG graphics in the WAD.

I guess my confession could be that I only bought Doom II in the early 2000s. I first bought a shareware copy in 1995, then my brother and I found the CD version of Doom II for rent (yes, rent) in our local video store, so of course we installed it and returned the discs. In 1997 I bought The Ultimate Doom on CD-ROM as my first experience of episodes 2-3, and this was always my preferred version of the game. Eventually, Doom II became one of those "classic" budget titles, and since I'd lost my old copy of it I decided to atone for my sins and buy a legitimate copy. Finally, in 2006 I put that game to rest by finishing the entire thing on Hey Not Too Rough, though I've done episodes 1-3 on Ultra-Violence, and Thy Flesh Consumed on Hurt Me Plenty. Phew.

Duke3d was a badass game. Only games I've ever enjoyed deathmatch in were Duke3d and Unreal Tournament. I go through droughts but I've never lost interest in Doom, though.

dlawrence said:

What the? Every shareware version I've seen has fit onto two floppies and doesn't include any of the plasma/BFG graphics in the WAD.

I must be confused I guess. It's a long time ago. Memories change over time. Maybe I had a 2 disk version, and his version fit on 1 disk?

I remember that he had a version with even less content than mine shareware Doom.

qoncept said:

Duke3d was a badass game. Only games I've ever enjoyed deathmatch in were Duke3d and Unreal Tournament. I go through droughts but I've never lost interest in Doom, though.

I always wondered how going online with Duke Nukem 3D worked.

I got access to the internet in 1999, I was using Windows 2000 then. I don't know how people accessed the internet in 1996. Duke Nukem 3D did not have a server browser. How did people acces the internet with DOS? I can't imagine how it worked back then.

I imagine you have to load a driver like you had to do with sound cards and cd rom drives. And then use a browser and search newsgroups for an IP adress of a duke3d server?

Damn... I am really curious how it all worked back then :D

I'm guessing they used DWANGO

Previous to DWANGO I'm told they would make usenet posts asking if there were other Doom/Duke players in their area, then set up a time and connect manually.

edit: Wikipedia says people used Kali

-I look almost exactly like the Doom marine, except I have green eyes. I am ambidextrous like him as well.
-Doom used to scare me a bit at first.
-The alternative death scream introduced with Doom 2 scared me the first time I heard it.
-The first FPS I've ever seen was Hexen when it came out, but shortly after I played Doom Shareware v1.2, which was my first FPS I've ever had.
-Until 2001, the only Doom versions I had were that shareware v1.2, Doom 2 v1.666 and the only PWADS I had were those in my Master Levels CD.
-I finished Doom E1-E3 on Nightmare (E4 on UV), Doom2 UV (couldn't get past MAP07 on Nightmare), Duke Nukem 3D (skill 4), Hexen (skill 5 with every character), Doom 3 (veteran difficulty) and various other FPS games with keyboard only.
-I started to play Doom online only in late 2004 and only then I realised I really needed to play FPSs with Mouse + WASD 'cause I was getting owned!
-I never played Doom on a difficulty lower than UV.
-I finished the first three episodes of Heretic on max difficulty, except E3M8 (I ran out of ammo while trying to kill D'Sparil); I finished the other two additional episodes on min difficulty. Maybe I should try again, after so many years!
-I have played Doom E1 so many times (both offline and online) that I think I know it better than myself. Thus, I think Knee-Deep in the Dead is more than a masterpiece!
-Anyway, I still didn't understand if the marine really died at the end of Episode 1 and then resuscitated, or if the gateway teleported him to the Deimos base when he was nearly dead.
-I owned every possible version of Doom (console ports, cell phone ports, source ports, etc).
-I play every vanilla-compatible and limit-removing Doom PWADs on DosBox (with the use of Doom+ and Doom2+).
-I think vanilla mods are the best, even if I don't dislike newschool mods.
-Until today, I thought John Logan had died at the end of Legacy of Suffering 'cause that head on a stick looked like his own head. But if there was a planned sequel... Am I wrong?
-I found the last level of Cold As Hell too hard (of course I was playing on the highest difficulty), thus I had to cheat.
-I think I've never beaten the final boss in both TNT and Plutonia properly.
-I never managed to finish Strife, even if I know about the multiple endings thanks to YouTube.

steuntron said:

I don't know how people accessed the internet in 1996. Duke Nukem 3D did not have a server browser. How did people acces the internet with DOS?

I still remember using Windows 95 at my friend's house, having to dial an ISP 400kms away and logging onto the id Software page to download the Quake demo. We nearly crapped ourselves when we saw this.

But alas I'm not sure about internet gaming pre-Quake II.

steuntron said:

I always wondered how going online with Duke Nukem 3D worked.

I got access to the internet in 1999, I was using Windows 2000 then. I don't know how people accessed the internet in 1996. Duke Nukem 3D did not have a server browser. How did people acces the internet with DOS? I can't imagine how it worked back then.

I imagine you have to load a driver like you had to do with sound cards and cd rom drives. And then use a browser and search newsgroups for an IP adress of a duke3d server?

I didn't play on the internet. Modem first, and then when I had a network built at home we played via IPX. My buddy could even bring his iMac over and play, but we'd experience desync issues every once in a while.

I also played the PSX version of Doom before finding out about the PC version of Doom. I kind of underestimated how creepy and scary the sound effects were in PSX Doom compared to PC Doom.

For example, the growling an Imp makes when walking around in PSX Doom sounds a lot more scarier. When I was little, I always thought I could make out the Imps saying "I'm gonna get him"

Same thing with the growling when Demons are running around the map. In PSX Doom, playing as a little kid, THAT was scary.

Also creepy was the the Arachnotron walking sound effects in PSX Doom.

The Doom 64 Cyberdemon scared the living crap out of me as a kid (again, played Doom 64 before playing E2M8 on PC). The Cyberdemon walking sounds were a lot scarier in Doom 64 that it took me a really long time to confront a Cyberdemon in Doom 64.

For example, in Watch Your Step, once the Cyberdemon spawned, I immediately bolted to the opposite part of the map, where you got the Blue Key earlier. Now, the exit room is between the starting room and the Blue Key room, separated by the door bars on both sides, which open when the Cyberdemon dies. I would kill the Cyberdemon by poking bullets and shells through the bars, knowing he couldn't get to me.

The Doom 64 Cyberdemon was so terrifying to me as a kid that I had a nightmare about one, where there was one in my house. I decided to go hide under the blankets in my mom's room. I heard the Cyberdemon's walking sounds getting extremely loud, as he was very close to me. Then he fired a rocket or two towards the blankets I was hiding under. Kaboom.

I honestly thought the BFG had eyes, a nose, and teeth when I was a little kid. I may have called it a robot too.

See?

As you see, the PSX version of Doom was pretty creepy to a little kid like me, mostly because of the sound effects. Aside from the ones I have listed, the sounds of doors opening and closing (fast and slow), the lifts, switches, and everything in between just made the game that more creepier.

I thought the Barons of Hell and Hell Knights were enemies that were wearing pants with no shirts as a kid.

I liked Pain Elementals as a little kid in PSX Doom because of the sound they made every time they got hit.

peach freak said:

I honestly thought the BFG had eyes, a nose, and teeth when I was a little kid. I may have called it a robot too.
*DON'T QUOTE IMAGES*
See?

Haha, me too! Infact, within a month of me first playing DooM as a twerp, I nicknamed the BFG bucky (as in bucktooth).

Until recently, I thought the HellKnight did half/less damage than the BaronOfHell. Nope, only difference is that a Knight's hide is half as thick.

peach freak said:

[IMAGE]
I always called those "bulldogs" when I was little...

Heh, When I first played Doom which was the gba version when I was 17, I thought the Baron of Hell engravings looked a bit like bulldogs myself and thought of them as pathetic looking.

- I discovered Doom on a console magazine reviewing the Genesis/Megadrive 32X version and couldn't play it until...
- ... the PSX Version of Final Doom.
- Later when I had the PC version I played it on Doomsday with 3D Models, MP3 and HD Textures in I'm too yound to die. And replayed it in UV with iddqd.
- Then I discovered PrBoom and became a violently oldschool and hypocritical challenge seeker.
- I never finished a megawad I planed to do : Spira (and my English was way worst than today too).
- I've let stupid bugs in Plutonia 2 map 32 and I feel guilty for that every day (I've made a patch too but as the fixing of the other maps looks postponed it waits in the dark).

Shame on me people!

I rarely have chance to play PWADs - something I hope to change this year - but I still have your Spira on my HD. There some thing about those maps that compelled me

Don't quote images? Are some members stuck back in the 90's? Anyways...

Back in my wee days of first finding DooM and playing it off my grandpa's lap (he was a DooM-maniac, still is), I had a dream where I was getting chased by a pinky in my old house. My only weapon was the pistol, but it fired water balloons. One of my strangest dreams ever...

To this day I haven't finished Plutonia. I stopped at level 25, that with a maze of red rock in the open, and sergeants all over. I don't even know how the final level looks like.

purist said:

I rarely have chance to play PWADs - something I hope to change this year - but I still have your Spira on my HD. There some thing about those maps that compelled me

If you like it there are chances that I finish it one of these days.

printz said:

To this day I haven't finished Plutonia. I stopped at level 25, that with a maze of red rock in the open, and sergeants all over. I don't even know how the final level looks like.

Map25 is a toughie in particular, in fact it might be one of the harder endgame maps due to how exposed the player is and a rather brutal fight later on.

Actually no, it's all pretty brutal :P

lol, I can also raise my hand in saying that I had trouble with Plutonia Map25. My issue was that I couldn't get into the exit room. It took me a couple more tries to figure out that you had to press the Spacebar directly on the Red Door bars, rather than in the gaps between the Red Door bars.

The map's name was the Temple of Darkness. The map name and the music track used in that map (Adrian's Asleep) really made me feel lonely at the end of that map lol

I must confess that:

-if a WAD requires anything else than vanilla, limit removing or Boom, I won`t play it, even though I do most of my playing in with Skulltag or ZDoom

-If a WAD has a "funny" name, I won`t play it.

-If a WAD has a name like "Khorus Speedy Shit", "Green Day" and so on, I might play it depending on my impressions beforehand, but I will never consider them favorites no matter how good the maps are, because it totally ruins the whole "package" for me.

darkreaver said:

-If a WAD has a name like "Khorus Speedy Shit", "Green Day" and so on, I might play it depending on my impressions beforehand, but I will never consider them favorites no matter how good the maps are, because it totally ruins the whole "package" for me.

Bahaha! I can understand where you're coming from. Made my day. :)

darkreaver said:

So you reject wads without epic names? Nice. Also, by "Green Day", it also includes "Greenwar"?

Let me add this confession that I'm jaded by most simple Doom megawads... They need to have a gimmick in them to keep me occupied... something beyond "hey you're a marine, here's the shotgun, go kill these demons, find the big boss at the end and kill it, good luck; watch out for arch viles and revenants".

I gotta admit, I am a little like Darkreaver in some aspects. That vanilla mapset with the mechanic, by those two dudes. (My memory is so bad. I think it won a cacoward or something.) Those were fantastic levels, and I thoroughly enjoyed playing through them. But somehow, somewhere, at the back of my mind, I could never shake the fact that I was a mechanic. DAMMIT !!

K!r4 said:

- I never finished a megawad I planed to do : Spira
Shame on me people!

Holy crap. I have had this 4 or 5 level wad sitting on my HD for years. Couldn't remember who it was by, but yes, please finish if you can. These were good levels.

darkreaver said:

I must confess that:

-if a WAD requires anything else than vanilla, limit removing or Boom, I won`t play it, even though I do most of my playing in with Skulltag or ZDoom

I don't mean to be rude but that is pretty limiting. I know you've heard it before, but don't judge a book by its cover.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

But somehow, somewhere, at the back of my mind, I could never shake the fact that I was a mechanic. DAMMIT !!

You used to work as a mechanic? :D (especially during your Dooming pause, before without reason you created that new account)

Hehe, I know it`s limited =)

Khorus: I really loved your mapset, that must be said.

Greenwar? Don`t know what it is, but I remember hearing the name several times.

I don`t "reject" WADs with names like that, they just wont ever make it to my top list ;P

printz said:

You used to work as a mechanic? :D (especially during your Dooming pause, before without reason you created that new account)

Heh, no, never worked as a mechanic. Helped a few friends do some work on their cars over the years, but never done any work on a car that I actually got paid for.

I mean (soz if I didn't explain it very well), your character in that particular Doom wad was a mechanic. Someone must know the wad I am referring to. It was by two guys. It was a vanilla episode for Doom 1. You were a mechanic. Great vanilla mapset.

The other thing I will add to this confessional thread, is that I only discovered in the last few months that if you click the Doomworld logo that appears in the top left of every Doomworld page, it takes you to the Doomworld homepage.

'Coz I'm pretty switched on like that.