Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gruntkiller4000

Custom Door Sounds?

How can I make my own Custom Door sounds. The ZDoom wiki doesn't seem to be of any help and I can't find a way to add my own custom sounds to doors! I am also unable to find anything related to doors in ANIMDEFS besides AnimatedDoor. Can you please help me out?

Do you want to replace all door sounds or to have both doors with normal sounds and doors with the new sounds?

In the former case, all you need to do it to name your door sound lumps with the same name as those in the IWAD. (Or alternatively, use SNDINFO to modify the sound definition to point to your new sound lumps.)

In the latter case, however, you'll need to override the sound sequence for the sector corresponding to your custom doors. You have to define your new sounds with SNDINFO, create a sound sequence with them in SNDSEQ, and then you have to place sound sequence things in your custom doors.

If you map in UDMF, you can use the "soundsequence" sector property instead of placing a sound sequence thing.

If you're using xwe, open 2 xwe's at once: one with doom 2 and one with your wad. Then go to the sounds tab in doom 2. Find the name of the sound you want to replace. They will have names like DSDOROPN and DSDORCLS. Then go into your wad and click Entry, New, then type in DSDOROPN or whatever. Click OK. Then click on your new entry, and go to Edit, Replace, and then find whatever sound you want to use on your computer.

Krispy said:

If you're using xwe, open 2 xwe's at once: one with doom 2 and one with your wad. Then go to the sounds tab in doom 2. Find the name of the sound you want to replace. They will have names like DSDOROPN and DSDORCLS. Then go into your wad and click Entry, New, then type in DSDOROPN or whatever. Click OK. Then click on your new entry, and go to Edit, Replace, and then find whatever sound you want to use on your computer.

XWE sucks, don't recommend it to new modders, it's best that they become acquainted with good tools from the start.

Slade is much better.

Also, SLADE lets you open several archives at once. They can all be in their own tab.

Master of sangre said:

I just tried slade to see how it is compared to XWE. Suffice to say, I'm never going back...

Yeah XWE IS really really old now and basically useless to me. I use Slade. Slade is the best I know of...

XWE was amazing back in its day. Let's not dis it too much, just because now it has been superseded by newer, more functional apps like Slade.

Some of XWE's most annoying bugs could be fixed if a WORKING source code was ever released, not that broken stuff that's missing a fuckton of dependencies :-(