Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Acid

You have just generic'd the generic.

This is a fun idea for the community. Instead of signing up, people will just post maps as normal if they feel like it.

----->Theme:<-----
The theme is an extremely generic map, such as a typical computer room with computers with the white startan, or a typical hell map with marb faces everywhere. Generic as in still visually appealing, but nothing special or different.

Yes no?

Porsche Monty said:

You're encouraging mediocrity.

Welcome to the world, enjoy your stay.

Porsche Monty said:

You're encouraging mediocrity.

More of a fun thing, but asking people to make generic maps if they feel like isn't encouraging mediocrity. Could be said also "what do you feel is generic?...expressed in a wad"

What's the appeal of this? It's not that every map needs to be gimmicky or anything, but using "be generic" as a constraint seems like nothing but a creativity stifle.

Unless you're playing avant-garde and attempting to induce a community revelation by buckling a perceived lack of creativity in modern mapping under the weight of its own monotony, then I'm afraid this is probably one of the worst ideas ever to grace forum.

...Although, if it were somehow made law that these sorts of maps must be drawn toward this project (or better still, a series) then the idea is not just commendable, it's ingenious.

I think something more fun would be to make a classic-looking map that is not generic but not overdetailed, and at the same time fun to play.

Olympus said:

I think something more fun would be to make a classic-looking map that is not generic but not overdetailed, and at the same time fun to play.

Sounds like DTWID

Visually appealing levels that don't do anything special or different...? You should make DM maps for Skulltag.

I think it'd actually be a challenge to come up with something that's merely "generic Doom" rather than "dull and uninspired". Of course, the problem is that generic is seen as a terrible thing.

BloodyAcid said:

http://i42.tinypic.com/15rjfd0.png

Generic enough?

The gray panels remind me of WinDEU. Except that they're aligned.

I find it funny most people who spoke up against this idea tend to make and/or like maps I consider extremely generic. It's all in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

Phobus said:

I think it'd actually be a challenge to come up with something that's merely "generic Doom" rather than "dull and uninspired". Of course, the problem is that generic is seen as a terrible thing.

I don't think it's a bad idea to keep all the generic stuff contained in one thread so it can wallow in its own filth.

People talk down about generic maps but isn't that most Doom levels anyway? I haven't seen many maps that didn't look like other maps from before. Lots of typical tech-bases, typical hell influenced tech-bases, typical crypts, typical hell levels, etc.

For something trully generic, try SLIGE or other randomizers like that. Anything touched by a human will be unique in some way or another, unless your rules are very strict.