Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lost Soul

DeePSea

I am using DeePsea to try an make new texture, but I'm running into problems. I am trying to import and edit a texture into Deepsea, but the damned thing wont work. I first begin with a blank square, then there is no button to import If I do that. If I try to edit a specific one, I only get monsters, even If I export, and try to view all textures, so the space is too damned small.

Little help?

Not sure what you are doing since there is more than 1 way to make a "texture".

The SIMPLEST way to make a new texture is to

1. Create a BMP or PCX image with your new "texture" using any paint program you like (or grabbing any image you like).

2. Then press F7 and select "AUTO Textures from BMPs"

3. Now press Add Files and add as many BMPs as you want. Each will be made into a complete texture.

4. Now press "Save" and select either an existing PWAD or a new file.

You are done. It's easy to make 1000's of textures in just a few minutes from existing BMPs using this tool.

If tell me what tool you are in, I can describe other ways to make a texture. The help file has descriptions of the pieces that involve texture making. The tool above did all that for you automatically.

The parts of texture making are TEXTURE1, PNAMES and then patches.

Okay, I got them imported just fine, but I can't seem to view them, or edit them. I can't seem to use them when I'm making a level, or tweaking an existing one. the help file is being of little hlpe here too. Anyone know?

Lost Soul said:

Okay, I got them imported just fine, but I can't seem to view them, or edit them. I can't seem to use them when I'm making a level, or tweaking an existing one. the help file is being of little hlpe here too. Anyone know?

Imported HOW? You either have to use the Tool I mentioned above OR you have to know how to use patches and make textures. If you used the BMPs to Textures tool the result is in the file you saved them in. If you load that file the textures are automatically available - UNLESS you also have some other files with texture control. So be sure to "Reset/Close" all files and load just your texture PWAD.

The help file describes what textures are all about. It's fairly lengthy and most people don't bother reading the details. The various tools assume the user of the tool understands the concepts involved - although the BMPs to Texture one requires the least amount of knowledge.

If you just imported some graphics use the Import/Merge tool, all you have now are raw patches - NOT textures. So describe EXACTLY what you are doing, so I can tell what you are doing wrong.

I am using the textures from BMP tool. I save them as a wad file. when I open the fil and try to use the textures on an existing level, it doesn't work. I can't pick, not find them when I"m assigning a texture to a linedef.

Lost Soul said:

I am using the textures from BMP tool. I save them as a wad file. when I open the fil and try to use the textures on an existing level, it doesn't work. I can't pick, not find them when I"m assigning a texture to a linedef.

Just not possible assuming you actually used the right tool. The current release is 11.6 I just verified although I made over 200 textures a few months ago and someone else just wrote saying they made about 1000. You don't even have to open up the new PWAD with textures, does that by itself.

From that I'm assuming you have something else loaded with TEXTUREs as well or you are not using the right tool. Look at Edit/View Active files and see what else you have loaded.

Tell me EXACTLY what messages you are getting in the tool, since despite what you are saying I just don't think you are using the BMP to Texture tool, but instead the Import/Merge tool which will act just as you describe - since that doesn't make textures, just patches. Or maybe the Graphics Editor?

Here's what you started with in the first post:

I am trying to import and edit a texture into Deepsea, but the damned thing wont work. I first begin with a blank square,..

Well here you use the word "import", then you talk about "edit" and NEITHER of these is in the BMP to Texture tool. That actually sounds like you are in the GRAPHICS editor - that's the only place you can start with a "blank square". But that is NOT a texture - that's called a "patch". People starting out always get confused between "TEXTURES" and graphic patches. They are 2 different things.

If you read the help topics starting with "Graphics .." it tells you the differences.

I must admit I'm having exactly the same problem.I followed your 'The Simplest way to make a new texture' and saved as a new file.I think the question now is exactly how do we use that file (i.e. the texture) in a new map?

magikal said:

I must admit I'm having exactly the same problem.I followed your 'The Simplest way to make a new texture' and saved as a new file.I think the question now is exactly how do we use that file (i.e. the texture) in a new map?

If you kept it separate, you need to load that file at all times when editing and when you play DOOM. Or you can merge the texture file with your level using F7/Import Merge.

IOW, it's simplest to keep the TEXTUREx/PNAMES/patches with your level. So save it to the PWAD with the level and it's always automatic. A "new" file is more for being able to use it in more than one PWAD.

The textures created are automatically available in DeePsea once you created the new textures. In the texture browser, all textures that are new (not part of DOOM) have yellow names. The default texture name is the name of the BMP, but you can rename both the patch and texture name used.

Alright. I use the tool "Auto textures to BMP". I am now in a window that is called "DeePsea Automatic convert BMP images ->PNAMES ->TEXTURES"
I select the BMP image. name it as nescesarry, and then I hit save. It says "BMP IMPORT LOG" with the following info: ** Verifying 1 PNAMES Entries **

** No Errors ** in Pname list

** Verifying 1 TEXTURE Entries **

** No Errors ** in Texture list

I hit OK and designate a name for the file. It says TEXTURE/PNAMES created sucessfully. That is all I do.

and now when I make a level, and pick from ANY list of textures even after loading the wad, I still can't find them. do I have to merge them or something>?

Let's make it real EXPLICIT, since you left out the name of your texture it makes it difficult to fully communicate:

Let's say you import a BMP called NEW1, then after you get done you will find a texture called NEW1 - I guarantee it.

But please do this to keep ALL other factors out of it:

1. Reset/Close all files. Either click the top tool bar for this or select from the File menu.

2. Do the steps shown earlier and add NEW1.

3. Save it to YOUR level, not some other name to avoid confusion. If you don't have a level yet, just save MAP01 to create one first (after step 1) for now till we get this straightened out.

Now look for the texture called NEW1.

OH - and in ALL of this I'm assuming you are using v11.6 - NOT the one on Doomworld which is old.

And another BIG OH, I'm also assuming you DID NOT uncheck the checkbox that says "Create TEXTUREx" cause it won't make textures if you did that, but only PNAMES.

To be totally honest this is entirely irrelevant, but I think many people just have problems understanding what you are trying to tell them. Although I understand what deep is saying and I do indeed get it to work, I had a problem in a similar sense not to long ago and it blew up in everyone's face. It was a big disaster.

This is simply a suggestion deep, so take it as you will, but why don't you create a step by step help manual on how to do things? To be totally honest there are people who know absolutely nothing about what you are trying to tell them and even things that seem easy for you or for someone else may fly right past them. He obviously does not (either doesn't know or doesn't acknowledge) what you're trying to tell him, so realistically the best way to handle it is to go in a step by step fashion directing them EXACTLY what to do. That's just my opinion though. Since you seem more or less inclined to create the best Doom editing utility, you might as well try to make it as user friendly as possible too right?

Black

Black said:

.. the best way to handle it is to go in a step by step fashion directing them EXACTLY what to do.

Oh that is relevant alright and a good idea. See my first post:)

However, the online help explains (press the help button) gives an overview of this tool. The rest of the help talks all about textures and exactly how DOOM makes textures. The help for this (and similar tools) has to assume that they understand that part. IOW, each section of the help can't explain over and over the essential concepts.

Some parts of editing are more difficult conceptually than others. It takes some time to get the hang of not only stock DOOM, but then all the various ports too. I'm just like anybody else and don't like spending too much time in help files - it's something I'm forced to do:)

I have a feeling he's running an older version though that did things differently.

I saved the texture, I can NOW see and edit it. But! Putting it in a level is another thing.

I am only now using 11.6 though. I just got my registered today. :)
I was using 11.4 shareware.

Lost Soul said:

I was using 11.4 shareware.

Well give me a nickel for guessing that one:) I think in 11.4 you have to open the file created to see the textures. Plus you had to merge the file (using merge tool) with your level. Somebody complained about that being a pain and I agreed.

Now that you've already made the texture file, you can just merge it with any level you've made using F7/Import Merge. The Target file is your existing level and the file you Add is the texture file. When you save the 2 will be combined.

Or you can just redo the BMP->Texture tool and this time select your level as the name to save to. It will automatically merge the texture stuff with your level.

Either one will work. Be sure that your "old" texture file is now gone by using Edit/View Active files. You should see only ONE file active (not counting the IWAD) when you are done.

Some interesting points from Black...I think when you are new to editing the main difficulty lies in a lack of familiarity with many of the terms.Import,merge,Pnames etc they all take some getting used to to fully understand exactly what you're dealing with or doing,it's a bit like learning a foreign language of course.An in depth glossary of terms may help for us beginners.But Deep your help is very much appreciated because it still goes a long way to putting us on the right track to understanding what we need to do,sometimes it just takes a little work on our part to understand exactly what is involved.
I've v11.3 btw,can I upgrade or do I need full programme?

magikal said:
when you are new to editing the main difficulty lies in a lack of familiarity with many of the terms.

Absolutely true and I think I say something like that in the help. However, in the format of a forum, one can't really do 1-2 page explanations of basics when the question only indirectly involves terms. For one thing, nobody would bother to read it:)

I (and many others) do basic explanations when a person clearly is asking what a "Texture" is all about. There's a glossary in the help to give one an overview of all these strange terms.

it's a bit like learning a foreign language of course.

That's a good way to put it. It's exactly like learning a foreign language. It takes many months of work for a beginner to get comfortable with it all. Anyway that's how long it took me.

I've v11.3 btw,can I upgrade or do I need full programme?

Upgrades after about 4-5 months are $15+s/h. So use the upgrade option on the order page and send proof of registration. If you did it via email and you still use the same address, we can figure it out:)