Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Leon

Various questions about how to do various things

I need to replace the trees in doom as they look horrible. How can I do this. Where can I find some new obstacles

Well I'm fairly certain that you can't have new obstacles in vanilla DOOM without replacing existing sprites. So you'll need to be using a source port that supports DECORATE. Then it's just a matter of opening the wad with the trees or whatever in SLADE or XWE, and then cutting and pasting the contents into your wad. After that, you should be able to select the objects in DOOM Builder, under the DECORATE tab.

Looking for the textures of maybe a large newsboard and a chain fence (essentially just one chain connected by posts)

Freedoom has some different trees, and also a big (128x128) chain link fence texture: A-GRATE. It has no posts, but you easily add them yourself, even if it's just based on DOORSTOP.

Kappes Buur: I downloaded Treefarm and opened it with Slade. I did what it says (SS_Start to SS_end) and copied and pasted the images into my WAD. But how do I add them in from Doombuilder?

If you're mapping for ZDoom (or another port that supports DECORATE actors), you'll find them in the "Decorate" category when placing/editing actors in "Things Mode" - otherwise you'll need to rename them to replace existing obstacle sprites and convert from .PNG to Doom image format.

Well when starting ZDoom it says invalid decoration. The things are in .PNG format. How do I change then to doom image format?

You also need the DECORATE lump from treefarm.wad - it can be located outside the SS_* markers. As for converting the sprites - multi-select them, click on the "Convert Gfx To..." option, check that it's converting to "Doom Gfx (Paletted)" and hit "Convert All".

Trees worked for me in a quick test map, is there more than one DECORATE lump in your wad and if so what is the other for?

Where can I find a texture of a newsboard. Preferably white with writing on it around 128x128 size

Also, where can I find skyboxes to download? I'm looking for a cloudy (dark) texture but cannot find one

I'm getting a skybox from one of my old WADs to add to my current WAD. Where do I find it is slade 3 on my old WAD and how to I add it to my new WAD?

Please note that you don't need to start a new thread every time you have a new question, especially when it is similar to or closely related to a question you have recently asked. Chances are, people who can answer one question can answer the other, and are more likely to do so if they are all in one place. (Some threads merged.)

I need to get a skybox from one of my WADs and add it to another. It's name F_SKY, but cannot find the skybox in Slade 3. Where would it be and how do I get it to my other wad so it works?

Sky textures are SKY1, SKY2, SKY3. You just use the flat F_SKY and the game uses one of these three textures based on which episode (level number) it is. So Map06 would get SKY1, Map18 would get SKY2, etc..

By which I mean you want to look for a texture named SKY1, SKY2 or SKY3.

My powers of clairvoyance have failed me, not knowing which particular sky texture you're referring to (probably for Map01 but I won't jump to conclusions) I'll generalize. For Doom 2 you're looking for patches RSKY1, RSKY2 and/or RKY3, assuming your custom sky's using one of those names it's just a matter of copy/pasting the patch to your new wad, no need to add it to the TEXTURE lump since it's already there.

I thought Grazza had merged this thread with another?

There's a flat named F_SKY1 but that's not so much a flat as a placeholder for the sky textures (whichever one happens to correspond to your maps episode). Maps 1 to 11 use Sky1 (RSKY1), 12 to 20 use Sky2 (RSKY2) and 21 to 30 use Sky3 (RSKY3).

Ok. I worked it out. Still having trouble with putting a custom texture in my WAD though. I'll try and work it out.

Everytime I add a custom texture for Slade 3 I do the following:

1: Import it in and size it as 128 x 128 and save it.
2: I place it between the PP_Start and PP_end markers
3: I go to convert GFX to Doom format.
4: And then go to GFX and go "Add to TextureX"
5: Save it all.

When I go to doombuilder and open it up the texture appears broken (red with a white cross through it). I don't know what I'm meant to do.

It should appear if you have no other texture1 entry in the wad.

Heres what you do.

1. Create a new wad
2. Import a texture
3. Right click on the entry and select add to texturex
4. It will come up with a dialogue box saying that it does not have a texture 1/2 or textures entry click yes
5. It will then come up with another dialogue box click on "import from base resource archive" then click ok

save it then open the map you want it in it should be working

It doesn't come up with a dialogue box saying it does not have a texture 1/2 or textures entry click yes.

Can I just copy and paste the texture into a particular area or not? How do I get this to work?

And whenever I try and save the image in the texture editor it says: Patch TEXTURE2 cannot be found in any open archive