Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
dsm

Chainsaw

This *might* have been discussed before (no, it's NOT a regular weapons topic), but I don't remember having seen it.

If the chainsaw is in Doom 3 (I wonder how they'd ever be able to make it make sense), how should it work.
I'm gettin' a bit tired of the tried and true just-hold-the-chainsaw-out-in-front-of-you-and-slice-everything-that-gets-in-the-way-to-pieces.
I'd prefer something new, something slightly related to the chainfist in Q2Mp:Ground Zero.
What I had in mind was a chainsaw which you swing at the enemy, but once you hit a "victim", you'll continue to slowly pull the chainsaw through its meat until you've sawed it in half - the tougher the enemy, the longer it'll take to cut it in half.

That way, small enemies like imps and formers would be cut in half within a second or so, whereas medium monsters like the 'pinky' would take a while longer to pull the saw through (and it'll be too big to actually be able to cut in half - it'll just get it's face sliced to pieces and then it dies).

Whaddya say? Personally, I think something like this would be cool IF ol' "meatslicer" will be back in the next incarnation of Doom.

Here's what I had thought about:

When the chainsaw is equipped and running, a series of "damage points" are active in front of the player (in the direction they're facing). About nine or so points, arranged like the chain on the saw (aligned with the saw model) and extending about a meter in front of the player. When one of these points is inside an actor's hit box, the actor takes damage. The more points that touch the actor, the more damage they take. The engine would also keep track of how the points move: if the points move around inside the actor but remain inside the hit box, the actor takes even more damage than if the points were standing still relative the actor. The further they move within the actor, the more damage the actor takes.

In short, getting right in a monster's face, sticking the whole saw in 'em, and running the damn thing all throughout thir body wil do more horrible things than just clipping the monster with the saw.

Well however the damage is calculated, a chainsaw would certainly need to go INTO the enemy and leave visible wounds. Just spawning a bunch of blood particles between the saw and the enemy (like in Doom, and surprisingly, more recent games like Serious Sam 2) won't do.

Considering the level of realism the new Doom seems to be employing, I don't see much reason that a chainsaw would be present... the main power tools present would most likely be along the lines of welding equipment, ya know? This brings me to my suggestion... instead of a chainsaw, have the melee weapon (assuming it is limited to only one possibility) be a laser based cutting tool designed to quickly cut though damaged pipes or other metal plating. Hell, it could even be shaped like a chainsaw if need be, though a hacksaw shape would seem more practical.

Just a thought.

I don't think the chainsaw holds much weight in Doom. I mean everybody got pretty bored with it after a while. I know I did! Well maybe the occasional run around and cut up zombies when I got a little bored after finishing the game. Everybody SERIOUSLY playing the game, tasting the real fear kinda got a little pissed when their ammo ran out and all that was left was the chainsaw. I wouldn't be completely destroyed if they left it out, or even put it in for maybe one or two scenes where you have to cut your way out of a dodgy situation. Once there is a shotgun, I'm okay.

The chainsaw would be a lot of fun if it worked a lot more like a real chainsaw would (i.e. giving the player the abilty to cut weaker enemies in half and actually cut wounds in the bigger monsters).

But I agree, I wouldn't be devastated if the chainsaw ain't there - as long as the rest of the weapons are there (yes, that's including the FIST attack!). Finding a chainsaw on a space base wouldn't make sense, but in a city, there *could* actually be found an excuse for it (*me takes a note on my "ideas for future Doom stories" notepad).

Chainsaw was one of the best weapons to use in Doom - especially against the weaker monsters or the monsters with less mental toughness (even good against cacodemons and PE's).

If IMJack is with IdSoftware, and doom3 will use that kind of system, im all for it. It's a good system IMO, though the amount of damage each "point" will do should be kept pretty small (less than 5, especially if the blade is whirring around as fast as I think it is).

That way if you only clip a guy with it he'll only take about 20 damage out of it, but for extended long-hauls you could do as much as 200 or 500. In addition I would have to say that tougher characters should have some kind of duration for which they must endure pain but then get over it even if the chainsaw is still stuck in them (that way you cant just lay into a baron of hell or some other boss and kill them before they start taking a plug out of you). Maybe some kind of pain-damage reduction system (they get hit with a weapon, then deduct a certain number of damage from it for the purposes of determining how much it actually hurt - note: this doesnt actually modify the amount of health they lose, only how much losing that amount of health effects them).

EllipsusD:
Perhaps they do need another weapon for the advanced melee slot - chainsaws seem a little low-tech for a spacefaring race (humans in this case), but whatever they replace it with should definatly be chainsaw-like in it's combat abilities (some kind of thumping jackhammer or a laser saw or something - vibroblade is still too close to a chainsaw and are abit passe' in the scifi world).

Fools! The chainsaw isn't a human weapon, it's a demon weapon :-P
Just look at the Ogre in Quake1 ;-)

dsm said:

Fools! The chainsaw isn't a human weapon, it's a demon weapon :-P
Just look at the Ogre in Quake1 ;-)

Ah but check Nehahra's interpretation of that ;)

Zaldron said:

Ah but check Nehahra's interpretation of that ;)

Who?

Too large a file for me to bother downloading it, but I gather that it has something to do with Quake's minions stealing human technology or something.
Oh, and my post above was a joke anyway.

I won't really miss the chainsaw,if it doesn't come back on D3,but if it does,I would like it to have a primary and alt attack. My idea for the primary would be an "X" like slash pattern off the horizontal plain,and the ALT would be a more powerful(vertical)downward chop. Of
course he'll be wielding the CS with both hands....

dsm said:

Too large a file for me to bother downloading it, but I gather that it has something to do with Quake's minions stealing human technology or something.
Oh, and my post above was a joke anyway.

Yeah I know but that's 8 hours worth of Quake Fan Fiction turned into cutscenes. Great stuff.

Great stuff at first - until just after Ranger gets briefed, then it all turns into shit, which is damn inconsistent with the little backstory Quake has.
Dammit that "Ranger" who's in that machinima must be Flynn Taggart in disguise or somethin' and note how that Phil dude suddenly turns invulnurable whenever he goes into combat - just fucking look at how many hits he takes without dying!

When I think carefully about it, it even seems that there are a few inconsistencies before that as well.

Now, I liked the basic storyline of it though - gives me a lot of inspiration. But I could probably do a more true-to-the-game Quake fanfic if I wanted to (which I don't. I already have three stories to complete - one of them is halfway complete more or less).

Yeah, good moUrning each fleshy-friends! Im glad to see here the Elders (i mean those guys that i saw here last time, and that was looong time ago, ho,ho,ho). Alrighty i finished with official side lets rock...

What you think about quake3 Gauntlet as a chainsaw replacer? It looks like heavy-metal fist - some experiments with a disign and youll get a real RazorFist 3000 (or something like that).

How to use:
1. to kill weak dummies
2. to open doors

Its also may have metal rope portable catapult (like Batman has)...

Well just a wasted suggestion

I dunno....well It does get a bit long by then yes, but it's still good stuff. Phil rules, and Max is just cool :D
Ranger was a dummy hero, becuase the way he's implemented, it makes people think "Sweet here's the hero" and even more suprising when it's actually Phil.
but thats the point, in the original game you could surive a few rockets before you went down, especially with full health/armor..

Hopefully the new project underway will be just as good :)

Well, the story is good in its own right, but it's not quite true to the story in the game (or the info we get on Ranger in Q3A for that matter).
About the characters:
Max - Why the Hell does a US marine speak with a British English accent (and this particular accent is very ugly, especially the way he says "yeus Suer" - "yes Sir" when translated to a decent accent)?
Oh yeah, and I have one more thing to say about Maxwell: Get a haircut soldier, or you'll end up with some of all that hair stuck in a machine!

Phil - Phil rules??? Dammit, he must be this Quake story's version of the Doom comic's marine!
Some quotes to give you an idea:

All right, I'm here, ready to kick some buett!

Comin' to get ya, shugga, shugga babeeya!

One word: YUCK!
To sum up my opinion on him: He's even more ridiculous a hero than Duke "smartass" Nukem and his way of talking annoys the crap outta me. I don't mind his personality as a character, but as a hero he's a nuisance and doesn't fit Quake's scary settings at all.
*Thumbs down

Yeah, you could survive a lot in Quake, but not THAT much - I played Quake1 after watching the parts where Phil kicks arse and I let myself get killed, I didn't last particularly long - that was with armour on.

Oh yeah, and to return to the actual topic: Why the Hell would they transport chainsaws for construction of a fucking base? Bases aren't made of wood afaik.

Oh yeah, and to return to the actual topic: Why the Hell would they transport chainsaws for construction of a fucking base? Bases aren't made of wood afaik.

Can you remember ? Maniac Manson ? The Chainsaw in the kitchen !? ;)

Every good game needs a chainsaw !

bigbadgangsta said:

Chainsaws can cut more than wood. Some blades are made to cut rock and metal.

Well that's fine, then there might be a good reason for puttin' a chainsaw in the new Doom game :-)

Forgot to mention one thing: The chainsaw should work a bit more than Q3A's gauntlet in a way - equip yourself with it and you don't do anything other than holding it in front of you and it doesn't make a sound because it's not turned on.
When you press the fire key, you still just hold it in front of you, but the marine is "operating" the chainsaw, meaning that the blades are spinnin' and making lots of noise. As soon as you get close enough to something that you can cut (that would be the enemies) while holding the fire key pressed, the marine automatically brings the saw blade down on the unfortunate monster and slices it to pieces.

Comments on that?

dsm said:

Great stuff at first - until just after Ranger gets briefed, then it all turns into shit, which is damn inconsistent with the little backstory Quake has.
Dammit that "Ranger" who's in that machinima must be Flynn Taggart in disguise or somethin' and note how that Phil dude suddenly turns invulnurable whenever he goes into combat - just fucking look at how many hits he takes without dying!

When I think carefully about it, it even seems that there are a few inconsistencies before that as well.

Now, I liked the basic storyline of it though - gives me a lot of inspiration. But I could probably do a more true-to-the-game Quake fanfic if I wanted to (which I don't. I already have three stories to complete - one of them is halfway complete more or less).

I hate that mod... One Question, why do every monster in Doom/Doom2 hear you when you use the fist? It's kinda stupid that everyone hears when somone is using the fist and attacking someone. I liked the Chainsaw from Quake2 and i hope it will be like it...

Well, Doom's an old game and maybe they just didn't bother to program the fist attack differntly from the other weapons. I don't know.
About the Q2:Ground Zero chainfist: I found that it was much too pathetic a weapon to be cool - now if that darned thing actually dished out some damage, THEN it would be awesome.
Other than that, I agree that it's cool and I hope that the chainsaw in the new game (if it'll be there) will have a swinging attack slightly similar to the Q2:GZ chainfist - elaborating a little on my idea above, the marine should swing the chainsaw at the enemy when he gets close enough to them (when the fire key is held down).

dsm said:

Well, Doom's an old game and maybe they just didn't bother to program the fist attack differntly from the other weapons. I don't know.
About the Q2:Ground Zero chainfist: I found that it was much too pathetic a weapon to be cool - now if that darned thing actually dished out some damage, THEN it would be awesome.
Other than that, I agree that it's cool and I hope that the chainsaw in the new game (if it'll be there) will have a swinging attack slightly similar to the Q2:GZ chainfist - elaborating a little on my idea above, the marine should swing the chainsaw at the enemy when he gets close enough to them (when the fire key is held down).

That thing was retarded, you couldn't predict when it would hit the enemy. In all honesty, if i had a 3 foot long chainsaw-for-a-glove I wouldn't swing it around in the air like it's a freaking claymore. Maybe that's because i actually have a chainsaw; Do you guys have any idea what a chainsaw would do to you? It'd leave a ragged gash (which wouldn't heal for quite some time) the instant it made contact with your flesh and would probably dig in. (Think you're harder than a tree? :) That doesn't need any swinging IMO. And sure there could be UAC construction chainsaws whereever D3's gonna take place.

I'm tired, so i'm gonna just get away from the keyboard....now...night night :)

I wanna see a chainsaw or something similar in DooM 3...because if this whole "slice the guy and he splits in two" or "poke him with the chainsaw and leave a big gaping hole" would be fun...just don't know how you would control it though...maybe have a button and to rotate the chainsaw around, well on the axis parallel with the chain...

Hopefully it won't be too realistic, and use petrol or gas...so like you are having fun hacking away at an imp or something and it runs out...that would suck huge amounts of balls.

Hopefully it won't be too realistic, and use petrol or gas...so like you are having fun hacking away at an imp or something and it runs out...that would suck huge amounts of balls. [/B]

That wouldn't really be realistic either, considering that the game takes place in the future - petrol/gas driven chainsaws are already obsolete - we have chainsaws that use electricity (they require a cable though).
No, if the chainsaw's to be in the new game it has to be an electrically powered chainsaw - and it should NOT use cells, let's say it runs on solar power or a more advanced means of being self-providing.