Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Blastfrog

Monsters waking up when they're not supposed to

So, I've been working on a modified E1M1 from the alphas, and monsters in the hangar bay are waking up when you fire shots from the second floor halway. I can't see any areas where the sound would be leaking through, what's causing this?

The doors marked in the map start out as closed.

I can assume you don't want them deaf? Also, is the Hangar Bay connected to any other sector? (Highlighted in yellow) And the right linedefs are marked as Block Sound? #ObviousQuestionsAreObvious

I don't want to resort to making them deaf, or make sound blocking lines, as there should be no reason that they're even waking up in the first place.

The hangar bay is connected to the closed door in the south-west, the hallway in north-west, and the closed hangar door in the south.

Load up E2M7 in the normal version of Doom 1 to see the layout if you don't understand it from the picture or my descriptions.

Haven't looked at it in detail, but one obvious mistake is thinking that a single 'block sound' line blocks sounds. It doesn't.

First, sound travels from sector to sector. If you split a sector, and place the second half on the other side of the map, a sound made in one half will also be instantly propagated from this twin.

Secondly, to stop sound from travelling from one sector to another, you need to place TWO 'block sound' line barriers between every connecting corridor.

Some examples. Capital letters (A) are sectors. A single vertical line (|) is a normal linedef between two sectors; a double vertical line (||) is a linedef with a 'block sound' property.

Example 1:
A | B | C || D
A sound made in A will propagate to sector B, then C and then D. You need two 'block sound' lines to stop sound.
Example 2:
A | B || C || D
A sound made in A will propagate to B, C but not to D. D is behind two 'block sound' lines.
Example 2:
Al | B || C || D || Ar
Sector A now has two parts on the left (Al) and right (Ar). A sound made in the Al will propagate to B, C then stops. But from Ar the sound also starts propagating, reaching D before stopping. Despite the presence of all these 'block sound' lines, no sector is soundproof.

Thanks, but I already knew about the fact that one needs two blocking sound lines for it to work. I also checked to see if there were any split sectors between the problem areas, and no, there are none.

I have no idea why the pinky demons are waking up in the hangar bay when the player is firing in the second floor hallways, there's nowhere for the sound to travel between the areas. The only sectors between the areas have 0 as their height, which is just as good as them being solid single sided linedefs when it comes to sound behavior.

Start slapping some 'block sound' properties on those places where you think sound cannot be propagated anyway (doors, blocked sectors, etc). See if the behaviour goes away. Also, don't forget any dummy sectors you might have.

Have you tried different nodebuilders? I have often run into the exact same problem, and doing just that tends to make a difference. Sometimes everything is fixed, sometimes the monsters waking up when they shouldn't end up being different ones... Splitting big sectors into smaller sectors is another thing that seems to help.