Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

Scary signs in Doom PWADs?

Are there any epic PWADs with custom graphics, and lots of secrets that would show you a particular secret picture only when you screw up (get stuck, do something stupid)? A mild example is the IWAD "sucks" time, but in this case, applied to WADs and going to secrets you're not supposed to see.

Hmmm, I remember one of Pcorf's levels somewhere in the Death Tormention series did this, but I'm not sure exactly which level or even which episode used it.

longdays had a "people who don't use GL mode are suxxorz" graphic or something that showed up even if you played it in GL.

I'm pretty sure the old Competn contest map helltrak.wad went "OOPS!" if you took the wrong teleporter at the end.

And I haven't seen a Green Herring map yet that doesn't have a huge floating "YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE HERE" in all the places you can't get to unless you idclip.

I remember Eternal Doom had signs similar to what you're describing. There's a texture with skulls which reads "Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enters", used in several levels. There's a couple of signs in Jim Flynn's Map25 with a sign that reads not to enter, and when you turn back, you see a sign not to cross the line, and if you do, you get stuck in a area of lava, and get burned alive.

RjY said:

And I haven't seen a Green Herring map yet that doesn't have a huge floating "YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE HERE" in all the places you can't get to unless you idclip.

My 1994 Tune-Up did something like that (with text written on the floor using sectors), inspired by seeing TGH do this in one of his maps.

I remember Deus Vult had some of these. There was an area with 4 screenshots from multiple wads (one of them was N.U.T.S.). It also had a secret area with a commander keen that made the sound of a cat or something, but I only discovered that by no-clipping, so I am not sure what it was supposed to mean or do.

DeathevokatioN said:

Hmmm, I remember one of Pcorf's levels somewhere in the Death Tormention series did this, but I'm not sure exactly which level or even which episode used it.

DT2 E4M5. If you pressed a gargoyle, you would see two teleporters being revealed at the same time by repeatable lift actions. The one farther from the switch led you to your death, presenting that you're not supposed to get the BFG9000 this way.

Cell said:

DT2 E4M5. If you pressed a gargoyle, you would see two teleporters being revealed at the same time by repeatable lift actions. The one farther from the switch led you to your death, presenting that you're not supposed to get the BFG9000 this way.

Yep, that's the one. :)

There's a dopefish somewhere in E3M7 of DTWID, can't remember how I got to it or if it's even a "you're not supposed to be here" type thing.

Sounds to me like your example relates to "easter eggs" which are not really easter eggs, but are nonetheless uncommon because the conditions for encountering them are uncommon. I don't think Doom really has too many things that fall into this category other than the "sucks" time and the "raving" when using the talk function alone.

By "scary sign", what exactly do you mean? A physical sign? An omen? A revelation?

Not sure if i understood the question right but I remember cutmanmikes Portal having a transparent Sjasface in one of the (secret?)mazes or something. Scared the fucking shit out of me.

Also Legacy of suffering had a really evil secret when you ducked to get under a walkway to get some bonuses the face of the ghostchick popped up behind you so you were stuck in there for awhile. creepy as shit.

There was an area in Hatomo Battles The Yomi Demons where you could see an open window high up a wall with no apparent way to get into the room. I no-clipped in there just to see what was there, and hidden in the back was a big texture of teeth (or something like that, possibly a Blood texture). It struck me as a rather creepy way of saying "You're not supposed to be here".