Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiTROACTiVE

The Archie Sonic Thread

Hey guys, I'm a huge fan of Archie Sonic, so I decided to make a thread to discuss events, characters, issues ans other things about the comics.

If you don't know what I mean about Archie Sonic, then it's a comic book series ran by Archie Comics that is based on The Blue Blur known as Sonic the Hedgehog.

So what do you guys think about the comic book series?

I read a few of the comics back in 93. I surprised this comic franchise has lasted twenty years. But, I'm also surprised the franchise made it twenty years with a huge majority of it's titles being pure shit.

Technician said:

I read a few of the comics back in 93. I surprised this comic franchise has lasted twenty years. But, I'm also surprised the franchise made it twenty years with a huge majority of it's titles being pure shit.

What do you mean by titles? Do you mean the title of the stories or what?

Pretty sure he means the games. Until Colours and Generations, we really haven't seen a fairly stable, consistent title since the classic years. (And yes, that includes the Adventure titles. They were buggy as hell and were more than half shit)

Membrain said:

Pretty sure he means the games. Until Colours and Generations, we really haven't seen a fairly stable, consistent title since the classic years. (And yes, that includes the Adventure titles. They were buggy as hell and were more than half shit)

OK I get it, and I'll admit that some of the new games aren't as great as the old ones.

Eh, the Adventure games weren't that bad. Sure, they had some bugs, but they were pretty good games. Heroes is where it started to get bad, in my opinion.

Regardless, I prefer the old games anyway.

I picked up the first three issues of this series when it started. I didn't care for the artwork, particularly how they drew Dr. Robotnik, but I did like the concept of the Freedom Fighters. I was more interested in drawing my own Sonic comics at that age anyway, so I never followed up on buying anymore of these.

So wait, this is still going? I stopped buying it around issue 50, figured it was pretty much over at that point since they killed off Robotnik. I also wasn't happy with the new character designs, which basically turned it into softcore furry wank material.

Dragonsbrethren said:

So wait, this is still going? I stopped buying it around issue 50, figured it was pretty much over at that point since they killed off Robotnik.

How many times has the Joker been "killed off"? The bad guy never truly dies.

True, but I was pretty much over Sonic by that point anyway, so it was a good time to stop reading it. I knew it continued after that point because I do remember seeing new issues after I stopped reading. I'm just amazed that the comic is still going.

Dragonsbrethren said:

True, but I was pretty much over Sonic by that point anyway, so it was a good time to stop reading it. I knew it continued after that point because I do remember seeing new issues after I stopped reading. I'm just amazed that the comic is still going.

I think one of the main factors of this comic's success is it's one of the few comics that can easily be found at grocery/convenience stores. I always see this comics in most stores I frequent. With most comics, I'd have to make a special trip to the comic den.

Hey guys, who are your favorite characters from the comic? Mine are Sonic the Hedgehog, Tails, Sally Acorn, Antoine D'Collette, Bunnie Rabbot, Hershey the Cat, Wombat Stu and others.

I used to read these all the time when I was younger. I had a subscription and followed it for a few years, especially after they moved from the cartoon style to the more serious, story-driven action comic, but I gradually lost interest in collecting comic books altogether. I still have a bunch of them sleeved and boxed somewhere around here. I think I may even still have the first issue.

Interesting trivia: it's the longest running comic series based on a video game.

I used to follow this comic for years myself. I sincerely remember the last few issues up to 125, and how it ended with everyone thinking sonic was dead. I followed it a few more issues after that and it just got worse and worse. I originally followed the comic because the characters and world resembled the old saturday morning cartoon that I loved so much; however over the years it slowly became a convoluted cesspool.

I personally blame it on Ken Penders, one of the key writers for the comic during the years for wanting to get rid of all of the SatAM sonic characters. Remeber issues 47-50? The endgame project? That was Ken's attemp at killing off Sally once and for all. However, fans got leaked info on his plans and he had to rewrite it. However, later on after issue 125, Ken still got his wish and ruined not only Sally's character, but many others. I stopped following it after Sally flipped on Sonic for choosing to be a freedom fighter still after nearly dying; somthing Sally from the original SatAM show would have never done. Sonic was a soldier, and she knew that.

For me, when I think sonic the hedgehog I think about that SatAM show, sonic games 1 and 2, and sonic 3 with knuckles locked on. The SatAM sonic show was by far one of the best shows I remember from the early nineties, and was notoriously dark for kids for its time. Sonic and his crew were "freedom fighters", rebels/teenage soldiers who survived robotnik's genocide/mass roboticization who were out to save what was left of their home. They were hopelessly outnumbered and outgunned, but still put up a good fight. Characters died, got hurt, had to sneak around and fight a guerilla war against robotnik's dictatorship, and had a lot of character development that made you really care about them. The plot was excellent as well, and the story was intended to be fleshed out in more seasons - but ABC happened to encounter new leadership at the time, and they held the mindset "out with the old, in with the new" and got rid of almost all of their entire morning line-up - including sonic.

For fans of the SatAM sonic show, the archie comic series was a form of refuge. During the years that sonic's popularity was low, the SatAM fans kept sonic's image going and alive through various online communities and close communication with archie's sonic team. However, over the years that relationship fell apart and suddenly SatAM fans were left on the backburn for the newer sonic fans and every 10 year old in existence. Ken Penders was the primary head figure behind this approach. Blame him for the comic's decline.

After the comic fell apart (in my eyes), I started diving in to a lot of great sonic fanfiction from long-time fans of the saturday morning show I loved as well. However, one doesn't need to dive too deep into the sonic community and see how much it connects with the "furry" community - something I had no intention of participating in - and promptly backed off. I still stick around as a low-profile member of the old "Fans united for SatAM" website, but only for the old TV show. Most sonic communities are either swarming with obnoxious kids, or furries. Neither is a group I'd like to be around.

I still have a crate full of archie sonic comics downstairs in the closet next to my newly renovated man-cave and looked through them a month ago sorting through some old computer equipment. I still find myself awed by Pat Spaziante's and Jay Axer's artwork. They both truly have amazing talent.

To be honest, I'm suprised anyone else here was ever a fan of the archie sonic series as well.

NitroactiveStudios said:

Hey guys, who are your favorite characters from the comic? Mine are Sonic the Hedgehog, Tails, Sally Acorn, Antoine D'Collette, Bunnie Rabbot, Hershey the Cat, Wombat Stu and others.

So basically, your favourite character is all of them? :P

Chronohunter45 said:

The SatAM sonic show was by far one of the best shows I remember from the early nineties, and was notoriously dark for kids for its time.

Yup, I'd get up every saturday very early to watch it, and tape it. I still have them all on VHS, sans commercials. Then I grabbed the DVD a few years ago on Ebay, I still haven't opened it. It was kinda cool since it was on so early, I could just watch it by myself and not have to suffer the criticism of the older sibs, lol.

The most recent issue was #234, and I read it. The event that made me sad and nervous is...

Spoiler

Antoine was critically injured after Metal Sonic exploded. Some say he's going to die, and some say he won't. I'm sure hope he'll be OK.

Oh wow, how did I miss this thread?
Ive been getting the comic since issue five.
What have I done with my life.

That said, Ive been reading this book for nearly 19 years, and I have no idea who Hershey is. I keep thinking St. John is referring to a chocolate bar. Who the heck is Hershey? Wasn't he some one shot character from 1997 who was never important again afterwards, to the point where he was bumped of off panel? Those characters were pretty neat..
Speaking of.
My favorite character was Valdez. He was a pretty cool guy. He's probably dead but they never overtly stated it...

Also, something about doom.

Also, also, by sheer coincidence (the reason I found this thread in the first place) SatAM is on Netflix now.

I last read an issue of Archie Sonic around the 105ish mark. I've heard it's both taken a huge dip a quality, come back, then dipped again. I think I may read one just out of sheer morbid curiosity.

TheMionicDonut said:

That said, Ive been reading this book for nearly 19 years, and I have no idea who Hershey is. I keep thinking St. John is referring to a chocolate bar. Who the heck is Hershey? Wasn't he some one shot character from 1997 who was never important again afterwards, to the point where he was bumped of off panel? Those characters were pretty neat..
Speaking of.
My favorite character was Valdez. He was a pretty cool guy. He's probably dead but they never overtly stated it...

Hershey is the female cat who was duped by Drago Wolf into nearly killing Sally. Afterwards, she became a citizen again, and eventually joined the Royal Secret Servcie. She developed into a minor character, and she got her own story. She theh marreid Geoffrey St. John and then went on a honeymoon with him. The last time she was seen was at Antoine and Bunnie's wedding in #174. She was absent for a while, but Geoffrey said she was dead. But...

Spoiler

We got no evidence of this, and in #233, Geoffrey claimed he and Hershey were on seperete missions. He went to the scene where she possibly died, but he couldn't find her body. This means there's a good chance she's alive.

As for Valdez, I liked him too, but I think he's dead. I would however like to write a fanfic to bring him back to life.