Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LexiMax

Odamex Community Grab Bag server

Server: funcrusherplus.net:10601
The server is running Odamex 0.5.6, which you can download from the Odamex Website here. I personally also prefer the Doomseeker server browser to the launcher included with Odamex, which you can grab here. If you notice other players have jerky movement, Options Menu -> Network Options -> Position Update Freq. -> Every Tic

- - -

I am announcing the creation of a "Community Grab Bag" deathmatch server for Odamex. The purpose of this server will be to run your deathmatch maps. That's right map authors, your deathmatch maps. Because Odamex can load WAD files on the fly, I don't need to pick and choose or rotate out maps, or insist that they be part of some compilation, I can just add them to the server and go.

If you've mapped in the past and have had your map slept on and not hosted, there is no better way to have your map seen by the multiplayer community than this initiative. If you've never mapped, what better time to start, especially since people will be able to see your work? If this becomes popular enough, I might actually compile the best maps into a "Community Grab Bag" compilation and add them to my Odamex FFA Rotation server.

A few rules:

• This server is not for existing multi-author compilations, even if they're rarely played. Those belong on the FFA Rotation server. The ethos of this server is to have the shortest possible time from community members creating maps to them being played online. If you have some older standalone maps that you want to be played, submit them here. If you have some older maps from older compilations that you want to 'fix' or 'improve', I can dig that, but you should break your maps out into a small standalone WAD.
  • The server will be running a FFA configuration that is mostly oldschool settings but with freelook and item respawn enabled. No maps that _require_ jumping.
  • Test your maps in Odamex to make sure they work. Pretend like you're making maps for ZDaemon except without slopes, and you'll probably be all right.
  • The maps have to be playable. Gimmick maps, tiny arenas, or just plain bad maps can be rejected at my discretion, both before and after I've added them to the rotation.
  • You can have as many maps in your WAD file as you please. However, please let me know what the map lump names are, so I don't have to guess.
  • Try to keep the size of your WAD file to be less than 500kb in size. This is a totally arbitrary restriction that I might make more granular to account for multi-map WAD files (if you have one, talk to me), but I don't want to have people download a 10 megabyte WAD file just to play one map.
  • You can upgrade an existing map or mapset that you have submitted. To this end, please make liberal use of alpha suffixes, beta suffixes, rc suffixes, an incremental last letter or number, or something to make sure players don't have to delete your WAD every time you update it.
You can submit your maps that you would like hosted in this thread. The server goes through a random rotation, and sooner or later your map will pop up.

Can I link to single deathmatch maps that I didn't make but would like to play?

Also would you consider doing a similar thing for Cooperative maps?

40oz said:

Can I link to single deathmatch maps that I didn't make but would like to play?

I'm gonna say "no". This is more meant for map authors to showcase their own deathmatch maps who might not have had the means to do so otherwise. If you can find the dude who made it though and he says yes...sure. :)

40oz said:

Also would you consider doing a similar thing for Cooperative maps?

The thought has crossed my mind. It's been a while since I've tried coop in odamex though...will have to take a looksee at how well it works these days.

Here are two maps of a DM megawad of mine that's currently on hold called Fifteen Minutes to Doom. The whole idea is that each map is completed from start to finish in fifteen minutes or less. Maps are MAP01 and MAP31.

This is a really cool idea and a perfect opportunity for me to make some cool deathmatch maps without being tied to a project. I'm not familiar with Odamex though, I assume boom format is acceptable? Also, what do I do about the map names? Is leaving them as map01, map02 etc. acceptable?

All of the maps up to this post have been added.

Captain Toenail said:

This is a really cool idea and a perfect opportunity for me to make some cool deathmatch maps without being tied to a project. I'm not familiar with Odamex though, I assume boom format is acceptable? Also, what do I do about the map names? Is leaving them as map01, map02 etc. acceptable?

Yes, that's fine. It doesn't really matter what the lump names are called, but if your WAD consists of more than just MAP01 by itself please let me know.

Yeah! And some of my maps even require you to open doors manually! Some have you spawn with just a pistol! THE HORROR.

OH GOD WHY CAN I NOT JUST CIRCLE STRAFE IN A LARGE FLAT AREA FOR TEN MINUTES STRAIGHT WITH THE SUPER SHOTGUN WHAT PERSON HAS THE NERVE TO CALL THIS DEATHMATCH

REAL EDIT: Since I should be responsive to criticism, I will take what you said into consideration. Maybe the invuln is a bit much, but the map is still called "BFG Arena" so I'll be trying to make it work within that context.

bucket, while it's a good idea to think about the player's survival against the brutal firepower given to his enemies, giving someone a 30s freebie on anything is just an overkill and breaks the very concept of ffa. players are expected to die at a fairly swift pace in doom ffa, that's why it's not called quake3 1on1. the natural and most effective means of defence against the bfg are walls. :p

On the contrary, I think it can be a useful tool for turning the tide of the game. It can be especially exciting when it's put up for grabs like it is in that map, instead of having a single path to it. But I would agree that it's overkill in an arena setting where there's nowhere to hide, so I'll have to separate these ideas.

Server has been updated with toe's two new maps and an updated entry by Jroc. I've also removed map15 of bucketdm from the rotation.