Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

Reversed WAD

I have an idea about a Doom WAD, which has reversed gamplay. I mean, MAP01 looks like hellish Icon of Sin final level, MAP02 looks like a hardcore hell/underworld level, etc. until e.g. MAP30, which is on a UAC base.

Difficulty doesn't matter, might be easier and easier, but also might be harder and harder, as usually. However, this isn't good, because hellish levels are rather designed for big fights, isn't it?

What do you think about this idea?

Well at least you would get that pesky icon of sin out of the way early on, rather than play through 29 levels, knowing all the while what was coming at the end.

Be on the side of evil this time, so the Icon of Sin at the start is a mere wall decoration, because you're not enemies, so it has no reason to activate.

Also, everything that was inside is outside, and everything outside is inside.

And you could scatter a bunch of Icons of Sin amongst dozens of barrels, and just leave a rocket launcher nearby...

Lame. Boring. Uninteresting. Crap. Garbage.

Holy shit, I canz play Doom 2, REVERSED? HELL MAPS EARLY IN THE WAD? CRAZY! Wow duuuude, amazing! :D Let`s start another COMMUNITY MEGAWAD ASAP!

Thank you for reading this deliberately harsh sounding post. Sincerely, darkreaver.

Hell to Techbase progression must have been done before. "Fighting you way out of hell" is pretty much the standard for Doom, isn't it?

I have already seen some attempts at a wad where you play as a demon, but they all were kind of lame.

What about this:
Maybe the Icon of Sin realized that all the demons sucked compared to Doomguy, so it creates a dark, super evil duplicate of the hero and sends it out to battle. So you could have a start a Map30-like arena and fight your way to the techbase where the real Doomguy already waits for you.
That way, you could still have all the original elements of the gameplay without having to change them to fit into a demon theme.
Totally not original, I know, but I would surely enjoy such a wad.

I'm not thinking of "fight on the evil side" or "fight back from hell" style. My imagination is a WAD which looks like you play "backwards": standard Doom-ish levels in reversed order.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

Well at least you would get that pesky icon of sin out of the way early on, rather than play through 29 levels, knowing all the while what was coming at the end.

How do you know? Only the design and style tha you can suggest.

MSPaintR0cks said:

Well, then it`s a nice little idea, but I am not sure if it is interesting enough to build an entire megawad out of it. (=

Doesn't have to. I just told an example.

Katamori said:

My imagination is a WAD which looks like you play "backwards": standard Doom-ish levels in reversed order.

Prepare to face the epic challenge of completing MAP30: Entryway fully loaded with a BFG from previous levels.

I think Memento Mori 2 started with Hell themed levels, with UAC base levels somewhere in the middle, and then back to hell again towards the end. I kinda liked that theme.

Hmm seems interesting... but I like idea of evil side more.

Doomguy got into undead core of alien technology and is part of the team using hell weapon and re-programmed monsters against hell istelf. You, as a evil doppleganger and techno-magic clone of him need to stop and assasinate him along with unholy technology and artifacts stolen from Hell. In there actual sprites of romero-head may be replaced with doomguy ones. It's no bigger blasphemy than someone who wants take place as ruler of world, and takes place of lord of hell itself. It may be good intentions of doomguy or evil one, because hellish technology could corrupted him and merged with it. Hero of previous games can be greatest Villain now of both, enemy of hell and humanity. This is your task, as you bear his most image, member of Hell Guard Forces... or you are just betrayed and throwed from throne IOS who escaped in human body before it's own minions try to kill him. To regain what is rightfully his. To terminate Doomguy, hell-ruler wannabe. :P

Gez said:

Prepare to face the epic challenge of completing MAP30: Entryway fully loaded with a BFG from previous levels.

Lol, not bad! However, it depends on the line of difficulty.

As I said:
Difficulty doesn't matter, might be easier and easier, but also might be harder and harder, as usually. However, this isn't good, because hellish levels are rather designed for big fights, isn't it?

Why not progressively harder and bigger? The DoomGuy is trying to escape from the inner sanctum of hell, so it'll throw tougher baddies at him the further along he gets. Just because its out of the ordinary doesn't mean it won't work. I for one welcome a UAC base final fight.

darkreaver said:

Holy shit, I canz play Doom 2, REVERSED? HELL MAPS EARLY IN THE WAD? CRAZY! Wow duuuude, amazing! :D Let`s start another COMMUNITY MEGAWAD ASAP!

Thank you for reading this deliberately harsh sounding post. Sincerely, darkreaver.

The idea may not be the most unique but you're a fucking asshole.

darkreaver said:

Brilliant response.

Or maybe, the idea could be expanded upon, instead of dropping piles of feces onto your keyboard and hitting submit. The TNT2 project already aims to do this as I recall, as the map progression has the player returning from Hell to Earth.

Marnetmar said:

The idea may not be the most unique but you're a fucking asshole.

I`m just saying what most people think.
And no, I`m not an asshole that fucks.

Have a good day =)

Mr. Chris said:

Fighting out of hell is one idea..kinda like Painkiller.

Mind you, Battle Out Of Hell is about getting again into Hell, not exactly escaping from it. It's all about intro, all action takes place in Purgatory, only last area (Shadowland) is reimagined Hell.

Well, there's Surge already released with idea of escaping from Hell, and TNT2 in progress (escaping from Hell to one of moonbases, not Earth but who knows how it ends up like).

Phobus said:

Hell to Techbase progression must have been done before. "Fighting you way out of hell" is pretty much the standard for Doom, isn't it?

I think Equinox sort of did this.

What if you were a denizen of Hell trying to escape execution, and also trying to not get killed by marines on your way out? The game might actually get harder as you go long. :)

P.S. sorry if this has been mentioned already - just digging into this thread now.

This idea of playing as the monsters brings back memories of a wonderfully bullshit wad.... DRE

darkreaver said:

Hey stop necroing threads I`ve been acting like a douche in!

Good threads never get old!