Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kyka

Other FPS's that Doomers play.

You evil game developers you! You may be able to pull your shallow shenanigans on the modern gamer, who on average, has the attention span of a squirrel on crack, and who likely cries when the WoW servers go down for more than 12 seconds. But we here at Doomworld are a discerning bunch when it comes to gaming. You can't satisfy us with a game whose main selling point is 16x anti aliasing or the latest 'reactive.' AI. Oh no. We will not be distracted by your shimmering skies, led astray by your fancy rendering, bamboozled by the 80 gatrillion pixels all clamoring for our visual awe.

We expect better!

The reason for this thread: I was just curious as to what other FPS's, besides Doom, that actually appeals to you guys. I mean let's face it. If we are playing Doom, then we are not the sort of sheep who buy the latest 'big' thing just because it looks pretty and has a huge marketing budget. (Yes I'm talking to you Gears of War.) No, apparently, we are much more concerned with deeper things like gameplay mechanics, elagance of design and perhaps even a little cerebral involvement to spice up our mindless zombie slaughtering gun rampages.

Anyway, enough ranting out of me. Here are a few of my favorites. I'm sure there are many others that I can't think of right now, but anyway.

Deus Ex. (The original, Natch!)
Quake (Loved how moody and dark this game was, despite its imperfections.)
HL. Still one of the best FPS every made.
HL2 Yes, even the boating sections. HL2 was still a remarkable game.
Bioshock.
All of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games. (Yes even you, Clear Sky.)
Quake 2 (Linear and samey, but still a good game.)
Far Cry. (Yes this is a classic example of 'pretty' but it remains some of the best Single player combat I have seen.)
Quake Arena. Best. Multiplayer. Ever. Period.

I have played and finished just about every FPS I have been able to get my hands on, but these are some of the few that I would (and have) played more than once.

The only other FPS's I plays are:

Duke3D
Quake 1,2 and 3
PowerSlave
Unreal tournament 99 and 3
Wolf 3D and spear of destiny
ROTT
Shadow Warrior
Hexen
Heretic

Hmm, lets see.

Jedi Knight/Dark Forces series
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
S.T.A.L.K.E.R: SoC & CoP
Soldier of Fortune 2 Double Helix
Quake 1, 2, 3, 4 & ETQW.
Hexen 1 & 2
Blood
Shadow Warrior
James Bond 007: Agent Under Fire & Goldeneye.
Borderlands
Descent
Battlefront II
Republic Commando

Favorites:

Heretic
Hexen
Strife
Duke3D
Quake
Quake II
Half-Life
Deus Ex
Timesplitters (& 2)
Metroid Prime et al
Borderlands
Rage

I have a backlog of FPS games in Steam that could choke a monkey, but too busy playing Doom atm

Avoozl...some of those are not FPS games (eg. GTA, Mario, Dead Space, etc).

For me:
Quake
Quake 2
Quake 4
ET:Quake Wars
Unreal
Wolf3D
Blood
Duke3D
The Suffering
Black
Left 4 Dead (occasionally)

Let's see...

• Quake 1, 2, and 3 (I replay the first almost annually)
  • Descent (all three)
  • Doom 3
  • ROTT
  • Unreal Tournament '99
  • Metroid Prime (all three; I replay the first one in this series almost annually as well)

In no order:

Wolfenstein 3d/Spear of Destiny
System Shock 2
Blood
Half Life 2 (haven't played one, yet)
Duke Nukem 3d
Call of Duty: World at War
Heretic
Bioshock
Quake/Quake 2
Halo
Descent (does this count as an FPS?)
Quest For Hussein
Star Wars: Republic Commando

I don't really play anything other than Doom now, but this is what I used to play.

Other games I enjoy that aren't FPS's are:
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (1 & 2)
Ms. Pac-Man (arcade game)
Pac-Man World (1, 2 & 3)
Resident Evil (2 and up)

PRIMEVAL said:

Avoozl...some of those are not FPS games (eg. GTA, Mario, Dead Space, etc).

Yeah, I accidentally went overboard and listed most other games I liked which aren't because I am just really tired, but I did remember and removed them minutes after.

Every id game ever
Every Valve game ever
Dark Forces/Jedi Knight/etc.
Duke3D
Blood
ROTT
Unreal Tournament
Metroid Prime series
Borderlands
FarCry
Call of Duty 2/3/5
Mirror's Edge (highly underrated in my opinion)
Battlefield 1942/Heroes
Star Wars Battlefront/Battlefront 2
Star Wars Republic Commando
SiN/SiN Episodes (goddamn still can't believe it was cancelled after one installment)
Bioshock
Goldeneye
AVP/AVP 2 (not the new AVP though)
FEAR
Morrowind/Oblivion (maybe that's cheating a bit, as it's not shooting, but I'd throw it in)
Mount & Blade (if TES is included, it only seems fair)
Fallout 3
Prey
Minecraft (that one really seems like a stretch, but eh, I'll count it)

geekmarine said:

Mirror's Edge (highly underrated in my opinion)

I totally forgot this one! Yeah, I agree that it's underrated. But I sometimes wish there was some sort of open level in it where you could just run around and do parkour stuff.

Quake 1/2/3/4/ETQW
Doom 1/2/3/RoE
Serious sam 1/2/3
Heretic
Hexen 1/2
Rage
AvP 2/3
Unreal 2
Painkiller
Red Faction
Half-Life: Opposing Force
RtCW
Strife
F.E.A.R.

Singularity, Hard Reset, Darkness II, Half-Life and Half-Life 2 are good too.

Doom is the only FPS game I really play-play (I don't count Deus Ex as one since it's more of an adventure/rpg game, IMO). Heretic, DN3D and Shadow warrior are fine like once in a couple of years.

Yeah, I'm not really into FPSs. Other than Doom.

doom...speedrunning/art

quake 3/quake live...tricks/ctf

system shock 2...because it is the best

deus ex...because it is the also pretty good

half-life 2...because i prefer it over half-life 1...omg!

Edited by The Lag

Quake 1
Goldeneye
Perfect Dark
CoD 1,2,4 and WaW
Hexen
Rainbow Six
Deus Ex
Command and Conquer: Renegade
Counter-Strike
Unreal Tournament 2004

SP:
- Quake 1/2
- Half Life series
- Serious Sam series
- Heretic, Hexen etc
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R series

MP (don't often do this except at the occasional lan with friends):
- Unreal Tournament ('99)
- Battlefield 1942 and various mods
- Team Fortress Classic

Guess that's about it. When it comes to games I'm more into RPGs these days.

Morrowind and Skyrim right now, altough they do not count as FPS, but whatever. And I still got Mass Effect 2 installed, but I haven't played that game in months. Every other FPS game I played weren't really fun enough for me to keep them on my hd for longer periods. I just played them, enjoyed them, and threw them of my hd after a while.

I think I got the Bethesda fever or something :p

Aside from the Doom Engine games, my favorite straight-FPS is definitely Painkiller. I could probably wax on about it all day, but it's one of the few games to have gotten things "right", IMO (though admittedly the player's a bit slow if you don't abuse quickjumping/bunnyhopping :P). A lot of people will equate the game with Serious Sam, but for some reason the game feels a lot more Doom-like to me. Or at least halfway between Sam and Doom. ;P

Speaking of, I've been enjoying Serious Sam 3 a lot, and it's probably the best straight FPS (i.e. not DX:HR) I've played from recent times. I've tried the Hard Reset demo and wasn't too terribly impressed with it from a classic-gamer standpoint (player speed was the real kick in the balls, as usual), but it still seemed decently fun. I might pick it up at some point 'cause I'm a sucker for upgradable weapons.

[EDIT] Whoops, forgot about Bioshock. I definitely enjoyed those, especially for the fact that they subverted one of the most bastardly modern-game tropes out there and made the game nonlinear on a per-map level. Definitely got my attention, that. :)

Well, I just started up Quake2 on Hard+ skill. Finally found that "missing" skill level I had been looking for in it. Hard had become so easy that I had to do weird things like play with mouse on left hand and keyboard on right to get the challenge back.

Then I also played Serious Sam First Encounter through on Serious skill. Played a few levels of the Second Encounter, but then I sort of got bored, I guess I'll return to it later.

Battlefield 3. I can't recall any other FPSs I've played recently.

Edit: oh wait, i was playing BF1942 last night. And whoever said Minecraft needs to learn what an FPS is.

I haven't played an FPS for a long time, so on the weekend I ended up installing Bioshock 2 and that's been pretty fun so far. I'll have to reinstall the first Bioshock when I'm done and finish that off too. I tend to buy games when they come way down in price then have them gathering dust for months and then one day BOOM I feel like playing one of them. I still have things like Metro 2033 on my shelf waiting to be played. Have yet to pick up Rage...

So it's time to list stuff again.

Bioshock
Bioshock 2
Quake
Quake 2
Quake 4
FEAR
Half-Life
Half-Life 2
Stalker
Stalker Call Of Pripyat
Clive Barker's Undying
Painkiller

Otherwise I tend to play a lot of Bethesda's RPG stuff like Oblivion and Skyrim, plus Fallout 3, and also Obsidian's Fallout New Vegas. Then there's things like Guild Wars and Red Faction Guerrilla and Jedi Academy ... Just sticking to FPS games gets boring.

The only games I've played recently that aren't Doom and fall (vaguely) under the definition of FPS are all on the XBox360:

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (3-Player Splitscreen FFA for a few rounds with my Dad and brother yesterday)
Portal 2 (it kind of counts, in my book - this was 2 player co-op with a guest last weekend)
Duke Nukem Forever (Decided an "insane" playthrough was a thing I wanted to do)

- Quake 1/2/Arena
- Return to Castle Wolfenstein/Tides of War
- Carnivores 2
- Team Fortress 2
- PowerSlave
- Chasm The Rift
- Red Orchestra
- Half-Life
- Halo
- Heretic/Hexen/Hexen II
- HacX
- Modern Warfare